What kind of knives do you collect and why?

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
toomanyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: What kind of knives do you collect and why?

Post by toomanyknives »

Ivoryman wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:03 pm
toomanyknives wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:19 am USA, German, Sheffield. Mostly older, but some new Case...These type of things..I collect these, because they remind me of my youth, and to preserve them for the future collectors..IMG_0003.JPGIMG_0005.JPG

Beautiful group, love seeing a bunch like that. Says a lot about a person. And enjoyable to peruse.
Thanks IMan! I think it says that I love me some pocket knives! :D
toomanyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by toomanyknives »

Dan In MI wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:03 pm
zippo123 wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:00 pm All that fancy do da steel worship...
That's one reason I'm glad I didn't get the Spyderco plane up to V1 speed. For those who like the fancy exotic steels, that's cool; enjoy them. I, in the other hand, realized that if I'm going to use a knife, I want proven materials. Paying that kind of money for something made from unproven material, only to beat the dickens out of it, is folly in my book.
toomanyknives wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:19 am USA, German, Sheffield. Mostly older, but some new Case...
Nice collection...and man alive, those Schrades! The one with the L.L. Bean shield looks like a 34OT. If so, there's another for me to hunt down!
Yes sir, Dan. It is a 34OT.. I stumbled on that one at a big flea market in Atlanta. It was brought down by a dealer from Michigan. That one traveled to get to me! :D
toomanyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by toomanyknives »

Steamboat Willie wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:11 am
zippo123 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:24 am
toomanyknives wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:19 am USA, German, Sheffield. Mostly older, but some new Case...These type of things..I collect these, because they remind me of my youth, and to preserve them for the future collectors..IMG_0003.JPGIMG_0005.JPG
very very nice collection.
Indeed!
Thanks Willie! :D
carpx

Post by carpx »

I always demand my EDC be shaving sharp. I was asked by a friend to sharpen his knife, and as soon as I saw how hard his Gerber stockman was, I had to have a Gerber. My first was a "Silver Knight 2 blade I bought at an Alco store in Blytheville Ar. It was everything I hoped it would be. Since then I have compiled a pretty good number of the "Silver Knight" series, and have begun to add Sportsmen, and the PK series.
Attachments
IMG_0559.JPG
IMG_0831.JPG
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Miller Bro's wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:55 pm WHAT KIND OF KNIVES DO YOU COLLECT ?

Just about every kind that is old.

WHY?

It's an addiction/sickness.
Ain't it the truth mate!
::nod:: ... :roll: ... ::facepalm::
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

My collecting is focused on vintage pen/gents knives (primarily European), anything Queen cutlery, and books/memorabilia.

I accumulate anything that catches my fancy (primarily for edc), & in the $ range for the month.

That's how i justify the addiction; by splitting my foggy computer into different file cabinets... :mrgreen:
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

WillyCamaro wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:55 am My collecting is focused on vintage pen/gents knives (primarily European), anything Queen cutlery, and books/memorabilia.

I accumulate anything that catches my fancy (primarily for edc), & in the $ range for the month.

That's how i justify the addiction; by splitting my foggy computer into different file cabinets... :mrgreen:
Sometimes I wish I was disciplined and focused enough to collect a certain brand or pattern. I do have my favorites that I look for (Camillus 72, Loomfixers, CASE 6375, etc…) but alas I can’t stay that focused. What ever grabs my attention at the moment that I have the funds for. It’s a sickness I tell ya.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Colonel26 wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:39 pm
WillyCamaro wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:55 am My collecting is focused on vintage pen/gents knives (primarily European), anything Queen cutlery, and books/memorabilia.

Sometimes I wish I was disciplined and focused enough to collect a certain brand or pattern. I do have my favorites that I look for (Camillus 72, Loomfixers, CASE 6375, etc…) but alas I can’t stay that focused. What ever grabs my attention at the moment that I have the funds for. It’s a sickness I tell ya.
Hey brother, a'least you have the guts to admit yer sick...
Me, it's excuses excuses excuses.
:mrgreen:
Winston Churchill

Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

Colonel26 wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:39 pm Sometimes I wish I was disciplined and focused enough to collect a certain brand or pattern.
I have forced myself to be that disciplined. Used to be I'd buy a knife simply because it looked cool. But the huge amount of knives out there, plus my lack of Daddy Warbucks' huge pile of money, got me to focus on a few brands and patterns. Not to say I won't deviate from that focus at all, but I won't actively seek out knives I'm not focused on.
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

Not me! I've got this under control. I can quit this anytime I want! Any time at all.
Maybe after buying one more...
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Besides Camillus 72's & clones and mini-trappers????? What ever catches my eye & I don't call that collecting. To me, that's accumulating (as I like to call my sickness).
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Reverand wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:44 am

Not me! I've got this under control. I can quit this anytime I want! Any time at all.
:mrgreen:
Winston Churchill

Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

jerryd6818 wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:37 am Besides Camillus 72's & clones and mini-trappers????? What ever catches my eye & I don't call that collecting. To me, that's accumulating (as I like to call my sickness).
Absolutely! Collecting requires discipline, I lack discipline, therefore, I’m an accumulator! :mrgreen:
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Reverand wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:44 am

Me too!!! ROFL
Robert E. Lee

Return to “General Knife Discussion”