3 blade whittlers are addictive... Change my mind..

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: 3 blade whittlers are addictive... Change my mind..

Post by Mumbleypeg »

::stir:: FWIW I don’t believe the term “half whittler” originated from Case. I believe as with many other pattern names (“whittler” included), it originated with collectors. What is called half whittler today was called a “pen” knife in Case catalogs up until a few years ago. But I recall hearing the term “half whittler” at shows in the 1970s. Contrary to popular opinion I don’t think Case marketing can be credited (or blamed) for the name.

Yes I know BRL said it originated from Case Marketing, but if so why did Case catalogs continue to call it a pen long after he said that? And why didn’t they copyright it as they have done with many other patterns? Instead Case finally gave in and began using it in catalogs years after it became a commonplace description for the pattern. Show me evidence of Case using the term “half whittler” anywhere prior to a few years ago. ::shrug::

BTW, isn’t “three blade whittler” redundant? I didn’t know there was any other kind. ::poke::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
toomanyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by toomanyknives »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:22 pm ::stir:: FWIW I don’t believe the term “half whittler” originated from Case. I believe as with many other pattern names (“whittler” included), it originated with collectors. What is called half whittler today was called a “pen” knife in Case catalogs up until a few years ago. But I recall hearing the term “half whittler” at shows in the 1970s. Contrary to popular opinion I don’t think Case marketing can be credited (or blamed) for the name.

Yes I know BRL said it originated from Case Marketing, but if so why did Case catalogs continue to call it a pen long after he said that? And why didn’t they copyright it as they have done with many other patterns? Instead Case finally gave in and began using it in catalogs years after it became a commonplace description for the pattern. Show me evidence of Case using the term “half whittler” anywhere prior to a few years ago. ::shrug::

BTW, isn’t “three blade whittler” redundant? I didn’t know there was any other kind. ::poke::

Ken
You got me there, Ken!
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:22 pm

Ken
Without starting an,"excrement downpour" I believe there has always been some discussion(mostly among purists)as to what actually constitutes a ,"true whittler".Aside from whether the master blade is a Wharncliffe or spear or clip pattern,supposedly a true whittler will contain a coping and pen blade as secondaries.If one contains a manicure/file blade it is not considered a "true" whittler.
The"congress" thing is a whole other bunch of worms trying to get out of the can. ::dang::
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:22 pm ::stir:: FWIW I don’t believe the term “half whittler” originated from Case. I believe as with many other pattern names (“whittler” included), it originated with collectors. What is called half whittler today was called a “pen” knife in Case catalogs up until a few years ago. But I recall hearing the term “half whittler” at shows in the 1970s. Contrary to popular opinion I don’t think Case marketing can be credited (or blamed) for the name.

Ken
Very interesting. Murky waters, as usual. Nice to hear from someone who has been in the hobby long enough to shed some light on the subject. Thank you, Sir!
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Here is a buncha whittlers from my accumulation. Some may have a broken blade or two(are those 2/3rds whittlers?)but I still like them.
#1 A.Field & Sons Progress with a manicure secondary blade.
#2 Capital Cutlery Germany with sterling silver handles.
#3 Harrison Bros. & Howson.
#4 Humason & Beckley with sterling silver handles.
#5 Geo. Wostenholm Celebrated Cutlery with well sharpened blades,ivory handles and a shield dated 1870.The small blade I believe is used to trim cigars and is full size.
#6 Master blade stamped J.A.Henckels and the two secondaries I*XL with one stamped,"C.Langbein NY"on the pile side.Langbein was a knife repairman as well as a distributor so this was likely one of his jobs.
#7 Another I*XL with a manicure secondary blade.
#8 An I*XL with popcorn stag handles.
#9 New York Knife Co. with ivory handles.
#10 Peters Bros with two broken blades(a 1/3rd whittler maybe?)and an eagle motif on the handles. The other side is a field of stars.Likely made right after WWI.
Attachments
A.FieldProgressMarkSide.JPG
Capital1.JPG
HarrisonBros.&Howson3BladeMarkSide.JPG
Humason&Beckley1.JPG
IXL-12.JPG
IXL-17.JPG
IXL-18.JPG
IXLStagMarkSide.JPG
NYKCWhittler1.JPG
PetersBros.WhittlerMarkSide2019.JPG
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

A few more........
#1 Remington with a tipped manicure blade.
#2 Robeson frame with I*XL blades.I transposed them because the Robeson blades were all broken and the I*XL handles were junk.
#3 Schrade-Walden with purse in like new condition.
#4 Simmonds Hardware with ivory handles.
#5 Ulster with ivory handles and purse.
#6 Ulster with pearl handles.
#7 Ulster with pearl handles and tip bolsters.
#8 Union Cutlery Tidioute PA
#9 Unmarked whittler with gold covers on bolsters;engraving washed in gold and screws for blade pivots.
#10 Utica whittler with bail.
Attachments
Remington2MarkSide.JPG
RobesonIXL1.jpg
SchradeCut.Co.WaldenNYWhittlerPurse 001.jpg
SimmondsHardwareTuxedoWhittler1.JPG
Ulster2A.jpg
Ulster#1MarkSide.JPG
Ulster#2MarkSide.JPG
UnionCutleryTidiouteMarkSide.JPG
UnmarkedMetalHandledWhittler1.JPG
UticaWhittler with Bail 001.jpg
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Here are a few of my favorite 3 blade whittler.
Attachments
F702D8B5-AD22-4AAB-BB5D-1E4D4DA535A7.jpeg
83AAC5F8-DE10-46AD-A07B-C4C598FE5D34.jpeg
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Last few:
#1 Vom Cleff with stag handles and broken blade.
#2 Wahkonsa Cutlery.
#3 Wilson Bros. Sheffield
Attachments
VomCleffMarkSide.JPG
WahkonsaMarkSide.JPG
WilsonBros.Sheffield1.JPG
toomanyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by toomanyknives »

knife7knut wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:49 am A few more........
#1 Remington with a tipped manicure blade.
#2 Robeson frame with I*XL blades.I transposed them because the Robeson blades were all broken and the I*XL handles were junk.
#3 Schrade-Walden with purse in like new condition.
#4 Simmonds Hardware with ivory handles.
#5 Ulster with ivory handles and purse.
#6 Ulster with pearl handles.
#7 Ulster with pearl handles and tip bolsters.
#8 Union Cutlery Tidioute PA
#9 Unmarked whittler with gold covers on bolsters;engraving washed in gold and screws for blade pivots.
#10 Utica whittler with bail.
Awesome as usual, K7K!! ::tu::
toomanyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by toomanyknives »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:53 am Here are a few of my favorite 3 blade whittler.
Some real beauties there, Mark! ::tu::
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Here is a 3 1/2" Henckels made whittler with saber ground master blade.
kj
Attachments
IMGP1489.JPG
IMGP1490.JPG
IMGP1491.JPG
stagman
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by stagman »

5355-front.jpg
Only one I ever had, but I put it to good use every now and then,
stays in my travel bag with a few others...

Stag
eveled

Post by eveled »

I grew up with a 3 blade whittler in my pocket, but for actual whittling once I tried a Loom Fixer I never looked back. You asked us to “change your mind”.

The LM has fewer hot spots, the wider handle doesn’t want to roll over in your hand while cutting like the slender whittler pattern. So you don’t have to grip as hard causing less fatigue. The large sheepsfoot master great for big cuts to remove material fast, and the tip is great for making stop and back cuts if you are outlining letters on a sign or just carving your initials.

The secondary pen blade is actually a pretty substantial blade in its own right is great for detail work.
6894A462-12ED-4398-A502-A3C4D93C489D.jpeg
14C2F277-F750-4BB8-B32C-98EBA8DCC390.jpeg
toomanyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by toomanyknives »

kootenay joe wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:59 am Here is a 3 1/2" Henckels made whittler with saber ground master blade.
kj
Boy kj, there's a whittler to be proud of! That's fantastic! ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
toomanyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by toomanyknives »

stagman wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:26 am 5355-front.jpgOnly one I ever had, but I put it to good use every now and then,
stays in my travel bag with a few others...

Stag
If you're only gonna' have one Stagman, that one is the way to go! ::tu::
toomanyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by toomanyknives »

eveled wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:36 am I grew up with a 3 blade whittler in my pocket, but for actual whittling once I tried a Loom Fixer I never looked back. You asked us to “change your mind”.

The LM has fewer hot spots, the wider handle doesn’t want to roll over in your hand while cutting like the slender whittler pattern. So you don’t have to grip as hard causing less fatigue. The large sheepsfoot master great for big cuts to remove material fast, and the tip is great for making stop and back cuts if you are outlining letters on a sign or just carving your initials.

The secondary pen blade is actually a pretty substantial blade in its own right is great for detail work.
6894A462-12ED-4398-A502-A3C4D93C489D.jpeg14C2F277-F750-4BB8-B32C-98EBA8DCC390.jpeg
Those are beauties, eveled! You make good points. I can see how they could have me starting another pattern to collect!
eveled

Post by eveled »

Thanks. Try one you’ll never look back. Lol.

Colonel26 led me down the primrose path to LoomFixer addiction. This is an interesting thread with a lot of great pictures.

https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kn ... =LoomFixer
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

toomanyknives wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:53 pm
kootenay joe wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:59 am Here is a 3 1/2" Henckels made whittler with saber ground master blade.
kj
Boy kj, there's a whittler to be proud of! That's fantastic! ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Totally Agree.

Return to “General Knife Discussion”