Greetings from CA.

Drop in and tell us a little about yourself.
1awg

Greetings from CA.

Post by 1awg »

Hello everyone. Total newby here. Just collect motorcycles,....but I recently was thinking about an old switchblade a dear old long friend gave to me a long time ago. So I dug it out and discovered it's an 11" Rosco.

It looks like the day it was given to me in the late 70's. Pulled out of barn wall above a workbench. I had no idea how collectable it was until looking on the Internet.

Just thought I'd let you all know that there's one out there you didn't know about.

Take care!

Sorry,...don't know how to post a picture.
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Re: Greetings from CA.

Post by djknife13 »

hello California. yeah, that's how it all starts. In a couple years you will be welcoming in new collectors and traveling cross country on your bike to a knife show. At least they are easier to store than motorcycles. Anyway welcome to the site. ___Dave from Minnesota
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Motorcycles and switchblades, huh? Yup, you've come to the right place... ::welcome:: ...you're among friends now.

Check out this thread (viewtopic.php?f=98&t=50258 ) and get that Rosco uploaded ASAP...pictures are what feed the beast around here, and the beast is always hungry.

Aloha,

~Q~
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Welcome to AAPK. Can't wait to see a picture.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

1awg: ::welcome::

To post a picture, you use the "Attachments" tab that is below the typing area when creating or replying to a post. After selecting the "Attachments" tab, then click the "Add files" button and select and upload the picture from your computer. After the picture uploads, a new button will appear next to the attachment called "Place Inline". Push that button and it will create the code in your forum post to display the picture. The code will look something like this:

Code: Select all

[attachment=0]22886252_293470894489639_5572455618874613150_n.jpg[/attachment]
And that will do this:
22886252_293470894489639_5572455618874613150_n.jpg
FYI: This Halloween costume was NOT my idea. No Labrador should be subjected to such humiliation...
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

::welcome:: 1awg to AAPK from the Florida Panhandle. Would you happen to be an electrician? ::hmm:: Just wonderin'.
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
Baykeeper

Post by Baykeeper »

Welcome to AAPK fellow Californio! With all the stupid new gun laws just taking effect in CA this new year I thought I would offer a word of caution, be careful who you show that switchblade to, they aren't exactly legal in CA no matter how old or collectible they are, if they are button/spring operated they are (very) officially frowned upon, (unless the blade is under 2 1/2" long I think). Doesn't mean no one in Cali has one, (not talking about myself of course :roll: ). Officialdom don't play that game here Homey, just be careful not to flaunt it around unsympathetic uniforms. Otherwise welcome to the forum and your new addiction, (meaning collecting knives of course).
BCCI Member #2863
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

It is actually under 2 inches in California (my home as well) to *carry* an automatic knife. However, I wouldn't count on any LEOs knowing that under 2 inches is legal. I've always been a bit fuzzy on the legality of merely owning an automatic knife in California. I *think* owning it and keeping it in your home is legal - but I could be wrong. You also have to be careful with the definition of a "gravity knife". If you have a knife with a very smooth pivot and a light detent such that a LEO could deploy it with a hard wrist flip, they might try to declare it a gravity knife, even if it does have a spideyhole or thumb studs.

I love living in California, EXCEPT for all the stupid laws!
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
1awg

Post by 1awg »

Thanks for the welcome everyone. Yes, CA is screwy with its laws but it's my home ya know? Maybe someday I'll flee with rest. First it was Oregon,..then Washington state,....Idaho,...now they're infiltrating Texas!

As I understand CA law allows me to own a switchblade but not carry so I suppose it's a prisoner to my home!

But pot's legal here now!! Sheesh!

Im in construction,...I'm not good with creative forum handles so I kept it simple!
Baykeeper

Post by Baykeeper »

TwoFlowersLuggage wrote:It is actually under 2 inches in California (my home as well) to *carry* an automatic knife. However, I wouldn't count on any LEOs knowing that under 2 inches is legal. I've always been a bit fuzzy on the legality of merely owning an automatic knife in California. I *think* owning it and keeping it in your home is legal - but I could be wrong. You also have to be careful with the definition of a "gravity knife". If you have a knife with a very smooth pivot and a light detent such that a LEO could deploy it with a hard wrist flip, they might try to declare it a gravity knife, even if it does have a spideyhole or thumb studs.

I love living in California, EXCEPT for all the stupid laws!
I love living here too, but knife laws certainly can be quite fuzzy, it even varies depending on which county and/or municipality in some cases. A small town near me has municipal codes banning the carry of ANY knife over 3" blade length, folding or not, so you could be cited for carrying a standard Trapper in your pocket. The local gun shop there has that law posted on the wall for all to read, though I don't know how often it is enforced. What's fuzzy about it is the fact that the hardware store located in that same town sells knives like Trappers & Buck #110's without local restriction. I assume it's one of those ordinances that get thrown in if they bust someone for something else and find a pocket knife on them. Kinda like a speed trap for pedestrians maybe?
BCCI Member #2863
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Baykeeper wrote:
TwoFlowersLuggage wrote:I've always been a bit fuzzy on the legality of merely owning an automatic knife in California. I *think* owning it and keeping it in your home is legal - but I could be wrong.
...knife laws certainly can be quite fuzzy, it even varies depending on which county and/or municipality in some cases.
Perfect examples of why it's important to support the work of organizations like American Knife & Tool Institute (AKTI) and KnifeRights.org. Uniform national ownership and knife carry laws and repeal of the 1958 Federal ban on switchblades are two of their primary missions.

I just renewed my membership in both organizations and I strongly encourage all knife lovers--collectors as well as anyone who believes carrying a knife should be an unrestricted personal right--to support these organizations as well.

AKTI:
https://www.akti.org/

KnifeRights.org:
https://kniferights.org/

~Q~
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~

Return to “Member Introductions”