Colt Coal Miner folding hunter

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
Eelephant

Colt Coal Miner folding hunter

Post by Eelephant »

Ok, just scored this nice looking Colt Coal Miner folding hunter. Paid about $6 for it. Don’t know much about Colt, tho. It feels pretty solid, great walk and talk. It’s missing that weird little coal mining helmet shield, tho. Would love to make it whole again. Any idea how to score a shield?
Attachments
52BE3888-7426-4CBA-B5EC-BCD080F535C8.jpeg
1538348F-046A-4EF4-956F-11CF6A78CAC5.jpeg
eveled

Re: Colt Coal Miner folding hunter

Post by eveled »

Cool shield I’ve never seen one before. A replacement is going to be a tough find.

Does the knife say were it was made? I’m thinking it was made by someone for Colt. Those serated pulls look like the ones Rough Rider uses.
Eelephant

Post by Eelephant »

eveled wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 1:21 pm Cool shield I’ve never seen one before. A replacement is going to be a tough find.

Does the knife say were it was made? I’m thinking it was made by someone for Colt. Those serated pulls look like the ones Rough Rider uses.
Could very well be the case. If you start googling stuff about Colt, oftentimes there will be some rough rider results mixed in, so there is prolly some connection there maybe? One of the blades says China.
catspa

Post by catspa »

I agree with Ed, that shield was probably made in a Chinese factory that made them for 2weeks, then switched to a run of 70,000 electric toasters. Good luck.

If that were mine and I wanted to keep the same scales, I’d put a coin with my birth year where the shield was. Just an idea.

Parker
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

That one was made in China. SMKW had all the Colts made for Colt. Colt filed for bankruptcy in 2015 and they no longer produce any knives. Colt knives are becoming more collectible all the time. They are a better quality of knife than the RR knives from the same period. Prices keep going up on the Colt knives since they aren’t produced any more. Probably some of the most overlooked knives out there.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
TPK

Post by TPK »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:37 pm That one was made in China. SMKW had all the Colts made for Colt. Colt filed for bankruptcy in 2015 and they no longer produce any knives. Colt knives are becoming more collectible all the time. They are a better quality of knife than the RR knives from the same period. Prices keep going up on the Colt knives since they aren’t produced any more. Probably some of the most overlooked knives out there.
Go to know. ::tu:: ::handshake::
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
ken98k
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by ken98k »

As SharpShiney said, Those Colt knives were made in China for SMKW, and when Colt firearms went bankrupt they switched to Rough Rider, which became Rough Ryder. The only difference between RR and Colt knives is the name.
I am the NRA.
Let's go Brandon!
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

I'm wondering if these morphed into the Rough Ryder Coal Miner series?
eveled

Post by eveled »

Too bad they didn’t use that shield on the Rough Rider Coal Miner knives.
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

eveled wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 7:29 pm Too bad they didn’t use that shield on the Rough Rider Coal Miner knives.
That was my thought as well. All they got was the etch; as opposed to a coal mining-related shield.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

eveled wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 1:21 pm Cool shield I’ve never seen one before. A replacement is going to be a tough find.

Eveled! I just wanted to pass on some info to you, to the best of my knowledge, what you called a "serrated" pull is commonly referred to as "coining". If I'm wrong would someone please correct me! Thx! 8)
8)
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

I’ve always called those match strike pulls.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
krjeight

Post by krjeight »

Rough Ryder calls them match strike pulls, although not sure you can still buy strike anywhere matches anymore.
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Madmarco wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:58 am

Eveled! I just wanted to pass on some info to you, to the best of my knowledge, what you called a "serrated" pull is commonly referred to as "coining". If I'm wrong would someone please correct me! Thx! 8)
It is called match strike pull.
"Coining" is the lines cut into the liners.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
eveled

Post by eveled »

In my mind they are sunburst pulls. 🌞

They always reminded me of sunshine. Like when you were little and you drew a partial circle in the corner of the page then drew lines eminating from it.

Coining looks like the edge of a dime.

I knew if I said match strike people would comment they weren’t for striking matches.

Serrated got my point across.

For the record I dislike them, no matter what they are called. Lol.

This is commonly called a clapboard sunburst
80A47F66-AD91-45E7-B29E-AB25948E5928.jpeg
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Thank you for the correction and future knowledge David, and my apologies to Eveled for the wrong info! ::facepalm:: ::handshake:: That's the last limb I'm going out on! ::huff:: 8)
8)
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Madmarco wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:50 pm Thank you for the correction and future knowledge David, and my apologies to Eveled for the wrong info! ::facepalm:: ::handshake:: That's the last limb I'm going out on! ::huff:: 8)
::handshake::
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

20221127_181432.jpg
Attachments
20221127_181555.jpg
Steamboat Willie
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Steamboat Willie »

Completely switching gears here, but does anybody know just how many companies put out that folding hunter pattern? Before I started paying attention I thought that was a Case thing. Then when I took up knives as a hobby I noticed that exact handle shape and blade combination coming out of the woodwork from all of the usual suspects.
catspa

Post by catspa »

eveled wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:36 am This is commonly called a clapboard sunburst
Those are time-consuming and a little tricky to build. Not only to get the layout right, but every end has to be cut at a different angle. Some guys run the ends up behind the trim, which leaves insect gaps and looks less sanitary than cutting them all to fit flush.

Some years ago, I spent 2 days building one in cedar on the gable of a custom home about 40 miles away. I didn’t have a camera at the time, but I did carve my initials about 1/4” tall into the final lap.

The old boy gave me a 50 dollar tip for doing work I was that proud of, and giving him a story to tell.

Parker
eveled

Post by eveled »

Madmarco wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:50 pm Thank you for the correction and future knowledge David, and my apologies to Eveled for the wrong info! ::facepalm:: ::handshake:: That's the last limb I'm going out on! ::huff:: 8)
Don’t be silly. No apology was necessary.
eveled

Post by eveled »

Steamboat Willie wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:42 pm Completely switching gears here, but does anybody know just how many companies put out that folding hunter pattern? Before I started paying attention I thought that was a Case thing. Then when I took up knives as a hobby I noticed that exact handle shape and blade combination coming out of the woodwork from all of the usual suspects.
I started collecting them. I’ll tally them and get a picture, but definitely not a Case only deal. Everyone was making them. The Buck 110 changed the game and the two blade hunter fell out of favor.
eveled

Post by eveled »

14608947-7839-4B9D-8567-F1A4E19F8CF7.jpeg
Top to bottom
My fathers’s Western
My Grandfather’s Frontier (Schrade/Imperial)
KA-BAR
Queen
Camillus
Schrade Old Timer
Chicago Cutlery
Case

Buck had one too, but they always sell way too high for me to buy. Pretty sure its just a Camillus anyway.

Boker is another I don’t have.

I was buying them to try to figure out if they were all the same or different. They are definitely different.

The Western is my favorite it is petite (svelte may be a better word) compared to the others The KA-BAR is the most robust.

The Chicago Cutlery one is kind of interesting because they are a kitchen knife company.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

eveled wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:42 pm
Don’t be silly. No apology was necessary.
Thanks for your understanding bud, ::handshake:: and that's a beautiful group of 8 you posted above! 8)
8)
Steamboat Willie
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Steamboat Willie »

Top to bottom
My fathers’s Western
My Grandfather’s Frontier (Schrade/Imperial)
KA-BAR
Queen
Camillus
Schrade Old Timer
Chicago Cutlery
Case
[/quote]

:shock:
WOW! I’ve had Case and Ka-bar, and seen several of the others, but never all lined up like that. Very interesting group! Thank you for sharing ::tu::

Return to “General Knife Discussion”