Muskrat Man Conversions

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Muskrat Man Conversions

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Got back these two GEC knives I sent to Kaleb back about 4 months ago. The TC Barlow was a Glitter Gold Acrylic and I had him replace it with Amboyna wooden handles. This has such a great warm and smooth feel to the handles and it looks fantastic.
The second one is a GEC 35 Beer and Sausage knife. I had him take off the comb and the fork and convert it to a single blade. I missed out on all the 35 Northwoods so I figured this was a less expensive way to buy a 35 with one blade. The Micarta handles were replaced with burl maple. I thought the colors would pop more than they do. The slabs had more of a green tint that was quite distinct from the brown, but this came out kind of muted, I still like it.
The others are project knives from years past. The top knife is a Paragon fixed blade that I bought as just a blade with unfinished handles. The Boker lockback has the same Amboyna wood that was used on the TC Barlow. The bottom knife is an old Keen Kutter Coffin Jack that was in a Keen Kutter Collection I bought 3 years ago. The main blade was broken and the pen blade had a big nick out of the blade and part of the top of the nail nick was missing. I hunted for parts knives for months to find blades that would work. I just thought this old beauty needed a second chance and MM gave it that.
Attachments
FDB5BA9C-60EF-4226-9045-B8081C255385.jpeg
991F8957-1E41-4FBD-B914-FA4243B4C85D.jpeg
5F631E05-7224-4D12-9DB3-C2F47945A190.jpeg
82664324-CA3E-4B5C-91A6-6C04694136E9.jpeg
6A0E634E-96DE-4DE7-B9C8-FAFB1D3B08C1.jpeg
5FD90E86-53F6-4D5B-8488-B4AFB31000B5.jpeg
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Muskrat Man Conversions

Post by Railsplitter »

Good looking knives, Mark. That was a great idea with the B&S #35. That’s one heck of a knife without that comb and with those new covers.
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Thanks Rick. I might be in a camp by myself but I really think the comb and fork were a bad idea. The glitter acrylic looked pretty ugly to me, to be honest. I had no qualms about replacing that.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

Awesome, gorgeous, group of knives there Mark. That Amboyna wood really pops! I may have to find some of that. I have never been a fan of acrylic sparkle, in particular (and I hope I don't offend anyone) that "Gold Stone" that was once so popular. ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Absolutely gorgeous knives Mark. Although, as we discussed they are not my style, there's no denying their beauty, and MM did a 1st.-Rate job of restoring them. Can hardly wait to see the 2 he has for me soon! 8)
8)
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Congrats SSK. Happy for you. Muskrat Man is an artist. ::nod:: ::nod::
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Excellent repair work and amazing character in those scales. Sweet looking Keen Kutter too, they all turned out perfectly in my opinion. ::tu:: ::tu::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

A very good looking group of knives. ::tu::
Joe
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Thank you guys. I guess it’s pretty apparent that I’m partial to wooden handles. There is just something warm about holding a knife with a wooden handle. The Keen Kutter is some really old tight grain ebony, it was in remarkably great condition especially when you consider how bad the blades were, didn’t require a thing to be done to them. The master blade is short of what it should be, but try to find another one of these old KK coffin jacks to use for parts, haven’t seen one come up yet for sale.
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

Excellent work by MM. The beer and sausage knife and the Keen Kutter are real srandouts!
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
DM11
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by DM11 »

Excellent ::tu::
David
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

Kaleb does great work, nice stuff!
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Muskrat Man does superb work...no doubt about it. Some real fine beauties you got there, mark. Congrats. ::tu::
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:57 pm Got back these two GEC knives I sent to Kaleb back about 4 months ago.
The second one is a GEC 35 Beer and Sausage knife. I had him take off the comb and the fork and convert it to a single blade. I missed out on all the 35 Northwoods so I figured this was a less expensive way to buy a 35 with one blade. The Micarta handles were replaced with burl maple. I thought the colors would pop more than they do. The slabs had more of a green tint that was quite distinct from the brown, but this came out kind of muted, I still like it.

Congrats and kudos for designing that one. Never would have thought of ditching 2 blades and getting a Northwoods. Pretty much so. Good on you and beautiful woods. MuskratMan, kudos on the great work. Really a killer one of a kind now. wow. Love that two toned maple burl. And the Amboyna wood is fabulous too. Gorgeous knives.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Thanks Dan, David, Glenn, Q and Ivoryman. I’m pretty proud of these.
TPK

Post by TPK »

:shock: Wow! That TC Barlow steals the show for sure! ::nod:: Awesome! :shock:
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

Mark...I can only echo what everyone else has stated. Marvelous rework on those knives, and I give a big Bravo Zulu to MM for awesome work. ::tu:: I really like the looks of the Barlow. That wood is very attractive.
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."

Return to “General Knife Discussion”