Truth be told, The RR Kamp King my favorite scout

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
zippo123

Truth be told, The RR Kamp King my favorite scout

Post by zippo123 »

I have a small scout pattern knife collection…..
Pretty much all the Chinese made scouts some hard to find USA ones

Schatt & Morgan
Case
Remington Bullet
Boker
Camillus

Love all the US made ones, of course, and I am not comparing those high end scouts to the Rough Ryder, but I have to say, the Rough Ryder Kamp king is my favorite…..because I actually carry and use it and like its looks.

…Its built great, easy to deploy blades, cool old timey retro look with no RR logos on outside… real bone jigged scales, feels great in hand, has 1/2 stops! and cost
$ 20 bucks shipped!! Like them so much I bought a few to save and put away. I think this knife flew under the radar and is a sleeper, under appreciated.

just in case your interested..
https://www.chicagoknifeworks.com/rough ... g/#reviews

Hey, when something is a made well, and probably x times better than the original western, ulster, New York and so vintage oldies, because of advances in material and production ability, what is not to love. Its like buying a brand new 1965 mustang but with better quality components, ha.
Attachments
image.jpg
A1582BC0-E6CF-4343-B98F-AB406C54D6EA.jpeg
kootenay joe

Re: Truth be told, The RR Kamp King my favorite scout

Post by kootenay joe »

Here is my Rough Rider 'Scout' type knife. It is an earlier version than the "Kamp King", RR533.
Very well made, strong springs and super sharp edges. I cut my thumb rather deeply on the 'Tin Opener' blade while taking these pictures.
It is a great knife and i think cost $10-$12 when i bought it about 10 or more years ago.
kj
Attachments
IMGP1404.JPG
IMGP1405.JPG
IMGP1406.JPG
zippo123

Post by zippo123 »

Ouch! Hope my post was not the cause of the injury….sorry if it was.

Yea I have that one too…nice knife, but I like the nostalgic look of the Kamp King better. And the Kamp king has crisp 1/2 stops.
Sweetpieces4you

Post by Sweetpieces4you »

:lol: Getting cut and having no thumb nail left is all part of handling knives :D I handle many knives on a daily basis and have learned to use a blade opener and have a large box of bandaids on hand :lol: But while you have your knife open it’s a good time to put a drop of oil in it and work the blades a little to hopefully prevent any further injuries ::tu:: I have actually broke the springs on more than a few by forcing them open without oiling them 1st and letting them sit for awhile so it soaks in ::dang:: Or in some cases a more powerful solution to help break up any rust that may have started ::tu:: All to help offset injuries and to hopefully save a knife ::tu::
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Basically, it's the only one you can get. I have the Demo knife clone (for the price, THE best knife money can buy) as well as the big one (the "Scout King" originally sold as a Dave Canterbury collaboration under the Marble's name; but the same pattern now appears as Rough Ryder in red bone, and as another Marble's with an orange G-10 handle and oddly shaped black G-10 bolsters). I have used them both extensively, and have had no problem with either.

I am hoping both get an orange G-10 handle and plain nickel silver bolsters.

Here's a run down off the top of my head:

Camillus--out of business

Schrade/Imperial/Ulster--out of business

Case--discontinued the Jr. Scout a few years back.

GEC--their "Scout" pattern hasn't seen use in years.

Bear and Son. They did a few BSA knives a couple of years (I want to say 2009-11?) after the Camillus bankruptcy; mostly copying the Camillus patterns (I've suspected since they had a #1047; they had the Camillus tooling for at least that model) and BSA/Venture Scouts variants of Bear's own tactical patterns (a lot of this comes from memory of the Scout Stuff catalog during my Scout years). They also used the Scout pattern for some non-BSA issues in wood and imitation stag. But, they were known to be poor quality.

The Colonial "Demo" knife is a little hard to find, and a little expensive for what it is. After the "new" revived Colonial Knife got started in 2005, they did a small series of Scout knives, but many have suspected Camillus actually made them, as they stopped being made after 2008. They did also produce a wood handle Girl Scout knife (with bolsters) as well as an imitation stag Scout that was a trade fair giveaway from Ideal Tools and Consolidated Electrical Distributors (which I have; and have only seen one like it). Colonial is also a little "gray area" in where they are made.

Boker does offer one, supposedly in 440C, in their budget "Magnum" line; but that's the only other one that I would call a true "Scout/Camper" pattern instead of a Demo knife copy.
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

Just saw a recent Colonial GSA Anniversary knife, new in box, on Ebay. Quality looked good, wonder who made it.
eveled

Post by eveled »

The new Colonial Demo knives are worse than the Chinese Schrade copies. The Rough Rider Camp king is nice.

I like carbon steel as much or probably more than most knife collectors. But any knife with a can opener I prefer to be stainless. Just so I can rinse it off and stick it in my pocket without any worry.

One way I judge camp knives is by how well the blades nest together. I see the RR camp king has an offsett bent into the can opener. That’s something you don’t see often anymore.

Can I please see a picture with all blades closed straight down into the well??
Eye Brand Man

Post by Eye Brand Man »

“Hey, when something is a made well, and probably x times better than the original western, ulster, New York and so vintage oldies, because of advances in material and production ability, what is not to love. Its like buying a brand new 1965 mustang but with better quality components, ha.”
[/quote]

I don’t think I can totally agree with this statement. Comparing RR’ s to old American brands is like apple’s and oranges to me. Sure the RR “look” nice , but how great are they actually made and how quality are the materials. They built these knives to look good , but I think it’s skin deep. Use one hard for years and see how they hold up.
Eye Brand Collector
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

knifeaholic wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:05 pm Just saw a recent Colonial GSA Anniversary knife, new in box, on Ebay. Quality looked good, wonder who made it.
I saw another that said "MADE IN CHINA"; and in fact, "CHINA" was etched/inked (poorly) right onto the main blade. I think the automatics are the only thing they make here.
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

I’m going to keep out of this discussion BUT how the —— does rr get to con the Kamp King name?????
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
Eye Brand Man

Post by Eye Brand Man »

garddogg56 wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:21 pm I’m going to keep out of this discussion BUT how the —— does rr get to con the Kamp King name?????
That’s SMKW thing. Buy all the old brand names you can and slap them in what ever you please. ::facepalm::
Eye Brand Collector
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

garddogg56 wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:21 pm I’m going to keep out of this discussion BUT how the —— does rr get to con the Kamp King name?????
I was trying to figure out that myself when it appeared in the SMKW catalog a year or two ago. I know Schrade had produced a Kamp King in Ireland years after Imperial ceased making them in Providence, RI.

However, I did some digging: https://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/showfiel ... vluo1r.2.1

I don't know what the deal is. The trademark was first used by Imperial in 1935; officially registered in 1940. I looked into the documentation that goes with it, and they showed renewal in 1980. It was renewed last (originally for ten years) by Schrade in 2001, when they produced a Kamp King in Ireland. So, technically dead in 2011 (10 years ago); but the trademark was canceled in 2016. Eighty years later!!!! I thought it had gone dead decades ago!!!

Of course, SMKW also had a line of "Rodgers" knives, and Egginton still owns the trademark; and they are still making them in Sheffield. SUrprised SMKW didn't get sued there.
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Eye Brand Man wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:43 pm
That’s SMKW thing. Buy all the old brand names you can and slap them in what ever you please. ::facepalm::
Technically with SMKW, a lot of these old brands (except for Queen especially) they didn't buy. It was old names known for quality products in their prime whose trademarks had shifted into the public domain that were then free use for SMKW to slap on Frost crap.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Quoting EBM :Comparing RR’ s to old American brands is like apple’s and oranges to me. Sure the RR “look” nice , but how great are they actually made and how quality are the materials. They built these knives to look good , but I think it’s skin deep"
Yes that is exactly what i thought too. How can you sell a well made strong knife for $10. It is not possible.
But, i began using RR folding knives in about 2008 and i have found them to be: super duper sharp, edge hold way longer than my Eye Brand or Schrade USA knives, and none have developed any blade play, all snaps still good and handles are intact, no cracks.
How is this possible ? I don't know, but you buy a couple of RR's, use them hard and see what happens. And then of course, report back.
The RR knives i have used are the 'early' ones. I don't know if the more recent ones are just as great, but likely they are.
kj
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

knifeaholic wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:05 pm Just saw a recent Colonial GSA Anniversary knife, new in box, on Ebay. Quality looked good, wonder who made it.
Here is my Colonial Girl Scouts 100 yr anniversary 'Camp' knife.
Note that tang is marked "Colonial/11/Prov., R.I." and then on blade flat is an etched "C". "C" for Colonial ? or China ?
Solidly made, steel liners. Good fit.
kj
Attachments
IMGP1407.JPG
IMGP1408.JPG
IMGP1409.JPG
IMGP1410.JPG
IMGP1411.JPG
IMGP1412.JPG
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

kootenay joe wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:06 am
Here is my Colonial Girl Scouts 100 yr anniversary 'Camp' knife.
Note that tang is marked "Colonial/11/Prov., R.I." and then on blade flat is an etched "C". "C" for Colonial ? or China ?
Solidly made, steel liners. Good fit.
kj

China. There's one on eBay right now that has a "CHINA" etch/inking on the pile side in roughly the same position. I have a different model, and it's pretty decent.
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

That Kamp King looks pretty nice.

I have this Colt Utility/Scout Knife that is very well made in my opinion. I think SMKW owns or owned the Colt name when I bought it. I don't use it. I bought it because it's blue and it looked like a beast of a knife, which it is. I also like that it differentiates from other Scout knives by not having a bail. The Philips Screwdriver is unique too.

I just think it's a cool knife.
Attachments
IMG_2993.JPG
IMG_2994.JPG
IMG_2992.JPG
IMG_2998.JPG
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Zippo, thanks for starting this thread. Some really nice knives posted, and great input. I know next to nothing of this style of knife and it's history, but some great posts and information being posted, thanks everyone. ::tu::
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

The Colt above has 3 springs. How many blades/tools does it have ?
kj
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

cudgee wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:55 am Zippo, thanks for starting this thread. Some really nice knives posted, and great input. I know next to nothing of this style of knife and it's history, but some great posts and information being posted, thanks everyone. ::tu::
cudgee, having so many different makers and variations, the ”scout” is one of my favorite patterns. If you’re interested in learning about the pattern here’s a very comprehensive and long running old thread: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=12874

As of now it’s over 200 pages of posts, so if you’re interested, pack a lunch! :lol: In addition to all the pictures, included in there somewhere is a lot of history about the pattern, both “official” and non-official versions.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:59 am
cudgee wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:55 am Zippo, thanks for starting this thread. Some really nice knives posted, and great input. I know next to nothing of this style of knife and it's history, but some great posts and information being posted, thanks everyone. ::tu::
cudgee, having so many different makers and variations, the ”scout” is one of my favorite patterns. If you’re interested in learning about the pattern here’s a very comprehensive and long running old thread: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=12874

As of now it’s over 200 pages of posts, so if you’re interested, pack a lunch! :lol: In addition to all the pictures, included in there somewhere is a lot of history about the pattern, both “official” and non-official versions.

Ken
Thanks Ken. How are you going for rain, i read that some parts of America are in drought. Have a good week mate. ::tu::
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Here is a Big & Hefty 'Scout' type knife, made by Camillus, a copy of the Remington R4243, just under 5" closed length. Look at how thick the liners are !
kj
Attachments
IMGP1413.JPG
IMGP1415.JPG
IMGP1414.JPG
ken98k
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by ken98k »

Railsplitter wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:44 am That Kamp King looks pretty nice.

I have this Colt Utility/Scout Knife that is very well made in my opinion. I think SMKW owns or owned the Colt name when I bought it. I don't use it. I bought it because it's blue and it looked like a beast of a knife, which it is. I also like that it differentiates from other Scout knives by not having a bail. The Philips Screwdriver is unique too.

I just think it's a cool knife.
I believe the Asian colts, like yours, were made in the same factory that now produces Rough Ryders.
I collected a few SMKW Colts until they became unavailable, then suddenly the same knives were available wit RR stamps and shields.

PS. I had the same blue camp knife until gifting it to the little boy from across the street. He promptly lost it. ::shrug::
I am the NRA.
Let's go Brandon!
zippo123

Post by zippo123 »

I am glad everyone is chimming in and I am not getting beat up for liking something made in China. Here are a picture of all the
RR and Marbles scouts made in my collection. .RR manufactures Marbles I heard and the quality is the same. All of them are hell of a great knife for the money.

The other pic is of my growing quality US made scouts. I have a few more on the way, a sterling Silver bullet Rem scout, another Rem 2012 limited ed BSA repro made by Bear & Sons, an Ulster BSA new in box with papers….
Attachments
0EAA039B-214D-4708-BF28-547004F44D3D.jpeg
DDF1EB38-E018-437F-8913-11441E9E87D7.jpeg
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

kootenay joe wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:49 am The Colt above has 3 springs. How many blades/tools does it have ?
kj
Here you go Roland. The blade rides on the middle spring with the other 4 tools riding on the outer springs.
Attachments
IMG_2995.JPG
IMG_2996.JPG
IMG_2997.JPG
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.

Return to “General Knife Discussion”