Canal Street Cutlery ---DISAPOINTMENT

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
soulmanticore

Canal Street Cutlery ---DISAPOINTMENT

Post by soulmanticore »

Well here it is. Instead of spending my money tored another Cripple Creek knife i decided to buy a Canal Street C. which i have been checking out the last couple of months and found a knife i liked on E-bay. So i put my 60 dollar bid in and won. I didn't get any great deal on the knife but I was happy. Got the knife in the mail a couple of days ago. A dark Amber stag bone trapper. number 275. When First opened it i was in love the knife looks great. BUT upon closer inspection. The blade and the springs don't line up. Now i'm not a picky person by nature but this is just bad for a company who is advertising. " nine master cutlers who provide the finest U.S. manufactured products available today." here is a pic. What do you all think? Did i just luck out a get one bad apple? Or should i try again?
Attachments
DSC01690.JPG
DSC01690.JPG (50.95 KiB) Viewed 3716 times
soulmanticore

Post by soulmanticore »

Wow Sorry about that picure fellas. I got a long way to go with taking pics for a living. huh :lol: This is why Bryan has the button that says preveiw. Any way hope you have high speed.
Shane.
longbeachbum

Post by longbeachbum »

I guess we all have our pet peeves and that particular fault is not one that is super high on my list, as long as the action is firm and the blades seat well and solidly in the open position. Nothing bugs me more than wimpy action in a slipjoint. I do agree that with the prices they are asking and all the hype they are putting out about being hand made by master cutlers, etc., it better be a first rate slippie, so I would say you have just cause for dissappointment.

I've avoided buying one up to now due to some vague reservations, and your post definitely reinforces that instinct. Thanks for the info.

Jim

P.S. I don't know how to post pics on this forum without them coming out as big as a bedsheet either.
smiling-knife

photos

Post by smiling-knife »

Two suggestions re the photos. If your digital camera has different size settings... mine has 5 to chose from.... select a smaller size before taking the photo. For posting photos mine is set on the smallest. The other option is to size them once in the computer with some basic photo editing software which tends to come with recent Windows operating systems. Mine are about 4 X 5.5 inches. See the photos under Two Jacks listing for egs. . I hope this helps. :) s-k

p.s. I have microsoft photo editor. Not a computer guy so don't know if it came with Windows or the office software package.
El Lobo
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by El Lobo »

Here is some good freeware.....

http://www.snapfiles.com/Freeware/gmm/f ... cedit.html

The PHOTOFILTRE (must be from the UK :mrgreen: ) is a good program.
I learned by copying to my desktop, (so if I screwed up, I'd still have a copy right there :oops: ), then dropping a copy into my shortcut/icon, and practicing. Not perfect but OK for a poor knife guy.

Bill

EDITED:

Sorry to be off topic kinda...but it seemed like a good idea at the time.
smiling-knife

Resized

Post by smiling-knife »

Sorry to get off the real topic. :) s-k
Attachments
dsc01690_107.jpg
dsc01690_107.jpg (34.67 KiB) Viewed 3658 times
Mossdancer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

line up of springs

Post by Mossdancer »

Hello All;
If I havent said it before variety is what makes life interesting.

The following knives are from the right a NIB CASE Bonestag Trapper.
Next is a NIB SCHRADE TRAPPER several years old.
Next is A NIB Case Bluebone Trapper.
The next is a NIB box Trapper.
Last Is a NIB United Whittler from Japan.
On top is a Canal Street folding guard Hunter also NIB.

I wanted to give you a few examples of springs. There is no way to show the springs on the folding guard very well. You will have to take my word
that it and the United are the best fit of the bunch with the SCHRADE being right there also.

Keep in mind that the knife in the original post has been enlarged several hundred percent.

If you will resize your photos to 640 pixels wide and let the height auto adjust you will be a lot happier.
Attachments
fit 003.jpg
fit 003.jpg (119.38 KiB) Viewed 3636 times
fit 002.jpg
fit 002.jpg (127.38 KiB) Viewed 3636 times
fit 001.jpg
fit 001.jpg (137.07 KiB) Viewed 3636 times
soulmanticore

Post by soulmanticore »

Hey guys, Thanks for the picture suggestions and the Resize SMILINKNIFE. LONGBEACHBUM not tring to sway you one way or another. but everything else on the knife is very solid. The Case bonestag with the scrollwork in MOSSDANCER pics is how they are suppose to go together. and except for the japan knife and the one blade on the case blue bone , the rest of them pass. Even the canal street. I don't think i'm ready to give up on em just yet. There is a oxblood set out there thats pretty catching. but you can bet im getting some closer pics of the knives before i spend the 200 some odd dollars.

Until Next time, Shane
Mossdancer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

misfit

Post by Mossdancer »

Hey;
I think I agree with you, However if you dont mind would you review the pics keeping in mind that the knife with scroll is on the left and is a United Whittler. Thanks.
W.B.
soulmanticore

Post by soulmanticore »

:oops: :lol: Open mouth and insert foot. If i would read a little bit i might have caught that. I'll still stick with my guns. I'll probably get murdered for saying it but Maybe i should start buy oversees products. :lol: awww probably not.

Thank Shane

Return to “General Knife Discussion”