Pics and intro

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
SwedgeHead
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Pics and intro

Post by SwedgeHead »

Hey all, lurker turned new member here, hope to soon see a supporting member banner flying next to my (cool) new name and to pay back for all the info and interest you have all provided. I am a lifetime collector of many things, with pocket knives being a fond past time.
I look forward to learning and sharing and enjoying the hobby or lifetime obsession with you all.
NOW some PICS.

You'll see a few of my sub-collections in here and I'll share those over time too, official BSA's, fun campers, Hammer Brands, and a whole collection of Swiss army and early soldiers not shown. oh and 20 or so handpicked rough riders of course...

But lets get rolling with some vintagy Valley Forges shall we.

Of the 2-bladers, two of them are what I beleive are pre-boker (the jigged handle and smaller barlow knife) with the other 2 having the circled VF tang stamp. Its interesting that in this set, EVERY blade and tool has a working half-stop, I thought that cool. (also notice one is an easy open knife).

The scout knife however is the one I long searched for to go with the beer can (yep, that's how my mind works!) and I just recently picked that one up.
It's a neat piece in that its a Valley Forge Boy Scout model , that it has the can opener-screwdriver-gas light key combo tool, AND that it has a pre-boker "Patented April 25th 1911" tang stamp along with 3 Valley Forge Newark stamps on the other implements (all pretty clear although the pics may suffer). This is the 1st I have seen of a Valley Forge with this patent and was happy to bring it into the collection. (curious on the originality of the boy scout emblem...looking into that ).

So the star of this show is the Boy Scout (and the beer can).

Enjoy !
Swedge
Attachments
vfset1.JPG
vfset2.JPG
Vftangs.JPG
Moreandmore.JPG
OfficialBSAs.JPG
SomeCampers.JPG
VFscoutback1.JPG
VFscoutback2.JPG
VFscoutfront1.JPG
VFscoutfront2.JPG
SwedgeHead
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Re: Pics and intro

Post by SwedgeHead »

All that and I mention the easy opener but it didn't make the photoshoot, lol.
Attachments
EZopen.JPG
313 Mike

Post by 313 Mike »

Welcome, really cool collection! Your displays look great, love the way you have it all displayed.
Mike

There are those who are...and those who wish they were. He himself decides.
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Yes Welcome ::handshake:: and some beautiful knives and outdoor gear you have. Keep posting. ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

Welcome & ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ::handshake::
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Welcome to AAPK. Lifelong Scouter here myself so I like your interesting collecting focus!

I doubt the knife pre-dates Boker’s involvement with Valley Forge though. Some history research: Boker USA owned a controlling interest in Valley Forge by 1902, according to Goins’ Encyclopedia. The knife has a Prest-o-Light wrench. Prest-o-Light acetylene lights were invented in ~1904. Goins’ says the straight line Valley Forge stamp was used 1916-1950 (long after Boker ownership began). Prest-o-Light lights on cars and motorcycles were replaced by electric lights by early 1920s, so using the process of deductive elimination I’d guess your knife dates around 1916 to early 1920s.

There are some Böker experts that are members here, and also some scout knife experts - they will have more info and may correct my reasoning! :lol:

Thanks for showing your knives.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Oledadsknives

Post by Oledadsknives »

Nice collection and Pics Swedge! Welcome to AAPK! Great bunch of folks here and loaded with info as you already know.

Jimbo
You can lead a person to wisdom, but you can’t make them think ::nod::
Where I am is where I’ll be!!
Jimbo
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Welcome to AAPK. ::handshake::
Great group of old, real pocketknives, not a Zombie killer in the bunch! ::tu::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
ScoutKnives

Post by ScoutKnives »

Welcome . Great displays.
The Valley Forge is definitely an early one , mid teens .
I have the same knife but mine has the Boker stamp .

Mike
Always looking for Mint pre war scout knives
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Awesome collection of Valley Forge folders and Scouts, ::welcome:: to AAPK. ::handshake:: What is that big display knife? I'd love to see some pictures of it in particular. 😎👍

John
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Glad to have you here. Thanks for all the great pics!
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

::welcome:: Keep the posts coming.
Roger
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

::welcome:: to AAPK! Very nice collection and display (I wish I had a good way to display my knives).
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Welcome to AAPK. ::welcome::
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
SwedgeHead
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by SwedgeHead »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:32 am Welcome to AAPK. Lifelong Scouter here myself so I like your interesting collecting focus!

I doubt the knife pre-dates Boker’s involvement with Valley Forge though. Some history research: Boker USA owned a controlling interest in Valley Forge by 1902, according to Goins’ Encyclopedia. The knife has a Prest-o-Light wrench. Prest-o-Light acetylene lights were invented in ~1904. Goins’ says the straight line Valley Forge stamp was used 1916-1950 (long after Boker ownership began). Prest-o-Light lights on cars and motorcycles were replaced by electric lights by early 1920s, so using the process of deductive elimination I’d guess your knife dates around 1916 to early 1920s.

There are some Böker experts that are members here, and also some scout knife experts - they will have more info and may correct my reasoning! :lol:

Thanks for showing your knives.

Ken
Thanks Ken and all, I guess that got the ball rolling for me.
I admit the straight line stamp has thrown me and I am curious if there are pre-1916 examples of that.
And yes you got me on the boker early involvement, although that seems speculative still - i was more referring to the Boker USA transition in 1916 (or 21 depending on your school). And by that time I beleive they would have used the circled VF stamp as well, which 3 of these knifes don't have (maybe thats not a hard fast rule?) The early 1911 patent I haven't seen yet on other examples. Coming from vintage pocket WATCHES, I know though that there are always oddballs and transitional period items, so i'm open minded and looking forward to and appreciate all the sticky details and knowledge, thats half the fun.
SwedgeHead
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by SwedgeHead »

1967redrider wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:38 pm Awesome collection of Valley Forge folders and Scouts, ::welcome:: to AAPK. ::handshake:: What is that big display knife? I'd love to see some pictures of it in particular. 😎👍

John
The little Trapper, I was wondering if someone would call that one out. It was a gift from a friend on a camping trip long ago, it must weigh 5 lbs and gets so many laughs.
Here ya go.
Attachments
BigBoy.JPG
BigBoy2.JPG
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

Good looking stuff, we like pics!!!

Welcome aboard!
stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by stockman »

S.H. Welcome, enjoyed the pictures.

Harold
TPK

Post by TPK »

Hello & Welcome to the AAPK! ::handshake:: ::super_happy::
I'd say that Trapper is a keeper! Sure is big enough. ::nod:: :mrgreen:
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
Bryan
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Bryan »

Interesting how you can already tell ya like a fella just by viewing a few pictures of his stuff! :lol: Welcome to AAPK :D
Bryan
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Welcome aboard. ::handshake::
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Welcome! You have some very nice knives and your displays are top notch.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
wlf

Post by wlf »

Welcome , it's amazing how long we lurk before stepping forward.
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

SwedgeHead wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:16 pm
1967redrider wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:38 pm Awesome collection of Valley Forge folders and Scouts, ::welcome:: to AAPK. ::handshake:: What is that big display knife? I'd love to see some pictures of it in particular. 😎👍

John
The little Trapper, I was wondering if someone would call that one out. It was a gift from a friend on a camping trip long ago, it must weigh 5 lbs and gets so many laughs.
Here ya go.

Very cool, thanks for the post and pictures. 😎👍 Definitely a conversation piece.
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

SwedgeHead wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:06 pm

Thanks Ken and all, I guess that got the ball rolling for me.
I admit the straight line stamp has thrown me and I am curious if there are pre-1916 examples of that.
And yes you got me on the boker early involvement, although that seems speculative still - i was more referring to the Boker USA transition in 1916 (or 21 depending on your school). And by that time I beleive they would have used the circled VF stamp as well, which 3 of these knifes don't have (maybe thats not a hard fast rule?) The early 1911 patent I haven't seen yet on other examples. Coming from vintage pocket WATCHES, I know though that there are always oddballs and transitional period items, so i'm open minded and looking forward to and appreciate all the sticky details and knowledge, thats half the fun.
I agree the “sticky details and knowledge” is half the fun - at least! That and “the hunt” is why old knives are so interesting. Nothing wrong with newer knives but they don’t have the “mystery”.

Your question about the missing VF stamp is a good one. As I interpret Goins’ they all should have it. His book is by no means all inclusive - there are many stamps in existence that he doesn’t list so it’s possible there are other versions. Here’s what he says.

Ken
7305F5A1-37AD-44C5-8202-6CEC9414B080.jpeg
Attachments
F3F01E5A-9282-43EA-97EB-298D2C1B6E88.jpeg
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/

Return to “General Knife Discussion”