New to AAPK

Drop in and tell us a little about yourself.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: New to AAPK

Post by jerryd6818 »

I hope this answers all your questions. Things will most likely be done differently in this forum because it probably uses different software than you're accustomed to. You just have to get used to it and continue to ask questions about the things you don't understand. You should have seen the dust and feathers when AAPK switched to a newer version of the software. Whoo doggies!! What a time we had for a while. There is still the occasional conundrum. :lol:

I assume you know to click once or twice on an image to expand it to it's largest size. When you hover your cursor over the image, if the cursor does not change to a hand, the image is already at full size.
Attachments
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

zzyzzogeton wrote:Thanks for all the welcome messages.

I do have a few questions though,,,,

Whenever I read all the messages in a forum and go back up a level, the thread titles never change color/hue/etc, like they do on other forums that I have been on. I can't tell when a forum I have read has new posts.

Two things. First, the thread titles never change color in this forum. That's the way the software for the forum is written.
2.) How are you going back? If you are clicking on the back arrow of your browser, you will not see the changes that happen once you have browsed/posted in a thread. You have to come into the forum from another location to see those changes. I hope that makes sense because it's kind of difficult for me to explain.

If I hover the mouse over the little "sack" or "page" or whatever it is at the far left of a thread title, it doesn't matter if I have read all the posts in the thread or if I have never even been in the thread (which is a lot of threads here for me :mrgreen: ), a flag pops up that says "No unread posts".

I don't know the answer to that. It works just fine for me.

Also, some of the little pages shake at intervals as if they are experiencing an earthquake.

The little "page" in the circle pulses when a thread is "active" (has several new posts in it) I don't know what the threshold is for that (how many posts it takes to get it to pulse) so don't ask.

Do I have some settings set incorrectly somewhere or what??

Probably not.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

I have a bookmark in my browser that launches AAPK on the "New Posts" view. See below

search.php?search_id=newposts

Also if you find the "Quick links" link at the top left of the page just under the AAPK logo you will see links / shortcuts for:

Your Posts
Unread Posts
Unanswered Posts
etc.

If they're not self-explanatory, I would be happy to elaborate.

Another thing I did that I like is to set my view preference to show new posts in a thread first. The default is to show oldest post first.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

RalphAlsip wrote:I have a bookmark in my browser that launches AAPK on the "New Posts" view. See below

Me too only a little differently.

Another thing I did that I like is to set my view preference to show new posts in a thread first. The default is to show oldest post first.

I prefer them to show in the order they were posted, newest post last but that's just me.
"220/221 whatever it takes"
Attachments
Favorites Bar Explained.jpg
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Classic Case

Post by Classic Case »

After I read a post, then hit the back button, it doesn't change for me until I refresh the page.
Chris - I'd give my right arm to be ambidexterous.
TheMadHungarian

Post by TheMadHungarian »

Welcome Wayne, for some strange reason I have a feeling we know each other from another knife forum, is it possible? ;) :)
My Old Man told me when I was a kid, "You can spend your entire life convincing someone how smart you are but it only takes a second to prove you're an idiot."....................You can call me Ted.
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Classic Case wrote:After I read a post, then hit the back button, it doesn't change for me until I refresh the page.
Don't use the back button always click on New Posts to view read and unread posts.
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Classic Case wrote:After I read a post, then hit the back button, it doesn't change for me until I refresh the page.
Thanks Chris. Exactly what I was trying to say. Occasionally my brain goes out to lunch and leaves me here to fend for myself. ::facepalm::
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012

Return to “Member Introductions”