What's the cheapest/foolproof way to re-profile my blade?

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
luzdibbert

What's the cheapest/foolproof way to re-profile my blade?

Post by luzdibbert »

I have an older benchmade 556 (drop point mini griptillian) in 154CM. I love everything about the knife except how no matter how much I sharpen it, the 20° grind never cuts as well as my cheaper aus-8, 420HC and other knives that have a 15-17° grind. I'm 'ok' at sharpening, but even when it was new, cheaper buck knives or ka-bar doziers would out-slice it. I just want it to be that good.
Any recommendations on what to do with it? Thanks.
cudgee

Re: What's the cheapest/foolproof way to re-profile my blade?

Post by cudgee »

luzdibbert wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 3:49 am I have an older benchmade 556 (drop point mini griptillian) in 154CM. I love everything about the knife except how no matter how much I sharpen it, the 20° grind never cuts as well as my cheaper aus-8, 420HC and other knives that have a 15-17° grind. I'm 'ok' at sharpening, but even when it was new, cheaper buck knives or ka-bar doziers would out-slice it. I just want it to be that good.
Any recommendations on what to do with it? Thanks.
One thing i would not be doing is doing a big jump in angles. If it was me going from 20deg to 15deg, i would go 20-18-16 then 15deg. But take your time and keep inspecting your work/progress, i cannot emphasise that enough.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

I think my Lansky let's me go one setting below 20° for kitchen knives or something like that. Just a thought. 😉
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

I have a 556 also and I can't help wondering if the grind is the reason that those other knives are better slicers. The grind on the 556 tapers sharply upwards from the edge. In other words, the blade gets fatter from the edge up. More so than a common full flat grind which usually makes for a good slicer. This might be why the 556 is not the greatest slicer.

Re-profiling the edge will help but the nature of the grind might still be a hinderance.
Attachments
IMG_5465.JPG
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
CluelessNick
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by CluelessNick »

Using a Lansky sharpening system with the diamond stone kit you can remove a lot of metal from a blade fairly quick. It goes down to a 17 degree angle. I've had good luck with it on several knives but am far from an expert on sharpening.
Jody744
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Jody744 »

Send it back to benchmade they will resharpen for the cost of shipping. Send it to a pro sharpener if you want to reprofile the angle
"I like Case, Queen, S & M, Fightn' Rooster and many more."
(quote stolen from one of Jody Brown's posts)
C-WADE7
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by C-WADE7 »

Railsplitter wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:25 pm I have a 556 also and I can't help wondering …. Re-profiling the edge will help but the nature of the grind might still be a hinderance.
I don’t have this particular knife but of all the ones I have I agree that the grind is most likely the issue. My Gerber is thick behind the edge and it cuts but it’s not a good slicer at all. Hollow grind and scandi really slice well.
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Railsplitter wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:25 pm I have a 556 also and I can't help wondering if the grind is the reason that those other knives are better slicers. The grind on the 556 tapers sharply upwards from the edge. In other words, the blade gets fatter from the edge up. More so than a common full flat grind which usually makes for a good slicer. This might be why the 556 is not the greatest slicer.

Re-profiling the edge will help but the nature of the grind might still be a hinderance.
All great points, not all knives are created equal. They are tools, and there are different tools for different jobs, a bush craft knife won't be able to fillet fish nor a fillet knife cut fire kindling. A 20 degree bevel reprofiled to 15 degrees though will become a better slicer just because the angle is not as obtuse. Hope you are well my friend. ::tu::
catspa

Post by catspa »

I’m with Jody, find a local pro and have him/her shave 3 degrees off it. Try it for awhile, send it back for another 2-3 if it needs. Don’t guess at the final angle without knowing if the steel will support it.

Just FYI, depending on how you clamp up, your Lansky angles may not be exactly accurate down the entire length of the blade.

Parker
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

Tom Krein does excellent regrinds on blades. From what I have heard, his work is well worth the price. He has a website Kreinknives.net

Return to “General Knife Discussion”