First Class postage going up and slower delivery, really

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

First Class postage going up and slower delivery, really

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

We were notified that First Class postage is going up and they are not going to be delivering FC as fast as before. Whereas were are seeing deliveries in 2 to 3 days now, it will take 2 to 5 days going forward. The further the address is from us the slower the delivery. The map shows that everything west of Texas is now 4 days with the coastal states taking 5 days. The northeast and southeast will also take 4 to 5 days.
It’s still cheaper than alternatives but you would think that with the growth of online retail that they would be trying to make it more efficient, it sure seems that the Post Office is going in the opposite direction.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: First Class postage going up and slower delivery, really

Post by philco »

Do you know if Priority Mail rates are also scheduled to increase ?

If not, the gap between first class and Priority may be about to shrink. ::uc::
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:20 pm We were notified that First Class postage is going up and they are not going to be delivering FC as fast as before. Whereas were are seeing deliveries in 2 to 3 days now, it will take 2 to 5 days going forward. The further the address is from us the slower the delivery. The map shows that everything west of Texas is now 4 days with the coastal states taking 5 days. The northeast and southeast will also take 4 to 5 days.
It’s still cheaper than alternatives but you would think that with the growth of online retail that they would be trying to make it more efficient, it sure seems that the Post Office is going in the opposite direction.
Is the slower shipping for First Class supposed to go into effect at the same time as the price increase? Just wondering what to expect and when.
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

Well, don't look to Fedex to provide better service - my company just kicked Fedex out as our preferred shipper because their service has become absolutely horrible. Our products require a signature when delivered, and we had a bunch of customers saying the driver never showed-up, or left the package without getting a signature, etc. We even had a driver who threw it on the porch damaging the box and product. I don't know what the heck happened to Fedex, but they seem to have completely lost their way.
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

philco wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:29 pm Do you know if Priority Mail rates are also scheduled to increase ?

If not, the gap between first class and Priority may be about to shrink. ::uc::
I don’t think that Priority is going up, at least not for now.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Railsplitter wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:11 pm
Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:20 pm We were notified that First Class postage is going up and they are not going to be delivering FC as fast as before. Whereas were are seeing deliveries in 2 to 3 days now, it will take 2 to 5 days going forward. The further the address is from us the slower the delivery. The map shows that everything west of Texas is now 4 days with the coastal states taking 5 days. The northeast and southeast will also take 4 to 5 days.
Is the slower shipping for First Class supposed to go into effect at the same time as the price increase? Just wondering what to expect and when.
What I read said that it was going to happen at the same time.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Here is the map showing what the current delivery schedule looks like and what it will look like.

TFL, I agree with you on Fed Ex. Way too many stories that mirror what you said.
Attachments
05E391C1-1B26-4D3F-A3C9-47B037D2E530.jpeg
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

TwoFlowersLuggage wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:47 pm Well, don't look to Fedex to provide better service - my company just kicked Fedex out as our preferred shipper because their service has become absolutely horrible. Our products require a signature when delivered, and we had a bunch of customers saying the driver never showed-up, or left the package without getting a signature, etc. We even had a driver who threw it on the porch damaging the box and product. I don't know what the heck happened to Fedex, but they seem to have completely lost their way.
In the past two months, FedEx has delivered to the wrong house twice, and supposedly said they couldn't deliver a package for various reasons countless times (usually it's overloaded truck, but this time, it was without any reason).

And I don't use FedEx that much.
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

TwoFlowersLuggage wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:47 pm Well, don't look to Fedex to provide better service - my company just kicked Fedex out as our preferred shipper because their service has become absolutely horrible.
Of all the carriers, FedEx has caused me the most grief. Delivery drivers have standing orders to place articles in the garage, not on the porch in plain view. (I have a folder in my SD card with photos documenting their unwillingness to follow that simple instruction.) Many FedEx packages have arrived with obvious damage. Like Cody, I've had deliveries postponed for bogus reasons. More often than not, the drivers do nothing to alert us of their presence. And my latest FedEx delivery took five days to move about 375 miles.

Kicking FedEx out was a good call.
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

USPS is already horrible around here. I use the USPS Informed Delivery website and they show that I have some medicine that has been in Grand Prairie, TX less than 1 hour away, since July 21. They haven't even assigned a delivery date for it yet and here we are on the 26th. I'm not even going to get started talking about FedEx or Amazon delivery.... ::td::
David R (United States Navy Retired)
Don't just count your many blessings, be the blessing others count on!
Visit my website: Woodburning Art by David https://www.wdbydavid.com/
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

FedEx has been terrible here for several years. USPS is not much better. Amazon has been pretty good. UPS is and has been consistently the best for years. I’m rarely in a big hurry for items - safe and reliable delivery is typically more important to me than fast - there are occasional eceptions.

Amazon often uses contractors but they usually deliver to the house and leave items on the porch. Some don’t because they’re afraid of the dogs so they leave packages at the gate or in the yard or on the sidewalk.

UPS nearly always delivers to the house, and it’s the same UPS driver who knows the dogs. If it requires a signature he knocks or rings the doorbell.

USPS either leaves it in the mailbox, or if it won’t fit just places it by the gate. If it requires a signature they leave a card in the box, which means I have to wait until the next day and drive 10 miles to the post office to get it. :(

Don’t even get me started on FedEx horror stories. Sometimes the stuff they leave (usually on the ground at the gate) is not even for us, and after I call them it takes days before they come and pick it up. ::barf:: If I know who it’s for I take it to them or call them to come pick it up. I shudder to think what happens to stuff addressed to us. ::uc::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Boji
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Boji »

Only 1st class letter and flats are going up
1ST class package and Priority, no change
Protected by a large LOUD dog, and Smith & Wesson...
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

Here's the USPS website that talks about the changes, but from my quick look, they don't talk very much about rates, most of the discussion is about service times.

https://about.usps.com/what/strategic-p ... r-america/
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

TFL, thanks for posting that, I have had a hard time finding that again. The rates aren’t changing for packages but the delivery time is lengthened. That is a price increase in my book. Pay the same and get less. Same games they play at the grocery store, pay the same for a smaller package with less in it. Doesn’t fool anyone.
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

I noticed that they've even screwed up Informed Delivery. While it seems they pared down the number of packaged it showed (which for me, was parcels that went back 6 months), which I liked; it's odd that it's not showing a package a label was printed for yesterday, and departed the post office in CA it was coming from today, but it's not showing up in my Informed Delivery. There's another item that is happening with as well, but the item has yet to be shipped. And normally, they show up the minute the label is printed, even when the seller has not provided me with the number; which has happened more than once.

I'm back to having to manually bookmark the tracking numbers.
LDF Knives

Post by LDF Knives »

TwoFlowersLuggage wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:47 pm Well, don't look to Fedex to provide better service - my company just kicked Fedex out as our preferred shipper because their service has become absolutely horrible. Our products require a signature when delivered, and we had a bunch of customers saying the driver never showed-up, or left the package without getting a signature, etc. We even had a driver who threw it on the porch damaging the box and product. I don't know what the heck happened to Fedex, but they seem to have completely lost their way.
See my posting of UGH! FED EX they use smart Post and it's slower than a snail!!

Return to “General Knife Discussion”