Forced Patina With MUSTARD...or maybe even Hot sauce...

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Forced Patina With MUSTARD...or maybe even Hot sauce...

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

Has anyone tried to force a patina with mustard (or your choice of condiment)? I tired it on a high carbon fixed blade I EDC to try and give it a "hamon" look. I used a weaker hot sauce (with no vinegar mixed) to cover the edge and then applied a stronger Ketchup with vinegar mixed where I wanted a darker patina. I had tried it once before but did not like the results and cleaned up the blade to try again. The results are below.

If anyone has a better way to do this please let me know or share any tips you might have. Thanks!
Attachments
DSCF7162.JPG
DSCF7163.JPG
DSCF7164.JPG
DSCF7165.JPG
DSCF7167.JPG
DSCF7343.JPG
DSCF7344.JPG
DSCF7338.JPG
Please visit my AAPK store: https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... er_id=2383

They say, “Hard work never hurt anyone”, but I'm still not willing to risk it.
Ivoryman

Re: Forced Patina With MUSTARD...or maybe even Hot sauce...

Post by Ivoryman »

Yup. The Ebony Wharn on the left is a Tidioute 2013 #72 LB that I did up with Mustard. Was looking for that black powder coat look to compliment the Ebony wood. Well it worked pretty good, did the trick covered all the steel and protected it. I use it now and then to refresh the patina coat.
Attachments
WP_20170325_022.jpg
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

I soak a piece of cloth in white vinegar and wrap it around the blade. Check it every 10-15 minutes or so until you get the desired color. I once fell asleep and didn't get the rag off until the next morning. The blade was pitch black. Fortunately, rubbing the blade with 0000 steel wool and WD-40 got it back to the color I wanted. :D
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
rea1eye

Post by rea1eye »

Using standard French's Mustard has always worked for me. I like
that I can control exactly where and how much chemical change I
want the blades to have. I have used apples and vinegar previously but mustard
has worked the best.

Bob
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

herbva wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:02 pm I soak a piece of cloth in white vinegar and wrap it around the blade. Check it every 10-15 minutes or so until you get the desired color. I once fell asleep and didn't get the rag off until the next morning. The blade was pitch black. Fortunately, rubbing the blade with 0000 steel wool and WD-40 got it back to the color I wanted. :D
Herb. Had a good chuckle over the falling asleep part, that’s something that would happen here as well. Glad it rubbed out with steel wool . Also like to use WD40 when sanding or using steel wool on metal . Will try the White Vinegar thing ,thanks . ::tu::
Not sure can wrap my head around putting condiments on steel , does seem to do the trick though .
JP
BFORSE

Post by BFORSE »

herbva wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:02 pm I soak a piece of cloth in white vinegar and wrap it around the blade. Check it every 10-15 minutes or so until you get the desired color. I once fell asleep and didn't get the rag off until the next morning. The blade was pitch black. Fortunately, rubbing the blade with 0000 steel wool and WD-40 got it back to the color I wanted. :D
Same here, I’ve always used white vinegar. Clean-up is a snap.
St. John Chapter 1
...12 But as many as received him (Jesus), to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:
13 Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God...
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

I’ve used vinegar and also mustard before. Both worked well. But so does peeling and slicing “maters” or as I found out a while back cutting up a grilled pork chop!
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
eveled

Post by eveled »

DE7D8096-26E3-4576-AFE3-8B3EEB1B725E.jpeg
I like the way onions produce a Damascus illusion. Maybe try a long onion string on the blade to produce a faux hamon line?
GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

Ripster wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:45 pm
Herb. Had a good chuckle over the falling asleep part, that’s something that would happen here as well. Glad it rubbed out with steel wool . Also like to use WD40 when sanding or using steel wool on metal . Will try the White Vinegar thing ,thanks . ::tu::
Not sure can wrap my head around putting condiments on steel , does seem to do the trick though .
J.P., I use the mustard, ketchup, etc. to control the contour of the lines when I want to give the appearance of a hamon. It gives a contrast in color with different strengths of vinegar added to the mix.
Please visit my AAPK store: https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... er_id=2383

GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

eveled wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:26 pm DE7D8096-26E3-4576-AFE3-8B3EEB1B725E.jpeg
I like the way onions produce a Damascus illusion. Maybe try a long onion string on the blade to produce a hamon line?
Wow I like that!!! ::nod:: ::paranoid:: I have also heard of a potato patina by sticking a knife blade in a potato.

eveled

Post by eveled »

Yep my Greatgrandmother did the potato trick to her kitchen knives. 100 years ago. Pretty standard practice back then I believe.
GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

eveled wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:01 am Yep my Greatgrandmother did the potato trick to her kitchen knives. 100 years ago. Pretty standard practice back then I believe.
I have an old black smiting book that talks about using a potato or a squash to quench a hot piece of metal or knife blade... ::paranoid:: ::paranoid:: maybe they knew or two back in them there olden days... ::hmm::

Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

The old men around here used to stick their CASE pocket knives in a taster to get that old blue looking patina.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
eveled

Post by eveled »

I really really enjoy a good New England boiled dinner. I start looking forward to it around the end of January. It helps me mentally get through the winter.

I take St Patrick’s day off and cook outside because my wife hates the smell of cooking cabbage. If I have to cook outside I might as well go big. 2 or 3 corned beef a pork shoulder all the veggies. A 15 gallon stainless pot, a propane burner. Everyone one I know knows to come over for some if they want to.

Some times it’s feels like spring sometimes it’s still winter. No matter it is the first day of spring to me.

I pick a special knife and use it to eat my dinner for a week or so. Meat and veggie juices vinegar different mustards various hot sauces horseradish sauce. Smear it with the juices let it sit over night wash it and oil it repeat. Makes a wonderful patina.
A7EBE954-4A40-45F0-9843-4B77D60EA4F0.jpeg
00437701-FB36-4839-B08E-7D305BBEA46A.jpeg
GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

eveled wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:17 pm
I pick a special knife and use it to eat my dinner for a week or so. Meat and veggie juices vinegar different mustards various hot sauces horseradish sauce. Smear it with the juices let it sit over night wash it and oil it repeat. Makes a wonderful patina.

A7EBE954-4A40-45F0-9843-4B77D60EA4F0.jpeg00437701-FB36-4839-B08E-7D305BBEA46A.jpeg
Now I am hungry!!! ::nod::

GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

This patina happened by accident, I was soaking the knife in "Evapo-Rust" to clear up some small but deep rust spots and I left it in the liquid too long. ::paranoid:: The entire knife went from hi-polish mirror like finish to almost a gun-blue patina. ::dang:: I like the patina... but I ruined that nice bright finish... ::shrug:: oh well
Attachments
DSCF4575.JPG

cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Stick blade into a tomato, leave 10 minutes, remove, wipe dry, can be repeated. But don't leave any longer than 10 minutes, trust me i know. ::facepalm::

This was this mornings breakfast, bananas and strawberries, works every time. ::tu::
IMAG0637.jpg
GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

cudgee wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:29 am Stick blade into a tomato, leave 10 minutes, remove, wipe dry, can be repeated. But don't leave any longer than 10 minutes, trust me i know. ::facepalm::

This was this mornings breakfast, bananas and strawberries, works every time. ::tu::

IMAG0637.jpg
I am headed to the kitchen right now with a couple of folders that need a little "aging" ::nod::

bluecow

Post by bluecow »

The best way to put patina on a knife is just use it. everything else is just faking it :wink:
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

Interesting read fellers. When I was a youngin' here in the south, I know a lot of older men, that when they got a new skinning knife, would jab it into the ground for a day or so, then after removing it from the ground, would heat it up, then rub it down with some oiled burlap, or the rough side of leather dipped in oil. It would not only put kind of a patina on it, they claimed it helped keep the blade from rusting in the leather sheath. Old Wives tale, or handed down tradition?? ::shrug:: Regardless of what we think, sounds similar to why a blueing was put on rifles. Plus, that old onion and tater peeler that Grandma always liked to use was pretty blued from use. ::tu::
Sometimes I Sit and Think ::hmm:: .... Other times I just Sit
I May Grow Older, But I refuse to Grow Up!!
I'll sharpen it for you, but I don't give out band-aids!!

Smitty
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

bluecow wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:54 pm The best way to put patina on a knife is just use it. everything else is just faking it :wink:
It's not faking, it's real, and a deliberate helpful process of preservation to treat it with substances that will deter rust all over the entire blade, not just where what you cut happens to touch the blade. If you live in a wet/damp environment or rainforest like some of us, then it's a necessity to preserve what you have when you start carrying a knife rather than incidental use that may or may not completely coat the whole blade and leaves open the possibility or probability that areas without patina will develop pits, permanent corrosion, or worse, some rust. I've tried both ways and where I live I have found that it preserves the blade much better if I apply full patina all over the blade in the beginning rather than let it develop slowly over time because slowly over time never covers the whole blade from the get go before you get some small pitting in the bare areas. Your results may vary. :wink:
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

I tried the potato trick yesterday... it worked ::groove:: ::nod::
Attachments
DSCF7589.JPG
DSCF7590.JPG
DSCF7598.JPG
DSCF7599.JPG

GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

Forced Patina With MUSTARD...or maybe even Hot sauce... ::paranoid:: Or maybe ketchup and then a lemon ::oh_my::
Attachments
DSCF7619.JPG
DSCF7620.JPG
DSCF7621.JPG
DSCF7624.JPG
DSCF7628.JPG

eveled

Post by eveled »

I prefer something in between natural and forced.

It’s simple anything you cut that is juicy. Coat the whole blade then let it sit for a while or even over night before you clean it off. My Dad was a chef he did this with his knives and cutting board.
Rotten

Post by Rotten »

My LT Wright GNS in O1 steel that I used mustard and lemon juice on to force a patina. It took three separate applications to get this coverage. This is as much for protection as it is appearance. I've done several different forced patinas with fruits, vegetables, vinegar, or mustard. With use the forced patina fades into a more 'natural' patina. My GNS has not seen a lot of use to date but when the forced patina fades I won't be disappointed.
20210428_132803_2 (2).jpg
Trace

Return to “General Knife Discussion”