Greetings

Drop in and tell us a little about yourself.
Winnipeg Gentleman

Greetings

Post by Winnipeg Gentleman »

Greetings all. I'm new to the site, so the following is a little bit about me:

I go by the name 'Winnipeg Gentleman' on here, but my real name's Darren. I'm from Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. For those that don't know where that is, just think of North Dakota. Winnipeg is just about an hour or so north of the US border at North Dakota.

I'm 47 (48 in July), and I'm a retired writer. I'm interested in astrophysics and cosmology; sci-fi and horror movies (especially the 80s indie splatter movies); extreme horror, bizarro, and sci-fi literature; classic 80s heavy metal; philosophy; and of course knives.

I mostly collect stilettos, but I also have several other different patterns of all different colors and handle types. I've recently been collecting red and similar-to-red Case knives with the silver script shield.

I'm sure there are other Canadians here on the site, so let's hear from you so we can see how many.

Winnipeg Gentleman
whitebuffalo58

Re: Greetings

Post by whitebuffalo58 »

I'm interested in astrophysics and cosmology; sci-fi and horror movies (especially the 80s indie splatter movies); extreme horror, bizarro, and sci-fi literature; classic 80s heavy metal; philosophy; and of course knives.
Welcome to AAPK. Other then knives, (and personally I do love me some classic 80's rock) you probably won't find many to share a high percentage of those things with here. I did try to watch one of those 80's horror movies once, but when that feller got up after the third time being shot, stabbed in the eye with a knittin' needle and burnt with acid, I plumb lost interest.

But, to each their own and you'll find lots of folks to share your interest in knives with here.

WB
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

whitebuffalo58 wrote:
I'm interested in astrophysics and cosmology; sci-fi and horror movies (especially the 80s indie splatter movies); extreme horror, bizarro, and sci-fi literature; classic 80s heavy metal; philosophy; and of course knives.
Welcome to AAPK. Other then knives, (and personally I do love me some classic 80's rock) you probably won't find many to share a high percentage of those things with here. I did try to watch one of those 80's horror movies once, but when that feller got up after the third time being shot, stabbed in the eye with a knittin' needle and burnt with acid, I plumb lost interest.

But, to each their own and you'll find lots of folks to share your interest in knives with here.

WB
I think I saw that same movie, was he finally killed by a karate kick from Lew Alcinder?
whitebuffalo58

Post by whitebuffalo58 »

Ya know, I don't think they ever did kill that son of a gun. The part that intrigued me was, after "supposedly" killing him for a third time, they sat right down beside him...with their back turned to him!! HELLO!!!!

I saw no sign of intelligent life anywhere in that first half, so I wasn't gonna watch the second half. I'm pretty sure he showed up in several more movies after that, though.

WB
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Welcome Winnipeg Gent.
Most knife collectors are American and nearly all fine collectible knives are in USA. I have never understood why there is so much less interest in knives in Canada. And try finding any collectible knife at a flea market, garage sale, second hand store, etc. here in Canada and all you might see is the occasional Chinese knife from back when China quality was low.
I live in the West Kootenays in South Central B.C., Nelson is the main town here.
kj
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Welcome!
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Welcome to AAPK!! ::welcome:: ::welcome:: . Hope to see some pictures of your knives soon. You are only a few hours north of us here in Sioux Falls.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
Winnipeg Gentleman

Post by Winnipeg Gentleman »

Hi again all and thank you to all who welcomed me here.

Kootenay Joe:

Always nice seeing a fellow Canadian. I have no idea why knife collecting isn't as popular here in Canada as it is down in the US. You would think that with our very strict gun laws that knives would be focused on a lot more when it comes to collecting. While it's true that our population is only a tenth of the US, I have no idea why the percentage of our population interested in knife collecting isn't the same as the percentage of theirs. We should have proportional availability here in Canada when it comes to knife stores, knife shows, etc., but it certainly doesn't seem like we do at all.

Olde Cutler:

Hi there. Ever make it up here to Winnipeg, seeing as how relatively close you are in Sioux Falls? As for showing pictures of my collection, I just uploaded pictures in the Case section of the public gallery here showing my Case silver script knives, plus I just uploaded some group pictures of my stiletto collection in my personal picture gallery here in the site. As the days and weeks go by I'll be uploading more pictures showing individual knives close-up.

Winnipeg Gentleman
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

Welcome to AAPK from another Canadian here in Saskatoon.
I read a lot of science fiction when I was a kid, could never really get into watching it on a screen of any kind though.
I am mainly interested in the older, traditional style pocket knives.
I think a lot of the reason we don't have as much interest in knife collecting here in Canada is that we do not have the same tradition of knife manufacturing that some of the regions of the US do. We do have Grohmann knives in Nova Scotia but the US had hundreds of knife manufacturing companies in the early years, and over a thousand different companies selling knives. Most of the pocket knives that were for sale in Canada, when I was a kid (been carrying a pocket knife since I was 6 years old), were the Richards and Imperial shell handled knives, Premier Cutlerly knives, some lower end German knives, and in later years a lot of hardware stores had a Schrade Walden display of knives for sale.
Dan

Return to “Member Introductions”