NEW KNIFE FIND

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
drjayb

NEW KNIFE FIND

Post by drjayb »

4E33CE66-419B-43EA-93F7-18C30314083A.jpeg
Can anyone in the knife community tell me who might have made this fine knife
Knife is 5 inches closed with beautiful black Buffalo horn flat handles and flat bolsters.
Blade is carbon steel and3/16 thick.
I would appreciate any help as to who made this knife.
I believe it is called a large fish knife.
Thank you
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: NEW KNIFE FIND

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Sorry I can’t help you with maker ID. Unusual to see a blade like that in that frame. Most of that pattern I’ve seen have a long slim clip blade. Perhaps someone replaced the original with that blade (the pivot pin looks suspicious to me). Can you provide a picture with the blade closed lying on its side, and one looking down into the blade well (also with blade closed)? That won’t identify the maker but could help determine whether it’s the original blade.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
tnorton

Post by tnorton »

I can't help on ID either - It looks like a cross between a folding hunter and a fish knife - ::shrug::
ea42

Post by ea42 »

I think that would be an Ulster but I'm not positive on that. I've seen a very early Ulster with that very same handle but the blade had a long pull and a slightly narrower shape. Is that blade pin steel? If so as Ken mentioned the blade may have been replaced.

Eric

PS- OK, found another pic I had with a crescent nick in that frame. They must have done both pulls at different times. The long pull was on an older Ulster-Ellenville stamped knife. Here's a shot of the crescent pull version:
Ulster Toothpick.jpg
Still questioning the blade in your knife though as it appears to be saber ground, which was a blade more frequently found in the old cokebottle knives.

Return to “General Knife Discussion”