I think I'm already in trouble...

Drop in and tell us a little about yourself.
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

I think I'm already in trouble...

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

Hi everyone!

I've carried a pocket knife on and off for over 40 years, mostly small Buck or Victorinox folders. Recently, I have started accumulating a wide sampling of low-cost knives from all different genres - Kershaw, CRKT, Rough Rider, Case, Ganzo/Firebird, Sanrenmu and no name stilleto & OTF automatics - pretty much anything that is under about $30 and NOT black tacticool. And this leads me to my first problem...

I've only been actively buying for the last 6 months, and in that time I have gone from 2 knives to over 40! I come from a family of "collectors" (well, I think a more accurate term would be "accumulators"). My parents collected MANY different things - from ceramic cottages to toy tractors and logo caps to full-size antique farm equipment. Their house looked like a cross between an annex for the Smithsonian and a Hallmark superstore! So, I definitely have the genes to be a knife nut. I have always believed one of the differences between a "collector" and an "accumulator" is the willingness to trade-up and/or sell items in order to upgrade the quality of the collection. Collectors will do this. Accumulators will not. The difference between an accumulator and a hoarder is only in the degree of the affliction - the hoarder ends-up on the nightly news after a sad ending, while the accumulator is simply a good joke to their friends & family.

So, the challenge for me is to attempt to keep the buying under some semblance of control. For example, right now I'm struggling with the decision to buy more brand new Rough Riders vs buying low-end used & abused Case knives off ebay. When I buy a Rough Rider, I get a new knife that is very cool - but it immediately makes me want to go buy the rest of the knives in the series - whether that is all patterns in a particular handle or all handles in a particular pattern - getting them ALL is the goal. Or, I can spend my time bottom-feeding on eBay for Case knives that are nothing special to real Case collectors - but to me they are still Case knives. But wait, there's also that new Ganzo in carbon fiber, or that fake Spyderco clone, or that cheap stiletto leverlock, or... ::oh_my::
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
americanedgetech

Re: I think I'm already in trouble...

Post by americanedgetech »

Welcome to the forum TwoFlower!! :D :D :D :D

Great post, and if you don't mind my saying... You are so totally baked! You're done!
::rotflol:: ::rotflol:: ::rotflol:: ::cr:: ::rotflol:: ::rotflol:: ::rotflol::

I thought I was in trouble... ::facepalm::
Ken Mc.

WTB Kershaw 2120 MACHO Lockback Parts knife
I need a pile side scale. THX!
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

TwoFlowers, welcome to AAPK. You are now home. Nearly everyone here has experienced what you are describing; i.e. besotted by knives. It does not end but it will cool down somewhat as you get more knives and eventually find a few areas of specific interest. There is an unending supply of fascinating knives both current production and vintage knives. And it is a huge body of knowledge. Even after many years of avid collecting and daily reading a person will have barely scratched the surface of what could be known about 'knives'. Hence knife collecting never gets boring.
A basic camera & tripod is part of the needed equipment so that you can post pictures for others to see & discuss with you.
Keep posting & reading here for much enjoyment & some education.
kj
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Welcome to AAPK! Most of us have been through what you're experiencing. What you're describing is a lack of focus and discipline.

Personally I started out very disciplined - I was a Case snob. If it wasn't Case, it wasn't a knife worth having. ::facepalm:: And it had to be in mint or near-mint condition. Then I got the fever to have one of everything, which led down the hole you've described as being in now yourself. I was buying knives that cost (and were worth) $40 each or less. Then I realized what you've also described - I had a bunch of inexpensive stuff that didn't satisfy me (and impressed very few). I realized I could spend $200 and buy 5 or 6 knives like that, or be more selective. Buy less frequently and have fewer knives, but really nice ones I can be proud of. And probably can get back a good portion of what I have spent should I ever want to do so.

Decide what you like. The great thing about knives is there's so many different ways you can focus your collection. What ever you choose, learn all you can about those knives so you know a good buy when you see it (you'll find a few). Then discipline yourself to stay focused. It's difficult at first but you'll get into it. JMO. ::handshake::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Welcome to AAPK! Good luck with your collecting/accumulating. You've come to the right place to feed your habit.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Welcome to AAPK, the enabling forum. You've been warned. :mrgreen:
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Reminds me of when I frequented a cigar forum.....and a newbie posted his new lover for cigars and different brand and sizes, etc.

My reply then was (and is today to you my friend)...It's a slippery slope, and we just greased it!!!! ::ds::
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

Welcome. I too am an accumulator but I don't often buy modern cheap knives or anything on EBay anymore. I find it way better to find small shops or my local knife club (actually it's about 150 miles away but that's as local as any clubs are) or antique shops and unless the knife is something pretty special, I don't often spend over $30 for it. They are out there if you know where to look. I focus on old vintage or antique knives. Good luck with your new adventure. ___Dave
ironhorse

Post by ironhorse »

I find that I am just addicted to hunt as to as I am to knife or knives. Then the back and forth trying to get the best price, or offering a trade to get a better price . Like it all and everything that goes with it.
It's not what you look at that matter's , it's what you see.
HDT
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

TwoFlowersLuggage

Welcome to AAPK. Yes, you will find that the "disease" gets progressively worse. ::paranoid::
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
rea1eye

Post by rea1eye »

Twoflowers,

I do not think you are in trouble or have a discipline to fix. You found yourself a hobby.

Welcome to AAPK. Ready to read your thoughts.

Bob
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

ironhorse, i agree, it is the hunting for knives that is 'addictive'. There is a thrill in the hunting and then an excited glow when you find what you are hunting for or something else, just as good or better. I spend more time hunting for knives than playing with the knives i have.
kj
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

Thanks everyone!

I grew-up on a farm and have always had a healthy respect for well-made tools and excellent engineering. Since my parents were into antiques and collectibles, as a kid I also spent a fair amount of time at antique stores, garage sales, auctions and flea markets. When I see a piece of "antique furniture" in a store, I still tend to run my hand over the sides and legs to see if I can feel which parts had been replaced with new, and I'll look at joints and fasteners to see whether they are old or new. Unfortunately, I'm now living in a more metro/tourist area where there is not much opportunity to find good stuff at these places - and certainly not good knives. My mother-in-law used to own one of those big antique "marts" where people could rent space and sell their stuff, and she would also do contract work to run estate sales. You would think she would have been a good source of "grandpa's knives" - but I have never gotten a single knife from her. I think the issue is that she doesn't want to pull anything good out of the sale, and what's left is just cr@p. Oh well...
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

The Pratchett Portfolio: A Compendium of Discworld Characters

The Pratchett Portfolio Illustrator(s) Paul Kidby - Publisher Victor Gollancz - Publication date September 1996

The Pratchett Portfolio is a collection of Paul Kidby's Discworld art with commentary by Terry Pratchett, which was published by Gollancz in 1996.

"Terry Pratchett lives in Wiltshire and a permanent dread that he may not be keeping up with the mail. When not answering letters, he writes books – usually about the Discworld (twenty so far). Apart from that, he keeps himself to himself and tries not to bother people."
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Jerry, I'm trying to catch up on Member Introductions and then tryin' to figure out what in the world you're babbling about. Now I see where the username comes from. ::tu::
TwoFlowersLuggage,
Now we can get on with business, here I am 6 days late welcoming you to AAPK. :oops: I suppose a late welcome is better than No welcome at all.
Hope you enjoy AAPK! ::handshake::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.

Return to “Member Introductions”