New to AAPK

Drop in and tell us a little about yourself.
zzyzzogeton

New to AAPK

Post by zzyzzogeton »

Just checking in as the new guy in town. :) After many years of snooping around for information here, I decided to go ahead and register.

My real name is Wayne. My login name comes from the first letter of my last name merged with zyzzogeton, the last word in the Webster's 1913 Unabridged Dictionary. I started using it after I kept getting "already in use" messages when trying to join an online group years ago. Had to come up with something no one else had.

About me
- Retired Navy/High Tech Refugee/Semi-retired
- I live in rural central Texas about 60 miles from downtown Austin on a 316 acre farm.
- I'll mainly be found in the fixed blade, military knives, Other sharp objects, Kabar and Western forums.
- Life member of the NRA and proud annual member of Knife Rights.
- Volunteer FF/EMT since 1989. Volunteer Search and Recovery Diver since 1990. Certified SCUBA instructor (retired).

My literal EDC for off the farm is -
Kabar Rigger's knife - LFP
Buck 510 or 424 or 464 or 484 - RFP
ProTech TR4 - RFP clipped
BK11 - LRP
Kabar 125x - 4 and 8 o'clock

I have a few more goodies in my BoB.

Hobbies are
- hunting,
- fishing,
- knife and tomahawk throwing (spin, no-spin, instinctive, Mountain Man)
- gardening (Master Gardener)
- fledgling knife maker

Earlier this year, I was diagnosed with a hole in my heart, apparently there since birth.

When I was diagnosed, I asked the doc if I could still do about 10 things, hoping she would say "No", like ditch digging, fence post hole digging, hay baling, etc. She kept saying yes. So finally I asked her what I couldn't do - she said "Don't take up SCUBA diving." The doc kinda looked at me funny when I asked her, "So, you mean I should not have made those 8000+ dives I made over the last 40+ years?"

About 20 years ago, my youngest niece said - "Uncle Wayne, your sense of humor is so warped, it makes a pretzel look straight." I have made it a point to live up to that statement. :mrgreen:

Got any Qs, just ask. Glad to be participating.
RalphAlsip

Re: New to AAPK

Post by RalphAlsip »

Wayne, welcome aboard to AAPK! There are a few folks from South Central TX on here. Based on the 60 miles from downtown Austin comment I'm guessing you live East or West. 60 miles North or South from downtown would barely get you out of town (lol). I'm about 60 miles Southwest near Canyon Lake.

We like to look at knife pictures so please show and tell when you get a chance.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Welcome aboard. Grab a rack, stow your gear and report for duty. You have mid-watch. Glad to have you aboard even if you are a squid.

I'm sure you already know but for those who don't and are not motivated to look it up ---> Zyzzogeton is a rare genus of leafhopper endemic to South America. It is named after a former genus Zyzza, appended with the ancient Greek geitōn. Wikipedia

Now pronounce it. :lol: :lol: (http://www.pronouncekiwi.com/Zyzzogeton)
Attachments
AAPK Welcome Sign.jpg
AAPK Welcome Sign.jpg (31.51 KiB) Viewed 3881 times
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Wayne, it's good to have you with us. I believe you're gonna fit right in! Welcome!
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

Good to meet you Wayne. I'm from the other end of Highway 61. There are a lot of nice people on the route between you and I that frequent AAPK and I'm glad you joined us. ____Dave
SteelMyHeart85420

Post by SteelMyHeart85420 »

Looking forward to future warped humor posts. Welcome
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Welcome Wayne. Pull up a chair and keep us company. We'll talk knives and such. ::handshake::
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Wayne, welcome to AAPK.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Welcome here Wayne, from north central Texas. Glad you finally jumped in and joined us. ::handshake::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Howdy, Wayne! ::welcome:: from LA (lower Alabama) also known as the Florida Panhandle. Sounds like you'll fit in right well, lots of us know how to use hole diggers and build fence! ::handshake::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

Hello Wayne. Very nice to meet you. I hope you'll stick around and chat with us, and as I was told when I first joined: "We Love Pictures"... ::nod::

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Hi, Wayne; I have eagerly attempted to absorb your info on Western States & Western Boulder. I have not been to Austin but have been many times to Gatesville, Waco, Hamilton, Stevensville, etc.. My Daddy was born in 1914 just off the Fort Hood border. My Dad and my son both held same rank and job at Fort Hood, except back in the day it was 'Camp' Hood. Anytime you want to post Western please do!
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Wayne ::welcome:: to AAPK! It's great to have you on board. I think you will like it here, lots of friendly people and some great knife talk. Don't forget we love pictures here ::tu::
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Welcome Wayne. Good to have you with us. I'll be looking forward to seeing some of your fixed blades. ::handshake::
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

Thanks for all the welcome messages.

I do have a few questions though,,,,

Whenever I read all the messages in a forum and go back up a level, the thread titles never change color/hue/etc, like they do on other forums that I have been on. I can't tell when a forum I have read has new posts.

If I hover the mouse over the little "sack" or "page" or whatever it is at the far left of a thread title, it doesn't matter if I have read all the posts in the thread or if I have never even been in the thread (which is a lot of threads here for me :mrgreen: ), a flag pops up that says "No unread posts".

Also, some of the little pages shake at intervals as if they are experiencing an earthquake.

Do I have some settings set incorrectly somewhere or what??
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I hope this answers all your questions. Things will most likely be done differently in this forum because it probably uses different software than you're accustomed to. You just have to get used to it and continue to ask questions about the things you don't understand. You should have seen the dust and feathers when AAPK switched to a newer version of the software. Whoo doggies!! What a time we had for a while. There is still the occasional conundrum. :lol:

I assume you know to click once or twice on an image to expand it to it's largest size. When you hover your cursor over the image, if the cursor does not change to a hand, the image is already at full size.
Attachments
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

zzyzzogeton wrote:Thanks for all the welcome messages.

I do have a few questions though,,,,

Whenever I read all the messages in a forum and go back up a level, the thread titles never change color/hue/etc, like they do on other forums that I have been on. I can't tell when a forum I have read has new posts.

Two things. First, the thread titles never change color in this forum. That's the way the software for the forum is written.
2.) How are you going back? If you are clicking on the back arrow of your browser, you will not see the changes that happen once you have browsed/posted in a thread. You have to come into the forum from another location to see those changes. I hope that makes sense because it's kind of difficult for me to explain.

If I hover the mouse over the little "sack" or "page" or whatever it is at the far left of a thread title, it doesn't matter if I have read all the posts in the thread or if I have never even been in the thread (which is a lot of threads here for me :mrgreen: ), a flag pops up that says "No unread posts".

I don't know the answer to that. It works just fine for me.

Also, some of the little pages shake at intervals as if they are experiencing an earthquake.

The little "page" in the circle pulses when a thread is "active" (has several new posts in it) I don't know what the threshold is for that (how many posts it takes to get it to pulse) so don't ask.

Do I have some settings set incorrectly somewhere or what??

Probably not.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

I have a bookmark in my browser that launches AAPK on the "New Posts" view. See below

search.php?search_id=newposts

Also if you find the "Quick links" link at the top left of the page just under the AAPK logo you will see links / shortcuts for:

Your Posts
Unread Posts
Unanswered Posts
etc.

If they're not self-explanatory, I would be happy to elaborate.

Another thing I did that I like is to set my view preference to show new posts in a thread first. The default is to show oldest post first.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

RalphAlsip wrote:I have a bookmark in my browser that launches AAPK on the "New Posts" view. See below

Me too only a little differently.

Another thing I did that I like is to set my view preference to show new posts in a thread first. The default is to show oldest post first.

I prefer them to show in the order they were posted, newest post last but that's just me.
"220/221 whatever it takes"
Attachments
Favorites Bar Explained.jpg
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Classic Case

Post by Classic Case »

After I read a post, then hit the back button, it doesn't change for me until I refresh the page.
Chris - I'd give my right arm to be ambidexterous.
TheMadHungarian

Post by TheMadHungarian »

Welcome Wayne, for some strange reason I have a feeling we know each other from another knife forum, is it possible? ;) :)
My Old Man told me when I was a kid, "You can spend your entire life convincing someone how smart you are but it only takes a second to prove you're an idiot."....................You can call me Ted.
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Classic Case wrote:After I read a post, then hit the back button, it doesn't change for me until I refresh the page.
Don't use the back button always click on New Posts to view read and unread posts.
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Classic Case wrote:After I read a post, then hit the back button, it doesn't change for me until I refresh the page.
Thanks Chris. Exactly what I was trying to say. Occasionally my brain goes out to lunch and leaves me here to fend for myself. ::facepalm::
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012

Return to “Member Introductions”