Slant Bolster Kutmaster Stockman

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
Clark23

Slant Bolster Kutmaster Stockman

Post by Clark23 »

Hi there, does anyone know about year made and which the model is on this Kutmaster Stockman. Only picture I have for now, the Spey blade tang has a letter V and the Sheepfoot blade tang has a letter T. Anyone that can help know the meaning of letters and overall knife? TIA ::handshake::
Attachments
2C34A20C-BA1D-4988-BF8D-12D61E31BB0C.png
FRJ

Re: Slant Bolster Kutmaster Stockman

Post by FRJ »

Sorry I can't be of any help and you have a nice knife there.
Also, that is one of the cleanest Kutmasters I have ever seen.
Joe
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Nice knife.I saw that one or one like it sell on a Facebook auction last night.
Roger
Clark23

Post by Clark23 »

FRJ wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:25 pm Sorry I can't be of any help and you have a nice knife there.
Also, that is one of the cleanest Kutmasters I have ever seen.
No problem and thank you Joe me too ::handshake::
Clark23

Post by Clark23 »

peanut740 wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:13 pm Nice knife.I saw that one or one like it sell on a Facebook auction last night.
Hey Roger yes this is the one, I am trying to get more information and thank you ::handshake::
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

The Kutmaster tang mark started in the late 30's and continues to this day by Utica Cutlery.

That one looks to be older, most likely 1930's to 50's. I base that mostly on the slanted bolsters and the style of the clip blade.

The letters "V" and "T" were used by Utica to designate the steel type. T stood for "Tungsten Stainless", which was their stainless steel formulation.

V stood for "Vanadium", their carbon steel (chrome vanadium).

Odd to see different letters on the blade of one knife; could be a factory error assuming that a blade has not been replaced post-factory.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
Clark23

Post by Clark23 »

knifeaholic wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 4:16 pm The Kutmaster tang mark started in the late 30's and continues to this day by Utica Cutlery.

That one looks to be older, most likely 1930's to 50's. I base that mostly on the slanted bolsters and the style of the clip blade.

The letters "V" and "T" were used by Utica to designate the steel type. T stood for "Tungsten Stainless", which was their stainless steel formulation.

V stood for "Vanadium", their carbon steel (chrome vanadium).

Odd to see different letters on the blade of one knife; could be a factory error assuming that a blade has not been replaced post-factory.
Wow thank you very much for the info, I surely do appreciate very much. Very unique about the letters. Once in hand I’m gonna see if it looks any different if I can tell by that. The only thing I did know before was that the stamp started in the 30’s just wasn’t sure of the particular date range and that helps a lot thank you again! :D ::handshake::

Return to “General Knife Discussion”