Good to be Here...

Drop in and tell us a little about yourself.
Xyphos

Re: Good to be Here...

Post by Xyphos »

^ Not bad-- does it prevent further corrosion ?
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

If you use a knife regularly, as in a EDC on a regular basis, even if you rotate your knives, it should not corrode. With regular use, you are always wiping down the blade before you close it and put it back in your pocket, this stops corrosion and pitting. This also works on the scales, your hands natural oils will keep the handles in good condition, it is the old theory, use it or lose it. Hope this helps, and enjoy your time on the forum, good people here. ::tu::
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Quick Steel wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:59 pm I only did it one time on this CAMCO Barlow both as an experiment and because the I thought the blade looked particularly rough. I can't quite recallwhether I used a fruit or soaked it in some apple cider vinegar. In any event I was pleased with the result.

P1030904.JPG

I like it, QS. ::tu::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Xyphos

Post by Xyphos »

cudgee wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:33 pm If you use a knife regularly, as in a EDC on a regular basis, even if you rotate your knives, it should not corrode. With regular use, you are always wiping down the blade before you close it and put it back in your pocket, this stops corrosion and pitting. This also works on the scales, your hands natural oils will keep the handles in good condition, it is the old theory, use it or lose it. Hope this helps, and enjoy your time on the forum, good people here. ::tu::
That is not what I've found with HC steels used on many trad slipjoints. I clean my knives after using every time but acids from food will begin corroding immediately. Further proof is when I taste metal in my food. That's corrosion.
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Xyphos wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:13 pm
cudgee wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:33 pm If you use a knife regularly, as in a EDC on a regular basis, even if you rotate your knives, it should not corrode. With regular use, you are always wiping down the blade before you close it and put it back in your pocket, this stops corrosion and pitting. This also works on the scales, your hands natural oils will keep the handles in good condition, it is the old theory, use it or lose it. Hope this helps, and enjoy your time on the forum, good people here. ::tu::
That is not what I've found with HC steels used on many trad slipjoints. I clean my knives after using every time but acids from food will begin corroding immediately. Further proof is when I taste metal in my food. That's corrosion.
Interesting, i have never had that problem. ::shrug::
Xyphos

Post by Xyphos »

Maybe because i live on a coast --
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

....welcome to AAPK!!!!................. ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ...........................

Return to “Member Introductions”