What kind of knives do you collect and why?

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
Steamboat Willie
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

What kind of knives do you collect and why?

Post by Steamboat Willie »

Maybe this topic already exists?

When I fall into a new hobby I often try to get a feel for the tastes of other folks who have been involved longer than myself. I’m still at such an early stage that I could not answer this very question if it was asked to me.

Before I came to AAPK knives were little more than tools to me. I’d buy one to try it out as a carry knife to see if it suited me, then eventually get bored with it, and put it in the knife box and move on to the next shiny sharp object that caught my eye. I came here to read people’s opinions on a couple knives I was considering buying, and the bug bit me!

I’ve acquired a couple GEC’s, and they became instant favorites, but the price point will likely keep me from picking up very many more. I’ve always been fond of Buck and Case, because they’re the “old reliable” brands of American pocket knives. The stockman is my favorite pattern for its versatility, though I’ve learned to appreciate a large two bladed Jack. I also like to have a large single blade locker in my back pocket for doing heavy jobs. I look around here and on eBay and it’s complete sensory overload!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

I’m still finding my sea legs here in the knife world, but what does it for you guys??
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: What kind of knives do you collect and why?

Post by Railsplitter »

I don’t personally have any rhyme or reason to my collection. I see a knife I like and I buy it. That’s what works best for me. If I stuck to a “theme” of some sort I would have to pass on a lot of knives that I like.

I do own more slip joints than any other type but that’s about where it ends for me. I’m mostly into lock backs now so Those have the potential to surpass slip joints if I keep going at the rate I’m going.
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

It used to be that I'd buy any knife when it caught my fancy. With so dang many knives on the market, though, I've really had to restrict myself. After giving it some thought, I've decided to restrict my active searching to a few brands: Camillus, Case, Schrade, and Victorinox. (Camillus and Schrade are limited to those produced before the original concerns went bust.) The odd Stockman from another brand might creep in here and there, and I'll pick up any Wengers I see at a decent price.

I thought about collecting Spydercos, but they tend to be pricey, and my main interest in knifedom has always been slip joints. So I aborted that takeoff. Most of my Spydies have been sold or traded. Lockbacks and fixed blades still have their place with me: as tools. However, I may add fixed blade Old Timers as collectibles in the future.

Sometimes a knife will come to me as part of a mixed lot, or as a bonus with a purchase or trade. Bonuses and good mixed lot fodder will have a place in my collection. My new Ka-Bar is such a knife.

And so ends this ramble.
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

My collection is not about any one brand, pattern, age or style. I like to think of my collection as a representation of as many knives from as many sources and as many time periods as possible, it's history. I collect, research, and document them for my own purpose and pleasure, it's my retirement hobby. Not quite the same as most other members, but that's me.
David R (United States Navy Retired)
Don't just count your many blessings, be the blessing others count on!
Visit my website: Woodburning Art by David https://www.wdbydavid.com/
bladecollectorr

Post by bladecollectorr »

I ended-up collecting only Imperial Schrade related knives. I found more fertile ground in their 100 year history than I could ever hope to cover.

I had used an Uncle Henry fillet for over two decades so I was personally a happy customer. I grew-up reading Schrade's magazine ads in the 1970's and 80's and seeing their displays at the Canadian version of your US SHOT Show. I always yearned for the full display cases but that was never an option. Those cases seemed like the coolest thing you could ever have in your room when I was 13.

5 years after Schrade closed in 2004 I stumbled across a real nice Schrade "Ducks Unlimited" lockback that was for sale and I bought it as a display piece. My first "safe queen". I delved into these forums and found other Schrade collectors who had more fantastic Limited Edition-type stuff such as I'd never seen before. I learned that there is a brisk online trade in knives and with patience, and the correct amount of money, most any knife you wanted could eventually be acquired.

Boom! I jumped right in and have been buying quite steadily ever since. People gripe about ebay but, for all its very real faults, ebay is still a place where misspellings, bad descriptions, poor pictures or good-luck can land you really hard-to-find stuff for much less than its worth. It doesn't happen every day but its sweet-as-candy when it does happen. I enjoy the hunt for such treasures.

Collecting old Schrade knives has also transformed the mailman into a time-traveler who brings me "new" things from long ago. It seems almost magical sometimes. Poof! "A mint condition knife from 1936! That took a long time to get to me. It was worth the wait!"
I don't always respond to great posts but I always appreciate seeing them. Thanks for posting! ::tu::
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

12 or so years ago when I got into collecting, I was buying up anything I could find; Chinese, German, cheap and random. Then I discovered Case and American made knives and started buying up new production American made knives.

Shortly after that I saw older Case knives were in demand but I didn't know enough about the market, so I bought some good reference books after a few failed purchases of spent, pretty much worthless, knives. I learned the importance of condition. Around this time I also started frequenting AAPK and tried reading as much as possible from the knowledgeable posts here. I tried to absorb as much information from the reference books and soon realized it was so much information that my best bet was to remember where I could find what I needed for different situations; tang stamps, patterns, brands, etc.

Then I found the auction houses and realized I could probably find the older and unique knives that caught my attention there at an affordable price. I also started attending knife shows and would visit antique shops looking for knives that caught my attention.

I still buy new modern knives; American, Chinese, Italian, Spanish, German and South American. But I love finding a nice older knife in decent condition and focus more on specific brands or tang stamps. It seems I learn something new every day here about traditional American makers, most of which are no longer in existence. I also like collecting knives designed for military purposes, both old and new. I seek out certain patterns that interest me.

So my collection is all over the board but lately it has become more focused. I collect what I find interesting. I do a very limited amount of trading and do no selling. When I buy something it will probably be with me for quite some time.
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Jacknifeben

Post by Jacknifeben »

For the last forty years I have collected Cattaraugus and Jack Knife Ben,Union Stock Yards. Some of the best knives made.
RevolverP320

Post by RevolverP320 »

Great thread, my favorite pattern is the scout knife, that's most of my collection but I also like easy openers and boys knives, The brand I most collect is Utica/Kutmaster oh I also like USA made WWII pocket knives. But then if I find one i like I buy it. Most of my knives are 60 to 90ish years old but I EDC a Benchmade Griptilian. So yea I'm all over the place. ::dang:: ::facepalm::
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

My collecting is varied but specialized --

I collect primarily FIXED BLADE knives made by Kabar, Western and Buck, and military-issued sharp/pointy objects - bayonets, swords, sabers, and machetes, with a smattering of other tools thrown in for good measure.

I also collect US Navy navigation equipment, BSA memorabilia and ROTC DUI/DI pins.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I collect a little of everything but my main focus for over 50 years has been pre-1980 Case pocket knives. Because they are consistently excellent knives, as good as any ever made by any production manufacturer. There are literally hundreds of patterns, many with beautiful natural materials such as stag, bone, pearl, etc. With a few exceptions prices are generally on par with or lower than modern GEC knives, and older Case knives have a track record of holding or increasing value (at least keeping par with inflation). Many stay away from them because counterfeits abound (especially knives from Tested XX and prior eras), but for me studying knives and learning how to avoid counterfeits is part of what makes collecting them interesting.

But I will also grab a good deal on other older brands like Remington, Cattaraugus, Ulster, Schrade, Kabar, Western, Keen Kutter, HSB, Camillus, etc, especially if they are a pattern I like. The reason for collecting them is the same as older Case knives - knives made by or for those companies during the first half of the twentieth century are as consistently fine as any ever made, anywhere. Again, studying and learning their histories is a big part of the enjoyment for me.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Lansky1

Post by Lansky1 »

Mostly post 1980 Case's (a few '70's and a few GEC's). I've had most every late model Case pattern, and I've narrowed my likes down to a dozen or so patterns, and focus on those - no duplicates. Just like all the bone side and some of the interesting acrylic options Case offers and the quality is good enough for me as I only keep the really good ones
pffffft that's not a knife ......... now THAT'S a knife !! Crocodile Dundee

John
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

My first interest has been consistent over many years- the American fixed blade hunting knife. Another long-term interest has been Schrade USA knives of many patterns. But wait! There's more! Many American (and even German :shock: ) good quality and high condition slipjoint knives from mostly before WWII (not to be confused with WW11 :( ). I'm in pretty deep. I have one flipper that is a special gift. I have zero tactical, communist Chinese (enemy of America), or Pakistani knives. Rare and few acquisitions have been 'scout' and electrician knives. They have to be special to show up here. But I love to see many kinds of knives shown by members that I personally might not have. Ray, for instance, has an example of every knife known to man! :shock: 8) ::tu:: . Good thread!
wiseguy

Post by wiseguy »

I collect old and antique switchblade knives from America, typically they are knives with the intention of being used in everyday tasks, I do have a couple automatic daggers but not my focus. Why?? I guess It’s the mechanical feature and ease of use…. Also the sound effects when fired .
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

WHAT KIND OF KNIVES DO YOU COLLECT ?

Just about every kind that is old.

WHY?

It's an addiction/sickness.
AAPK Janitor
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

Original Dot Era Case (1970-1979). Why? They're excellent knives that have withstood the test of time.

_________
Mike
"If there are no Dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went". Will Rogers

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Although I do not have an example of every knife known to man(I'm working on it :mrgreen:) my ,"accumulation"(collection is not a word I like)is somewhat diverse.It has come to be so because as I age my tastes in knives(and everything else)evolve.
For instance I really used to enjoy a glass of good sour mash whiskey at the end of the day but due to the number of medicinal substances I am forced to ingest every day that has become problematic.
When I got my first knife(which I still own)at the age of ten I had to have a hunting knife even though my hunting escapades were minimal and did not require the use of a knife. Then a friend of mine in school got a fishtail switchblade and I had to have one of those. Cost me 2 months allowance and it broke after a couple weeks.
Switchblades were still able to be purchased in stores but you had to be 18 to buy one.I managed to con an older neighbor into buying one for me.That didn't last long;a teacher got sick of listening to me opening and closing it while he was trying to teach class.Never did get it back.
Although I always had several knives around,my accumulation addiction didn't really take off until after I got out of the Navy in 1967.It was supplemented by my friendships with several members of the law enforcement community who would supply me with knives in exchange for me working on their motor vehicles.
It accelerated rapidly when I became aware of an organization known as the National Knife Collector's & Dealers Association.I became a member and it was all downhill from there.
As to what types of knives I collect,I must say that it has evolved over time.After switchblades it was stag handled knives and then pearls.That morphed into ivory handled ones and then multi-blades. When knives started becoming harder to find I started into straight razors and then safety razors. Somewhere along the line I found letter opener knives and then regular letter openers. I always enjoyed finding "unusual" knives which can encompass many factors.Knives that have special use(usually single purpose)or ones that don't look like knives.Advertising knives can be a whole field of types.
So after accumulating knives for about 67 years what do I collect now? Whatever I like when I see it.
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
RobesonsRme.com

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

The original poster probably does not have much interest in old American made pocketknives, but he asked the question.

I started out accumulating pre-1965 Robeson pocketknives and along the way, picked up the odd Terrier, a secondary, but premium brand that Robeson produced between 1910 and 1916.

When I had accumulated about three-hundred-fifty knives and retired at the end of 2013, I realized it was not advisable to continue to the end of my life with all these knives, so I started selling the Robeson branded knives and it has been a slow go. I do have a small cadre of dedicated collectors that have been buying individual knives or groups of knives. For instance, all my Barlows and most scout/utilities went to one man.

But, I did not want to stop the hunt. So, I have continued to pursue the Terrier knives. There aren’t many out there. Good ones present themselves once in a blue moon, so the yearly outlay of cash is not really too great, although the nice ones do not come cheaply.

All Terrier knives are now well over one hundred years old, the most recent ones being about 105.

Here’s most of what I have. Have added a few since this photo was made. Will add more as they come along.

Charlie Noyes
Attachments
A81DC6C6-6DE2-4216-90C6-E8562F5967AC.jpeg
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

A wonderful display of Terriers! ::tu:: I wish I could say that I was that focused. I am about as focused as the average magpie, I guess.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Nice group of Terriers, Charlie. ::tu:: ::tu::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

RobesonsRme.com wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 4:57 pm The original poster probably does not have much interest in old American made pocketknives, but he asked the question.

I started out accumulating pre-1965 Robeson pocketknives and along the way, picked up the odd Terrier, a secondary, but premium brand that Robeson produced between 1910 and 1916.

When I had accumulated about three-hundred-fifty knives and retired at the end of 2013, I realized it was not advisable to continue to the end of my life with all these knives, so I started selling the Robeson branded knives and it has been a slow go. I do have a small cadre of dedicated collectors that have been buying individual knives or groups of knives. For instance, all my Barlows and most scout/utilities went to one man.

But, I did not want to stop the hunt. So, I have continued to pursue the Terrier knives. There aren’t many out there. Good ones present themselves once in a blue moon, so the yearly outlay of cash is not really too great, although the nice ones do not come cheaply.

All Terrier knives are now well over one hundred years old, the most recent ones being about 105.

Here’s most of what I have. Have added a few since this photo was made. Will add more as they come along.

Charlie Noyes
Great collection Charlie.
The Barlow with TCC on the bolster is my Holy Grail knife.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

RobesonsRme.com wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 4:57 pm All Terrier knives are now well over one hundred years old, the most recent ones being about 105.

Here’s most of what I have.
Stellar collection of Terriers!

There are a few things I left out of my initial post in this thread. One is a few criteria that will make me avoid a knife altogether: if it looks like it was purchased from a truck stop or pilfered from the set of a zombie apocalypse movie, or if it was made in China or Pakistan. Quite a few of the knives in my collection have wear, but generally speaking, I avoid those with major damage. Should I acquire any with major damage, I'll set them aside for repair, dissection, or the next POS roundup; the worst of that lot would be tossed in the trash can. Finally, any knife that bears U.S. Navy decoration and doesn't fall into one of the deal-breaker categories would have a place in my collection.
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
beresman
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by beresman »

I have a collection of folding knives from different countries around the world. I think I'm up to about 52 or so different countries; that has slowed as I've seemed to run out of countries that have produced folding knives (although I still keep my eyes open). I just find the diversity fascinating.

I also have a collection of "knives of color"--different celluloid colors and patterns. Folks will say to keep them separated from other knives (because of potential outgassing problems), and if I had it to do over again, I might not have bought as many. Still, there are some really beautiful knives in that category. And I've never spent much over $20 for any of those knives.

Other than that, it's knives I find interesting or comfortable to carry. My favorite, I think, is a Camillus 69. But I have a variety of brands, US, German and (yeah, I know...) a few Chinese as well.

I also have a few knives I've re-habbed, either with new handles, or removing a broken blade, or something similar. I tinker a bit, just enough to keep me out of other trouble.

Lately I've been buying pearl-handled knives. There seems to be a great diversity of styles (and quality as well!), and they're (usually) not very expensive. Of course, mother of pearl cracks easily, so cracked handles seem to often be a fact of life. But there are some very beautiful and well-made knives if you look carefully.
Brent
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Miller Bro's wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:55 pm WHAT KIND OF KNIVES DO YOU COLLECT ?

Just about every kind that is old.

WHY?

It's an addiction/sickness.

::rotflol:: ::rotflol:: ::rotflol:: ::rotflol:: ::rotflol:: ::rotflol:: ::clapping:: ::clapping:: ::clapping:: ::clapping:: ::clapping:: ::clapping:: ::rotflol:: ::rotflol:: ::rotflol:: ::rotflol:: ::clapping:: ::clapping:: ::clapping:: ::rotflol:: ::rotflol:: ::rotflol:: ::rotflol:: ::rotflol::
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

knife7knut wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:05 am Although I do not have an example of every knife known to man(I'm working on it :mrgreen:) my ,"accumulation"(collection is not a word I like)is somewhat diverse.It has come to be so because as I age my tastes in knives(and everything else)evolve.

So after accumulating knives for about 67 years what do I collect now? Whatever I like when I see it.

Right on, couldn't have said it better myself.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
knifegnome
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifegnome »

I like the knives made pre WWII but will buy any knife if it is a good deal. My main collection focuses a few brands made in New York. I actively look for Napanoch , Honk Falls ,New York Knife Co, Canastota and any of those odd NY brands,also like those old Conn. brands.Also picking up Remington fixed blades. Can't forget about old knife boxes ,displays and letterheads or advertisement. I need help...

Return to “General Knife Discussion”