accidental collector

Drop in and tell us a little about yourself.
flynbulldog

accidental collector

Post by flynbulldog »

My father-in-law was a product of the 1940's, he served in WWII as a B25 pilot and later became a truck driver hauling explosives. He passed away this last year and I had the sad duty of helping to take care of his estate. Soon I started finding pocket knives; a couple shoved in the back of a drawer, some in parts of tool chests or maybe one or two in the closet - in shoe boxes, under cloths, in every nook and cranny of the house there were pocket knives. I probably found 40 knives all from earlier than the 1950's

I've always carried a knife and had an appreciation for the knives of my youth but the passion for collecting was never sparked until this treasure trove of knives fell into my lap. At first I just threw them with all of the other things that we were going to sell in an estate sale but once I saw how many there were I started to get the bug and I pulled them all aside and began thinking about building my own collection right there.

Now Bud was not a knife collector, he was an avid knife user. He did not care for these tools, he used them up but never ever threw them away. He must have considered himself a man who knew how to sharpen cutlery but believe me he was a hack! I think he needed a intervention. Most of the knives lead full lives but few are what a collector would call treasure. Most of them had blades that were broken or ground beyond recognition and severely ham-handled, and all were greasy and filthy. But a few are still in pretty good shape and one or two are even good collector pieces.

So I started learning and researching and I developed my own sense of what types of knives appealed to me and I started collecting a few on my own, some vintage and some more modern reproductions like the things built by Case, Boker and GEC. This last gun show I came home with six knives, two are really nice vintage examples from Cattaraugus and New York. And now I'm an addicted traditional pocket knife collector and I may be the one needing an intervention.

So that's my story and that's why I'm here. I look forward to learning more and hopefully contributing here as well.
Classic Case

Re: accidental collector

Post by Classic Case »

::welcome:: to the site. ::tu::
Chris - I'd give my right arm to be ambidexterous.
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Flyinbulldog welcome to AAPK. You will fit right in with this band of enablers and addicts. Welcome aboard!
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Camillus 72 1946-1950 Bone - Welcome To AAPK-crop.JPG
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Jtx
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Jtx »

Welcome! This is a great site with a wealth of information.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Enjoyed the story of how you became an addict! Sounds to me like you belonged here at AAPK all along, and just didn't know it. Welcome aboard. ::tu::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Yehuda

Post by Yehuda »

::welcome:: I'm new as well. So far I've bought treasure and junk. I'm learning and this is the place to do it!
"Wise man say, forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza."
flynbulldog

Post by flynbulldog »

thanks guys :) and yeah mumbleypeg, I think there was a knife collector inside me all along. When I was about 14 my Grandfather gave me a giant folder that looked a bit like a camp knife but about two times too big. He told me it was issued to him in the Navy. I absolutely worshiped that knife and have kept it all these years. I still have it today and it sits proudly at the head of my collection. so yeah, its always been there and I just needed something to get it jump-started.
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Hey there, flynbulldog! An interesting story ::tu:: When you can show us a picture of that giant folder, a special knife from a relative is always great to see! I'm sure you'll enjoy AAPK!
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
flynbulldog

Post by flynbulldog »

Here"s the knife that my grandad gave me when I was a kid. I dont know his personal story behind the knife but I have to wonder because I dont think he was in WWII. I was under the impression that he was out of the service before the war started. All accounts I find say this was a WWII issue. They must have given these knives out by the thousands because they seem pretty common, there's almost always one for sale on ebay. They are fetching a pretty good sum though...

But this one is special to me because it was a personal family possession handed down by someone who was very important to me. it will never be sold while I'm alive.
Attachments
DSC_3722 small.jpg
DSC_3723 small.jpg
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Amazing story! Great decision to keep the knives!!!

Welcome! ::welcome:: ::handshake::
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Welcome to the addiction! ::tu::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15