found a few Randalls

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
Gunsil

Re: found a few Randalls

Post by Gunsil »

steve99f wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:33 pm Very nice Gene! Congratulations. ::tu::
Thanks Steve! I plan to bring them to the Dec, Allentown meet to get the opinions of some of the experts there, hope to see you there. I'd like to see what Larry Thomas and Bill Hope have to say, and a couple others who handle a lot of the earlier ones.
eveled

Post by eveled »

edge213 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:43 pm I've never owned a Randall, but I suspect the older one were meant to be used and were used.
They are all meant to be used. I use mine. People do as they see fit with theirs.
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Ed, I somehow don't think the big "Smithsonian Bowies" are really meant to be used but all the hunting knives and fighting knives sure are. Glad to hear you actually use yours, they used to be great working knives, not sure if the quality is the same as it used to be. I know a couple Randall collectors who have sent a couple back to Randall in the last five years complaining the fit and finish were not up to par. Were I a younger fellow I might look for more, but right now I have enough (lol). I also hear there are a bunch of fakes on the bay these days, I'd hate to get burned on something I am not totally familiar with. I might not have jumped right into the auction if the knives looked a lot newer, but I did know the rough back sheaths indicated earlier knives.
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Gene, if you could share the name of the previous owner, I will run it through the Special Operations Community to see if anyone knows him.

A Vietnam era Randall with provenance and in-country service can bring a lot of money.

I’m in contact with about six thousand such individuals of all ages and it’s possible he might be known to some of them.
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
ken98k
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by ken98k »

eveled wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:48 pm
edge213 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:43 pm I've never owned a Randall, but I suspect the older one were meant to be used and were used.
They are all meant to be used. I use mine. People do as they see fit with theirs.
It's kind of a shame that these knives have become collectors items and and most will never be used for anything.
I am the NRA.
Let's go Brandon!
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

RobesonsRme.com wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:38 pm Gene, if you could share the name of the previous owner, I will run it through the Special Operations Community to see if anyone knows him.

A Vietnam era Randall with provenance and in-country service can bring a lot of money.

I’m in contact with about six thousand such individuals of all ages and it’s possible he might be known to some of them.
Why thank you so very much!! The name on the blades is H H Edelman. Sorry for the delay, I'm on vacation fishing my tail off.
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

I hot zeto positive response when I ran that name through a couple of Special Forces internet groups.

That does not mean none of the knives were carried in Vitamin, it just means that no one I know knew Mr Edelman. He might very well have served in RVN in a no Spec-Ops unit.
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter

Return to “General Knife Discussion”