A year late and...

Drop in and tell us a little about yourself.
beresman
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

A year late and...

Post by beresman »

Well, not quite a year late. I joined last July, because I was looking for information on a knife, and discovered that there was a lot of knowledge here--and more importantly, there are a lot of good folks here. I don't get on the site as much as some, I'm sure, and I still have a lot of exploration to do, but I like most the sense of community that prevails here. And since community implies knowing and being know, I really should make a proper introduction...

I carried a knife as a kid (Boy Scouts, and my grandfather always had one--that one went to my uncle, I'm pretty sure), but kind of lost the habit as an adult. When my dad passed some years back, I found a couple of knives among his possessions, and started carrying one. It was a little yellow stockman; I have no idea who the maker was because that didn't matter to me at the time. When it was confiscated by the TSA (first time I flew since I started carrying it, and I didn't even think about it), I was, well, just a bit upset. After a bit, I decided to try to replace it. I got on Fleabay and discovered that wow! There are a lot of knives out there!

I ended up buying a Böker stockman because Dad was German, so it made sense to me. Then, being the type of person I am, I bought another, because, you know, who doesn't need a back-up. Or two. Or three...

I bought couple of other brands--a Bear, a Buck (Yeah, the Chinese one because I'm cheap--like my Dad), a BMW, and was pretty much hooked. I bought a lot of things I wouldn't buy now, but they were cool to me at the time, and I really didn't spend mega-bucks for any one piece. I like the black MOP knives, and have several Rough Riders (I know, Chinese again, but for that they're not too bad). Paid $20 (plus shipping) for a perfectly good used Case stockman (which is, coincidentally, in my pocket now). Schrade, Ranger, Kissing Crane--Hoo boy, I was on a roll.

Then I bought the kit knife. That was about a year ago. Haven't looked back. I'm still learning the rudiments of knife repair, and I have made more mistakes than I have success stories, but I'm getting better. I have eight real knives I have rescued from various problems, and twice as many sitting on the bench waiting for me to work up the courage to try not to screw up again.

I also have spent a fair amount of time looking for folding knives manufactured in different countries. So far I am up to 52 or 53 countries, depending on how you look at it, with a couple of knives that I haven't been able to identify that may or may not represent another country or two. This has been a cool pursuit, and the knives are *very* diverse in character.

Lately I've also been interested in older MOP knives (the little "gentleman's knives"). This however, seems to be an enormous venture, and I'm re-thinking how I want to approach it.

Apart from knives, I was an engineer for almost 40 years, now retired. I worked in toys, lasers and temperature sensing (three different jobs, although combining those would be interesting, if not ominous!). I have a license in massage therapy and do a little of that, and I teach music performance privately (woodwind instruments). I like to make music (both writing and performing). I like to bicycle--although I'm a bit cagey, after having two major accidents in two years--May of 2019 and May of 2020. So far I've managed to stay safe this year, but then I haven't ridden much, either. I do a little bit of gardening--flowers; the vegetables are my fiancé's bailiwick.

So that's me in a nutshell--perhaps a coconut shell; too many words for a walnut shell.
Brent
Steve Warden

Re: A year late and...

Post by Steve Warden »

And we're glad you're here! ::handshake::
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

beresman, interesting to hear about you. As a side note I worked as a massage therapist for about 9 years as my full time job. My wife is about the only one who benefits from it now. Glad your here and enjoy your knife mechanicing. ::handshake::
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

Hey thanks for sharing that! Welcome !!!
Glad your sticking around ::handshake::
JP
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

As my dear old Mum would have said " Better Late Than Never ". Seen you you around for a while, and you're one of the gang now. ::nod:: ::tu::
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Exactly mates!

Glad to have you on board beres.
::handshake::
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

Welcome to AAPK. You're gonna love it here.

You're not the only refugee from hi-tech who became a massage therapist - after leaving the computer industry following a decade+ of 80 hour weeks, I certified as a massage therapist and was an active massage therapist for over 10 years, until my back started protesting carrying that big-axx table around. Not the best paying job I ever had, but it sure was the least stressful.

Mine was a niche specialty - I specialized in home massages for folks who live on upper floors of apartment complexes. Most of the female massage therapists I knew didn't have either the desire or strength to pack a table and supplies up 2 or 3 flights of stairs. I got 90% of my clients as referrals from other massage therapists.
beresman
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by beresman »

WillyCamaro wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 3:57 am Exactly mates!

Willy, I like your avatar--but I want to know where that pedal was when I was playing guitar!
Brent
beresman
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by beresman »

zzyzzogeton wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 2:57 pm Welcome to AAPK. You're gonna love it here.

You're not the only refugee from hi-tech who became a massage therapist - after leaving the computer industry following a decade+ of 80 hour weeks, I certified as a massage therapist and was an active massage therapist for over 10 years, until my back started protesting carrying that big-axx table around. Not the best paying job I ever had, but it sure was the least stressful.

Mine was a niche specialty - I specialized in home massages for folks who live on upper floors of apartment complexes. Most of the female massage therapists I knew didn't have either the desire or strength to pack a table and supplies up 2 or 3 flights of stairs. I got 90% of my clients as referrals from other massage therapists.
I can see that's one way to get clients--which is kind of tough for male therapists otherwise. But at (almost) 64, I'm not inclined to schlepp so much stuff up and down staircases myself--or else I'd get to the top and be the one needing the massage!
Brent
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

beresman wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 5:23 pm
WillyCamaro wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 3:57 am Exactly mates!

Willy, I like your avatar--but I want to know where that pedal was when I was playing guitar!
I know mate, still searching myself... :mrgreen:

Oh, that tis cool indeed!
Still play a bit I hope?

Even just by myself at home, sure do love noodlin' around on the frets.
Much like hereabouts/cycling/mtbing, such a relaxing hobby, get myself lost in it for hours on end.
Thou I can't physically play for hours on end...
Lol!

::tu::
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
beresman
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by beresman »

WillyCamaro wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 4:45 am

Still play a bit I hope?

Much like hereabouts/cycling/mtbing, such a relaxing hobby, get myself lost in it for hours on end.
Lol!

Most of my musical efforts these days center around woodwinds--when I can find the outlet. I gave the electric guitar (a Guild S-100) to my daughter, who is using it in her band. I still have the acoustic, which I bring out every once in a while; but I have no callouses on my fingers, so I can only play for a short while. But yeah, it's just relaxing to play around at it and occasionally figure out some new (to me) chord or progression.

When you say "cycling", do you mean motorized or pedal power?
Brent
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

beresman wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 2:35 pm
WillyCamaro wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 4:45 am

Still play a bit I hope?

Lol!

Most of my musical efforts these days center around woodwinds--when I can find the outlet. I gave the electric guitar (a Guild S-100) to my daughter, who is using it in her band. I still have the acoustic, which I bring out every once in a while; but I have no callouses on my fingers, so I can only play for a short while. But yeah, it's just relaxing to play around at it and occasionally figure out some new (to me) chord or progression.

When you say "cycling", do you mean motorized or pedal power?

Pedal powered mate, mtb & gravel.

Winston Churchill

Return to “Member Introductions”