Findings From Recent Rummagings

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Findings From Recent Rummagings

Post by orvet »

Here are some interesting knives I found this month rummaging around flea markets, pawnshops & antique malls.

This first one is Case fixed blade. The chrome plating appears to have been worn off most of blade and it has worn some around the tang stamp which makes it difficult to get a clear picture but the stamp says clearly CASE and the letters are with serif.

Obviously, it has a stacked leather ring handle with a missing pommel. I suspect that it had a birds head pommel at one time and the pommel was removed for some reason. It appears the tang itself may have been broken and someone drilled through the tang and put a pin in it to hold the stacked leather handle together.
If someone knows how this was supposed to look and can describe it to me or better yet post a picture, I would be very appreciative.

Also, I was not able to locate the tang stamp, CASE with serif on either the list of tang stamps in the Research Section here on AAPK or in Steve Pfeiffer’s book. If anyone has an idea as to the age of this knife, please let me know, as I am at a loss on this one.

It’s a nice little knife, has a lot of life left in it and would make a very nice user knife. I’m not sure if it has significant collector value in the current condition, but it would be nice to know if its more valuable to someone unrestored that it is restored. I think this older carbon steel is considerably better than the newer carbon steel and I like to restore them as users. Most of you know I’m not a Case guy but I do find the old ones make great tools and I have several old Case knives that are in my rotation for EDC.
Overall Length about 7-1/2"
Overall Length about 7-1/2"
CASE Project b.jpg
CASE Project c.jpg
CASE Project d.jpg
The second knife I found has me puzzled, I have been unable to discern any stamping on the blade, all traces seem to have vanished long ago. The vendor at the flea market said it was a fish knife which certainly appears to be from the scaler teeth on the spine. I am not sure the purpose of the little finger at the tip and the edge above it. It has been sharpened but is not what I would consider sharp now, though it could be brought back to a good edge in the end of the knife could be used very well for a push cut.
It has beautiful bone handles, and I can’t help but think at one time this was a quality knife.
I can’t think of anything I’ve seen from Marbles or Remington that is close to this, though like Case, Marbles and Remington are not normally brands that I collect. But the free bone on this old knife spoke to me and said, “Buy me!” - I’m sure you all understand what I mean.
Overall length almost 8-1/2"
Overall length almost 8-1/2"
Fisf Knife B.jpg
Fisf Knife C.jpg
Fisf Knife D.jpg

Any help anyone can give me on the identity, age, value, etc. of these knives would be appreciated!
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
cudgee

Re: Findings From Recent Rummagings

Post by cudgee »

Can't help you with any details about them, but a couple of great pick-ups. ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: Love that old bone. :)
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

cudgee wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:43 pm Can't help you with any details about them, but a couple of great pick-ups. ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: Love that old bone. :)
I agree! That bone would look really nice another knife. ::nod::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
Gone2Three
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Gone2Three »

orvet wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:47 pm Here are some interesting knives I found this month rummaging around flea markets, pawnshops & antique malls.

This first one is Case fixed blade. The chrome plating appears to have been worn off most of blade and it has worn some around the tang stamp which makes it difficult to get a clear picture but the stamp says clearly CASE and the letters are with serif.

Obviously, it has a stacked leather ring handle with a missing pommel. I suspect that it had a birds head pommel at one time and the pommel was removed for some reason. It appears the tang itself may have been broken and someone drilled through the tang and put a pin in it to hold the stacked leather handle together.
If someone knows how this was supposed to look and can describe it to me or better yet post a picture, I would be very appreciative.

Also, I was not able to locate the tang stamp, CASE with serif on either the list of tang stamps in the Research Section here on AAPK or in Steve Pfeiffer’s book. If anyone has an idea as to the age of this knife, please let me know, as I am at a loss on this one.

It’s a nice little knife, has a lot of life left in it and would make a very nice user knife. I’m not sure if it has significant collector value in the current condition, but it would be nice to know if its more valuable to someone unrestored that it is restored. I think this older carbon steel is considerably better than the newer carbon steel and I like to restore them as users. Most of you know I’m not a Case guy but I do find the old ones make great tools and I have several old Case knives that are in my rotation for EDC.

CASE Project a.jpg
CASE Project b.jpg
CASE Project c.jpg
CASE Project d.jpg

The second knife I found has me puzzled, I have been unable to discern any stamping on the blade, all traces seem to have vanished long ago. The vendor at the flea market said it was a fish knife which certainly appears to be from the scaler teeth on the spine. I am not sure the purpose of the little finger at the tip and the edge above it. It has been sharpened but is not what I would consider sharp now, though it could be brought back to a good edge in the end of the knife could be used very well for a push cut.
It has beautiful bone handles, and I can’t help but think at one time this was a quality knife.
I can’t think of anything I’ve seen from Marbles or Remington that is close to this, though like Case, Marbles and Remington are not normally brands that I collect. But the free bone on this old knife spoke to me and said, “Buy me!” - I’m sure you all understand what I mean.

Fisf Knife A.jpg
Fisf Knife B.jpg
Fisf Knife C.jpg
Fisf Knife D.jpg

Any help anyone can give me on the identity, age, value, etc. of these knives would be appreciated!
Dale I'd remembered seeing a picture of a similar knife during one of my searches ::hmm:: I'm no expert by any means...but it looks very close to an old Case sawback pictured here in the middle.
The tip on yours may have been altered...but very close match

Nice pick ups! ::tu::

Randy
Attachments
20210925_212406.jpg
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Dale, the "serifs" Case hunting knife mark began circa 1933 right after Case stopped having their fixed blade knives made by Kinfolks. The mark ran through WW2 but not long after, exact date unknown. It could have had a mushroom pommel which was more prevalent before the war. The blade profille has been modified so it is hard to tell what model it began life as. Gone 2 three has the fish knife correct, yours once had a tip like in the pictures he provided. The fish knife is not a Remington, Case, KA-BAR, or Marbles, i do not recognize the jigging pattern. The tang has been broken off the Case where the original pommel was as I am sure you understand.
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

The bone jigging and color reminds me of some of the early Robeson although I don't recall ever seeing a Robeson fish knife of this style.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr

Return to “General Knife Discussion”