knife id please

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
gordonjohn

knife id please

Post by gordonjohn »

I picked up this knife at a rummage sale for 2 bucks ,but all the digging I have done still I cannot find any info about this knife .Main blade tang stamp reads jackknife shop Chicago , the smaller blade reads union stock yard. I am sure that you fellows can help me out
_DSC0060.JPG
_DSC0061.JPG
_DSC0063.JPG
_DSC0066.JPG
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: knife id please

Post by 1967redrider »

Man, you done good! Others will be along to buy this from you if you're selling and it's legit. ::tu::

John
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
ea42

Post by ea42 »

That knife was made by Schrade Cut Co or possibly later after they changed to Schrade Walden, likely somewhere between 1920 and 1950ish. If someone knows when those tang stamps were in use you could probably nail it down even closer.

Eric
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

I believe Eric pretty much nailed it.
Roger
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

Wow - that is a rare and desirable brand, the knife was made on contract (as others have said) by Schrade Cutlery circa 1940's to 50's.

Search on these forums for "Jack Knife Ben" and "Jack Knife Shop" and you will find a lot of history.

These were brand names, along with Union Stock Yards Chicago, that were used by immigrant Ben Schon when he established a business selling pocket knives to the farmers and ranchers that came from all over the Midwest to bring their cattle to market at the Chicago stock yards.

Pocket knives with these tang stamps are very desirable to collectors.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Quote: "I picked up this knife at a rummage sale for 2 bucks".
Pretty well everyone here is now insanely jealous.
If you are more familiar with cars than knives, then your purchase is like finding a lightly used 1955 Ford Thunderbird for $250.
kj
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

gordonjohn wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:23 pm I picked up this knife at a rummage sale for 2 bucks ,but all the digging I have done still I cannot find any info about this knife .Main blade tang stamp reads jackknife shop Chicago , the smaller blade reads union stock yard. I am sure that you fellows can help me out_DSC0060.JPG_DSC0061.JPG_DSC0063.JPG_DSC0066.JPG
Others have given you accurate information about your knife G.J., something I couldn't have done, but, ::welcome:: to AAPK! ::handshake:: 8)
8)
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Welcome here, gordonjohn. Good things happen to good people!

You've got a keeper. ::tu:: ::nod::
Joe
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

kootenay joe wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:13 am Pretty well everyone here is now insanely jealous.
I'm pretty dang close...and maybe just a little more optimistic for my future flea market hunts. Congratulations on a superb knfe, and welcome to AAPK!
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
gordonjohn

Post by gordonjohn »

Hi I want to thank everybody for all the great info. I knew that I could count on you guys to help me, I enjoy this web site a lot and hope to post more pics. gordonjohn thanks again

Return to “General Knife Discussion”