From Sunny Florida - Nice to meet everyone!

Drop in and tell us a little about yourself.
SaintAuggie

From Sunny Florida - Nice to meet everyone!

Post by SaintAuggie »

New forum member living in Florida - always looking to learn something new! I have been a “collector” of things since my childhood. My first collections I can remember as a kid were coins & beer cans in the 1970’s, then WW2 relics when I lived in Europe with my family. All of those are long gone, unfortunately, but still have the memories, including the smell of sweat & cordite in the chin strap of a particular GI helmet. For me, the thrill is in the hunt and in learning the history. Fast forward to my adult years, and I primarily collect & repair vintage fountain pens and have recently gotten into pocket knives (vintage as well as some modern ones).

I think I’m drawn to the history of certain utilitarian objects, and thinking about the lives of those who may have used a particular pen or knife before me. I find it incredibly satisfying to “bring something back to life & service” that may have lain in a desk drawer or garage for 50-100 years, and being able to use it again. I also enjoy the “ritual” involved with restoration and with daily use. IMO, certain things built between 1900-1970 were built in ways that today’s “planned obsolescence” & disposable culture don’t always appreciate. But I do. I mainly focus on American-made products, but I can appreciate quality items made in other countries.

Fountain pens for me started in college when I really wanted a nice pen and could not afford one. So I picked up a 1940’s Sheaffer pen at a flea market for a few dollars, learned how they worked, invested in basic repair tools, made lots of friends & acquaintances who were incredibly generous with time and knowledge, learned from my mistakes & over time accumulated a collection in the hundreds: primarily Parker, Sheaffer, Wahl-Eversharp, & Waterman. I enjoy sharing my knowledge with others.

My interest in pocket knives has had a similar, but more recent evolution. Although I’ve always had a few knives around associated with hunting or fishing, or as a Boy Scout as a kid, the pocket knife “passion” for me began only over the last couple of years. I’m mainly drawn to vintage jack knives, canoe and Barlow-style patterns. I’m a fan of bone and love the patina that old bone or stag takes on over time. To date, I’ve restored about a dozen knives (nothing extreme, mainly just basic cleaning, polishing and sharpening to bring a dusty, lint-clogged relic back to user condition), but I enjoy using them daily.

Looking forward to reading from the experiences of others and appreciate the opportunity to see things through the shared experience of this community. Cheers!
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: From Sunny Florida - Nice to meet everyone!

Post by edge213 »

Welcome to AAPK
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Howdy SaintAuggie,::welcome:: to AAPK! ::handshake::
We all know what happens when we assume things, but can I go out on a limb and guess that you're in N.E. Florida? ::shrug:: We are in the middle of the Panhandle.
You'll find a lot of us get great satisfaction in the cleaning up of old knives and I'm sure you've noticed there are some very competent knife mechanics on the forum, too.
Enjoy your stay and amuse us with pictures when you can. :)
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
BWT

Post by BWT »

Welcome to AAPK ::handshake:: If you ever make it over to central Florida there’s a knife store in Lakeland. Also January 31, and the 1st and 2nd of February there’s a knife show at the RP Funding center in Lakeland. They usually have around close to 200 tables. The Knife Place is open Wednesday thru Saturday. I’m in Winter Haven so maybe I will see you in Lakeland?
Bill
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Nice to meet you and ::welcome:: to AAPK.

John
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Welcome from a fellow knife and fountain pen collector!
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
SaintAuggie

Post by SaintAuggie »

Thank you to everyone who already responded tonight! The warm welcome & encouragement is appreciated. And yep, LOL, I’m in NE FL. I grew up in S FL, and then my occupation/s took me all over the country, so I’ve spent time every state in our nation (at some point) and have been fortunate to call many of our states “home” for some period of my life, including AK, MI, MO, MN, NC, TX, WA, etc. I have loved living in every one of those places and have fond memories & stories about each. We really live in a beautiful country and have amazing people!

I appreciate all the info on knife shops and shows in our area. I have family in both Central FL and S FL so I’m in those parts pretty often during the year. I’ll figure out the details and hope to make it to one or more of the shows this year. Would be something fun to take my kids to someday, and maybe run into other folks who frequent this forum. In the meantime, I’ll lurk around AAPK a bit & see what I can pick up with respect to repair/restoration and recommendations. Once I figure out the forum basics, I’ll post a few pics to see what advice more experienced collectors may offer.

And if anyone ever has an “off forum” question about pens, feel free to tap into me through a DM or email. I can’t promise I’ll always respond timely (you know how it is with work, school-aged kids & life in general), but I can promise you that I’ll respond eventually, always endeavor to treat you respectfully, and keep my posts here limited to knife-related topics and questions. Best regards - Chris

Return to “Member Introductions”