Older buck 103 skinner

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
Ggoutdoorsman

Older buck 103 skinner

Post by Ggoutdoorsman »

Hi ,
I recently picked up an older 103 buck w/sheath in like new condition as deer skinning knife . In an effort to find out what type of steel was used it appears to be an early 60s best I can tell I still don’t know whether to use it or give to my son as collectable and pick up newer modelof this which is reletively inexpensive .I will post pic in which it only has Buck stamp on blade . Thank you in advance I am not a collector of knives but did buy a handfull of Remington knives nib I crossed paths with years ago just because thought they might be collectable some day .
7DB031A0-F91C-4710-9120-3666EFA9D867.jpeg
1695D455-0FF9-430B-8D16-C0983AA2F884.jpeg
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Older buck 103 shinner

Post by KLJ77 »

Greetings, Ggoutdoorsman...and ::welcome:: to AAPK.

Your 103 was manufactured between 1961-1967 due to the "BUCK" one line stamp and being inverted. To narrow the date down a bit more, I am guessing that your knife was actually manufactured in 1965. The reason I say this is; If your sheath is the original sheath, Buck switched over to the 'flap-over' sheath in 1965. As to the steel used, I believe Buck used 440C steel during that timeline. 440C steel is a very durable steel and a bit harder to sharpen than todays 420. Nevertheless, it holds a fine edge.

For a knife that is at least 56 years old, and appears to be in very nice condition, I personally would make this a 'collectible' and a safe queen. But, to each their own.
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

KLJ77 wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:06 pm I personally would make this a 'collectible' and a safe queen.
That's the route I'd take, too: buy a new one as a user and keep the 1960s model as a safe queen. I wouldn't risk beating up something that survived so long in such good condition. But if you put it to work, it should be very capable.
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
Ggoutdoorsman

Post by Ggoutdoorsman »

Thank you !
This is why I asked the guys that know, I would use 1 time and it would be marked up by drop or something worse .Looks like it was never used and I will take your advice. Me and my son are always reaching for same knife when skinning so I grabbed this when I saw it .What would ballpark value for this knife so my 18 yr will respect it stays in safe rule ? I am not selling just want him to know it will ruin value if used . Thank you guys again I’m glad to preserve an oldie but goodie .
Regards Glenn
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

Glenn,

I'll give my personal opinion on value, which may or may not mean diddly. However, if that knife were in my possession, in that excellent to NM condition, and a very worthy collectible, I would say it's worth no less than $300.00 at todays fair market value. imho. It is also worth whatever a buyer is willing to give for or what the seller is willing to accept.

However, if you want to pin the value down a bit tighter, go to ebay and do a search for 'vintage buck 103' and see what they're selling for. Then do an 'advanced' search using the same criteria and see what they've sold for. Be sure to 'check' the 'sold' box in the advanced search. Then average out the difference.
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
Ggoutdoorsman

Post by Ggoutdoorsman »

Thats awesome ,thank you for you help and advice it will be taken with much appreciation . I rarely buy anything new its nice to find a gem when out bargain hunting.I love older manufactured items because they were made with american pride !Built to outlast the user . Thank you again ,My son will think of me someday when he pulls it out of the safe one day and thats worth moth ballin right there ! You guys made my day .Thank you for your time and GBAmerica Glenn
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Older buck 103 skinner

Post by 1967redrider »

Black Phenolic handle with the red spacers, those are sweet knives. ::tu:: ::welcome:: to AAPK!
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Ggoutdoorsman

Re: Older buck 103 skinner

Post by Ggoutdoorsman »

Thank you for the warm welcome and I agree you can never have enough knives :)

Return to “General Knife Discussion”