Another Newbie from California

Drop in and tell us a little about yourself.
RCMsocal

Another Newbie from California

Post by RCMsocal »

Hello all and thanks for all the information I have gleaned from lurking at this site for the last few weeks. I found a couple of my older pocketknives in my deceased father's stuff that has been in my garage for a several years (inside a toolbox containing some of my grandfather's old tools). With the help of AAPK I was able to identify what I had and find someone to fix them up a bit. Unfortunately (just kidding) I seem to have caught the "bug" and just purchased a GEC 25 on eBay to tide me over until Gramps's knives are ready. Now I just need to figure out how to restore his old drawknife and Disston and Sons saws! Thanks again for all the knowledge you have and will be sending my way. Russ
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Re: Another Newbie from California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

::welcome::

Welcome fellow Californian! NorCal, CenCal or SoCal?
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
RCMsocal

Post by RCMsocal »

Deep in SoCal near Pasadena now.
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Welcome to AAPK!! ::welcome:: ::welcome:: Restoring old tools that belonged to ancestors is always a worthwhile pursuit. I use my grandpas old RT brand draw knife for decoy carving. Really easy to sharpen a draw knife since the edge is straight. Put your stone on top of wood blocks on your work table until only the cutting edge is in contact with the stone. Then let the handles ride on the table top and work back & forth. Hand saws are easy to rehab. Your will need a triangular file and a saw set though. Good luck!!
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
RCMsocal

Post by RCMsocal »

Thanks Olde Cutler! Just like with knives it looks like restoring tools is another hobby where one thing leads to another and another. I do have more questions about how to deal with the handles on the drawknife but maybe I should wait til I figure out how to post pictures and take those to another thread? Thanks again--my grandfather was a railroad carpenter for his whole life but I only have a few things of his I can try to preserve.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

RCM welcome aboard. ::handshake::
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

RCMsocal wrote:Deep in SoCal near Pasadena now.
I'm NW of you in Ventura County. I worked in Glendale for 6 years.
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

RCMsocal, ::welcome:: to AAPK! The RCM of your username caught my eye. RCM was the logo of my father-in-law's meat business in central Florida. R------ Custom Meats. :)
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
RCMsocal

Post by RCMsocal »

Thanks--My uncle lived in St. Petersburg for many years and one of my grandfathers had a meat delivery route in California back in the 30's before he opened his own small grocery store. Have one of the old butcher blocks from that store in my house. RCM
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

::welcome:: Russ
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb

Return to “Member Introductions”