Greetings

Drop in and tell us a little about yourself.
Maddogfl

Greetings

Post by Maddogfl »

Hello Folks,

Thank you for allowing me to join in.

I have been using this site for a reference for some time and thought I might like to toss in a word every now and again. I am an older fart, recently retired, from the woods of North Florida, near both Georgia and Alabama. My Father gave me my fist knife when I was in the second grade! I remember getting it and how proud I was. It was probably either an Imperial or Colonial sheath knife. Since that time I have always carried a knife. Even at school it was not unusual for the boys to carry pocket knives and was not considered a threat. If a teacher needed the use of a knife they would ask to borrow one from one of the boys... In Fact, in the 60s it was not unusual to bring a shotgun school on the bus if you were going hunting after school, they were left in the Principals office till the bell rang. How times have changed.

I collect military firearms and binoculars, but I can't call my hodgepodge of knives a collection, because they are not cataloged. I do like picking up the knives that would be commonly found in the pockets of working men from the last century, nothing fancy, just working blades. I also have some WWII era military knives and a pile of bayonets, but nothing that would draw many ohhhs or ahhhs in this crowd. Nothing pleases me more that to find an abused Imperial or Colonial pocket knife and returning it to functional condition with a nice edge.

While I am here, perhaps someone could help me with an interesting camping type knife that my brother gave me recently. It has no makers marks, in fact, the only markings are where the knife was nicely engraved with the name of the owner. (of course I hunted the man down on the internet, and he has been dead since the 1980s and I saw no sign of him recovering) The knife is good quality and quite tight, it takes a keen edge, in fact, the first time I cut myself in years with a pocket knife was when I was mishandling this one, I nicked myself with the small blade.... I was a bit embarrassed. the knife is thin for a camp type knife and much more comfortable to handle than the common four blade scout knives so popular when I was a kid.

Thanks again for letting me in.
Attachments
DSCN7376-001.JPG
DSCN7377-001.JPG
DSCN7379.JPG
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Greetings

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Welcome to AAPK from Eastern South Dakota. ::welcome:: ::welcome:: You will like it here. Hoping to see some pictures of your non-collection in the future. I collect camper/scout knives, but have not seen one like that before. Some one will be along that can tell you everything you want to know about it.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
Maddogfl

Post by Maddogfl »

OLDE CUTLER wrote:Welcome to AAPK from Eastern South Dakota. ::welcome:: ::welcome:: You will like it here. Hoping to see some pictures of your non-collection in the future. I collect camper/scout knives, but have not seen one like that before. Some one will be along that can tell you everything you want to know about it.
Thanks for the warm welcome. I do have a pic or two around somewhere on the hard drive....Here is a pic I took for insurance purposes shortly before we were smacked my Hurricane Michael last year. There is some cheap junk in that photo that I would appreciate if you kept to yourself. ;)
Attachments
DSCN6339.JPG
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Welcome to AAPK! Whether you call it a collection or an accumilation you'll enjoy it here.

As for your new knife, looks European to me. Has the same blade configuration as the German Boker camp utility knife (also the Remington R3843).

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Maddogfl wrote: has been dead since the 1980s and I saw no sign of him recovering)
Maddogfl, That quote is worthy of a Mark Twain.
Cataloged or not, you have an interesting collection. Welcome aboard! ::handshake::
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

A warm welcome from California Maddogfl ::nod::
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

From one, recently retired old fart...to another...welcome! You have more than enough sharp and pointy items pictured; that, I think you'll fit in well ::tu:: ::nod:: ::handshake::
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Maddogfl, welcome to the forum!
You might be one of my neighbors seeing how you survived Michael and are close to Georgia and Alabama. ::hmm:: Just guessing sounds like you might be in Jackson County, we're in Washington County. Retirement is a great job, you'll enjoy it!
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Welcome from South Jersey!
Glad you're here!! Great accumulation of knives ::tu::
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
Maddogfl

Post by Maddogfl »

treefarmer wrote:Maddogfl, welcome to the forum!
You might be one of my neighbors seeing how you survived Michael and are close to Georgia and Alabama. ::hmm:: Just guessing sounds like you might be in Jackson County, we're in Washington County. Retirement is a great job, you'll enjoy it!
Treefarmer
I am on the other side of the river, near the edge of the worst of the winds. You are right! I love my new un-job. I bet you are glad you weren't a tree Farmer around sneads. ;)
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

10-4 Maddogfl, the other side of the river, Gadsden County probably. It's amazing to see the different directions the downed trees are pointing as you travel on I-10, most of ours were blown over to the south.
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Welcome from Kentucky! Glad to have you around!
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Maddogfl

Post by Maddogfl »

treefarmer wrote:10-4 Maddogfl, the other side of the river, Gadsden County probably. It's amazing to see the different directions the downed trees are pointing as you travel on I-10, most of ours were blown over to the south.
Treefarmer
Yea, neighbor, I am in Gadsden, out in the sticks from the large city of Greensboro. I went to school in Altha my first four years, so I did some time on the wrong side of the Apalachicola. My trees fell predominantly to the North, I ended up with more horizontal trees than vertical. It took me a week on the chain saw to cut a path for my motor vehicles from the house to the highway. Need any firewood? ;)
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Maddogfl wrote:Hello Folks,

Thank you for allowing me to join in.

I have been using this site for a reference for some time and thought I might like to toss in a word every now and again. I am an older fart, recently retired, from the woods of North Florida, near both Georgia and Alabama. My Father gave me my fist knife when I was in the second grade! I remember getting it and how proud I was. It was probably either an Imperial or Colonial sheath knife. Since that time I have always carried a knife. Even at school it was not unusual for the boys to carry pocket knives and was not considered a threat. If a teacher needed the use of a knife they would ask to borrow one from one of the boys... In Fact, in the 60s it was not unusual to bring a shotgun school on the bus if you were going hunting after school, they were left in the Principals office till the bell rang. How times have changed.

I collect military firearms and binoculars, but I can't call my hodgepodge of knives a collection, because they are not cataloged. I do like picking up the knives that would be commonly found in the pockets of working men from the last century, nothing fancy, just working blades. I also have some WWII era military knives and a pile of bayonets, but nothing that would draw many ohhhs or ahhhs in this crowd. Nothing pleases me more that to find an abused Imperial or Colonial pocket knife and returning it to functional condition with a nice edge.

While I am here, perhaps someone could help me with an interesting camping type knife that my brother gave me recently. It has no makers marks, in fact, the only markings are where the knife was nicely engraved with the name of the owner. (of course I hunted the man down on the internet, and he has been dead since the 1980s and I saw no sign of him recovering) The knife is good quality and quite tight, it takes a keen edge, in fact, the first time I cut myself in years with a pocket knife was when I was mishandling this one, I nicked myself with the small blade.... I was a bit embarrassed. the knife is thin for a camp type knife and much more comfortable to handle than the common four blade scout knives so popular when I was a kid.

Thanks again for letting me in.
Good on you for joining, i am a recent new member myself, some very funny people with wicked sense of humor on this forum, you will fit in well. Loved your "80" quote. I sometimes feel like that, as i watch technology and the world, not passing, but speeding by. Welcome mate. :lol:
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Welcome to AAPK. Glad to have you join us. ::welcome::
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
samb1955

Post by samb1955 »

Welcome from Indiana, I think we all have some cheap junk in our collection. If it wasn't for cheap junk I wouldn't have much in my collection at all.
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

I can't help with the identification of the knife - the blades and the configuration looks very much like a camper that I carry. I could not identify it either, but they both remind me of some older German-made knives.
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Your description of yourself as an older man who got his first knife as a young boy and have always been fascinated by knives and have been looking for and picking up interesting ones ever since the first one is a description that fits many of us here, myself included. You have found a home where you will be understood because so many of us are similar.
Your knife is almost certainly German made. Handles could be horn ? or a hard plastic ? Hard to date because German manufacturers tended to make the same patterns for decades without any changes. As a guess i would say after WW II, but pre WW II is a possibility.
I hope you continue posting. Keep in mind that when you ask a question, most of us learn something in the ensuing discussion.
kj
Maddogfl

Post by Maddogfl »

You folks sure are nice to strangers. (and it will be harder to find someone stranger)

Thank you all for the warm welcomes!
Maddogfl

Post by Maddogfl »

kootenay joe wrote:Your description of yourself as an older man who got his first knife as a young boy and have always been fascinated by knives and have been looking for and picking up interesting ones ever since the first one is a description that fits many of us here, myself included. You have found a home where you will be understood because so many of us are similar.
Your knife is almost certainly German made. Handles could be horn ? or a hard plastic ? Hard to date because German manufacturers tended to make the same patterns for decades without any changes. As a guess i would say after WW II, but pre WW II is a possibility.
I hope you continue posting. Keep in mind that when you ask a question, most of us learn something in the ensuing discussion.
kj
I thought the knife was European. The engraved name is German (Hanimann), but I think I found him and his Father, both Americans. The owner, if I have indeed identified him, would have been middle aged in the 1940s, so the timeline works. With the engraving and the leather case, I am betting it was a gift from a family member or close friend. I believe the handles are either plastic or bakelite.

How unusual is it for a European knife to have no maker's markings?

I hope you will forgive such basic questions but I admittedly know nothing about knives or knife collecting.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

"I hope you will forgive such basic questions"
No need to apologize. Asking questions is what this forum is about. Everyone learns when questions are asked.
No markings on German made knives is not uncommon. Some are marked with "Germany" but no trade name. Besides having over 100 small knife manufacturing companies (about 100 years ago, fewer now), Solingen also had manufacturers of knife parts including blades. Many knife 'manufacturers' bought these parts and assembled them into knives. This was likely less expensive than knives made with blades made in their own factory.
Hence if a knife company got an order for say 500 or 1,000 knives, they could fill the order at a lower price by using unmarked blades purchased from the parts manufacturer.
kj
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

::welcome:: to AAPK! ::groove::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Welcome to AAPK. Glad to have you aboard. You don't have to have a boat load of knives to shoot the breeze. There's plenty of that goes on around here. :lol:
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Maddogfl

Post by Maddogfl »

jerryd6818 wrote:Welcome to AAPK. Glad to have you aboard. You don't have to have a boat load of knives to shoot the breeze. There's plenty of that goes on around here. :lol:
Well thanks, I am a breeze shooter. ;)
Knife Nut
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Knife Nut »

::welcome::
Your wit and humor will fit in just fine here. ::tu::

Paul

Return to “Member Introductions”