Hi from KY....new member here....

Drop in and tell us a little about yourself.
Louisville.Boy1947

Hi from KY....new member here....

Post by Louisville.Boy1947 »

I did not know about this section for introductions for new members.....I posted yesterday under the Chinese Mfgd Knife forum section. I just became a member of the forum. I live in Louisville, KY , am a retired banker, have hobbies of woodworking, collecting antique hand tools, antique telephones and coins. I enjoy trap and long range rifle shooting. My wife is the reason I became interested in slip-joint knives. She thought this would be a less expensive hobby than trap or long range rifle shooting. She is finding out that is not necessarily so. Sixty days collecting, and 30 Case Brand and 36 Rough Rider Brand knives later the cost add up. I have learned a lot just by reading "Levines Guide to Knives , Goins Encyclopedia of Cutlery Markings, and the Standard Knife Collectors Guide," and by reviewing the prior posts on Case and Chinese production knives. I do not collect with the intent that my collection will appreciate in value, I collect because I like what I buy and intend to use, much the same with my other hobbies. I will try to post below some of my handy-work building storage cases for my knife collection. Anyone else live around the Louisville, KY area ?
thumbnail_IMG_2385knives.cases.1.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_2316.knife.chest.jpg
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Re: Hi from KY....new member here....

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Hi and ::welcome:: to AAPK.
Very nice knife collection and storage cases. ::handshake::
I'm on the far right on the left coast.
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Hello again. As I said earlier, I’m due south of you down I65 on the bottom half of the state in Allen County.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Louisville.Boy1947

::handshake:: Colonel, guard the southern border to keep the Volunteers in their own state and I will do the same up north with the Hoosiers. Actually, I plan to invade Southern Indiana and go to a gun and knife show in Scottsburg tomorrow. The only prisoners I plan on taking are a few knives if I get lucky.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Be careful amongst Hoosiers! Somebody told me that they think they have a basketball team up there?! lol

I’ll try my best on the southern border. I actually married one of those Volunteers. I remind her all the time how blessed she is to be living in the promised land now.

Let us know how the Gun and knife show goes.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by royal0014 »

Welcome Aboard from central Alabama.
::handshake::

Be warned; you just stepped into a nest of enablers .....
:lol:
Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

::welcome:: to AAPK, you are certainly off and running! Great choice of reference books too, I would suggest Steve Pheiffer's Collecting Case Knives and Price & Zalesky's Official Price Guide to Collector Knives, not for the price guide but for the reference info. Your best price guide is doing an eBay search on ended listings, in my opinion.
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Welcome from NJ!

My wife and I spent our honeymoon at the Galt House back in April of 1982. Still together 37 years later!!
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
Louisville.Boy1947

Steve, like you and your wife... the Galt House is still around. It just underwent a renovation. Downtown Louisville has changed radically since you were here. Tremendously improved with all of the industrial sites replaced by a park.
My trip to a gun and knife show today was a bust ....came home empty handed. Better to be empty handed than to buy what I did not find appealing or want.
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Wouldn't mind getting back out that way.
Becky and I were stationed at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, OH, when we met. Her folks were in Evansville, IN. We passed through Louisville on our way to visit; it was about the half way between her parents and the base. We got married in Evansville and honeymooned where two little airmen could afford. It was very nice.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Welcome from Texas. And to the knife collecting "disease" - there is no cure, only periods of remission.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Louisville.Boy1947

1967redrider....
Thanks for the suggestions for my library.
zoogirl

Post by zoogirl »

Hi and welcome!
I’m up North. Way up North. Canada, actually!
I live in the Vancouver suburb of Surrey, which is actually a city in its own right. It’s also the butt of jokes from Coast to Coast and generally conceded to be the unshaven armpit of Canada. ::facepalm::
OTOH, the area has at least three knife filled swap meets every weekend on top of frequent collectables shows. It’s heaven to an accumulator like me! :mrgreen:
You sound like you’ll fit right in! Most of your interests jibe with the rest of ours.
I don’t own proper guns, but the pellet and airsofts do seem to be piling up rather quickly. I have a fair pile of coins too. Oh, and knives. Lots of shiny little knives... :wink:
I’m too young to be this old!
“Hey Ann, gotchyer knife?!”
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:44 am Welcome from Texas. And to the knife collecting "disease" - there is no cure, only periods of remission.

Ken
That is not technically correct ::dang:: there is a cure, it's called " Death ". ::doh::
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

Welcome Aboard LB1947( I'm lazy)! ::tu::

Being a retired banker with familiarity with budgets and whatnot, I'm sure your knife expenditures will stay under control. Nice start by the way and tell your bride nice try. ::tu::
steve99f
Louisville.Boy1947

My wife feeds my hobby...she picked up this Case Pearl 8233 Pen Knife this week for me....both, the wife and the knife are keepers.
Attachments
Case 8233 Pen Knife Pearl.jpg
Case 8233 Pen Knife Pearl.jpg (14.32 KiB) Viewed 3376 times
Knife Nut
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Knife Nut »

Welcome to a great site.
I was born and raised in New Albany right across the river from Louisville. Now live in Indiana further north.

Paul
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

......welcome to AAPK!!!!............. ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: .....................

Return to “Member Introductions”