What kind of knives do you collect and why?

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
CluelessNick
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: What kind of knives do you collect and why?

Post by CluelessNick »

::tu::
knife7knut wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:59 pm
CluelessNick wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:19 pm I collect old cheap Colonial knives cause I just know that one day they will be worth a small fortune. Well also I like 'em.
You might be onto something Nick;have you seen the prices of shell handled knives recently? BTW I like 'em too.
::tu:: ::tu:: I doubt I'll live that long.
BarlowSki

Post by BarlowSki »

My new COVID hobby is collecting an example of each variation of American made Barlows. I have approximately 45 so far, and use Goins as my guidebook.

Question for the group, since I can’t really find the specific answer on the interweb - is there a specific definition of what a Barlow is? For a large majority that I find, they are pretty easy based on the longer bolster, but there are some that are “Barlow” in shape and blade style, but have a shorter bolster. I have been avoiding buying some knives if I can’t definitively identify them as a barlow. Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

As an example, there is a knife on e-bay that is identified as a “dog-leg jack” that seems very much like a Barlow, but I can’t be sure.
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

BarlowSki wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:02 pm ...there is a knife on e-bay that is identified as a “dog-leg jack” that seems very much like a Barlow, but I can’t be sure.
A dogleg jack has a smaller and a larger end and the blades (two most of the time) arise from the smaller end of the knife (always! :x ). The frame has a slight 'crook' in it; it is not straight like what is often called an 'equal-end' knife. Hence, 'dog leg' after the expression "Crooked as a Dog's Hind Leg (speaking of lawyers and politicians, often). Aside from the nearly ubiquitous longer bolster, I will leave the definition of a barlow to someone else. The barlow pattern is a fertile field; you should get a good handle on it after the first six or seven thousand of them.
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Here is a dogleg jack.
doggie001.jpg
BarlowSki

Post by BarlowSki »

Thanks very much.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

A Barlow is a jack knife having a very long bolster on one end and no cap bolster on the other.

It’s that simple. ::tu:: And show is some pictures of your collection. There are several threads here about Barlows that would be a great place to post yours. https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kn ... =2&t=59813 Welcome to AAPK.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
eveled

Post by eveled »

Just my opinion. A Barlow has the long bolster on one end and a larger bare end. both sides are straight.

The classic 2 blade has a small pen blade and a clip master. The master can vary.

Deviate too far from these parameters and it stops being a Barlow. Good luck with your collection.
zippo123

Post by zippo123 »

Scout type knives,

USA and Foreign..

Why,
Retro old school…old timey …low tech,,,,.pocket knife..pattern..
of days gone by…..some were great…some were junk….
and its a complete opposite of collecting high tech Spyderco, Benchmade and Cold Steel knifes of today ……and all that fancy do da steel worship,,,vg10, 590v, cmp20cv, s35vn, M390 , s30 v, n680…my steel is better than yours stuff..enough already! Been there done that crazy modern knife scene.

And I collect China Rough Ryder Reserve line…..$50 bucks a pop,,..not $250 and up …..ha just to counter the
Investment Banker/ Stock Broker / Hedge fund people collecting Great Eastern Cultery for their portfolios, ha.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
toomanyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by toomanyknives »

USA, German, Sheffield. Mostly older, but some new Case...These type of things..I collect these, because they remind me of my youth, and to preserve them for the future collectors..
IMG_0003.JPG
IMG_0005.JPG
zippo123

Post by zippo123 »

toomanyknives wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:19 am USA, German, Sheffield. Mostly older, but some new Case...These type of things..I collect these, because they remind me of my youth, and to preserve them for the future collectors..IMG_0003.JPGIMG_0005.JPG
very very nice collection.
toomanyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by toomanyknives »

zippo123 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:24 am
toomanyknives wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:19 am USA, German, Sheffield. Mostly older, but some new Case...These type of things..I collect these, because they remind me of my youth, and to preserve them for the future collectors..IMG_0003.JPGIMG_0005.JPG
Thanks Zippo! This is just a small sample. I'm addicted!! LOL!
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Beautiful group, love seeing a bunch like that. Says a lot about a person. And enjoyable to peruse.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

zippo123 wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:00 pm All that fancy do da steel worship...
That's one reason I'm glad I didn't get the Spyderco plane up to V1 speed. For those who like the fancy exotic steels, that's cool; enjoy them. I, in the other hand, realized that if I'm going to use a knife, I want proven materials. Paying that kind of money for something made from unproven material, only to beat the dickens out of it, is folly in my book.
toomanyknives wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:19 am USA, German, Sheffield. Mostly older, but some new Case...
Nice collection...and man alive, those Schrades! The one with the L.L. Bean shield looks like a 34OT. If so, there's another for me to hunt down!
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
Steamboat Willie
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Steamboat Willie »

Indeed!
BeaverTail_Hunter

Post by BeaverTail_Hunter »

For a long time, I was a heavy collector of Chris Reeve Knives. I still have a number of CRKs that I enjoy and carry often but I no longer "chase" them like I used to. Not long ago, I started learning more about traditional knives and because instantly intrigued by the rich history and wide variety of blades and covers.

During my exploration into "traditionals," I came across a GEC with a Beaver Shield....shortly thereafter, I bought another with a beaver shield. Before long, I realized that this niche in the Traditional world was scratching my "collector" itch and it was off to the races.

So, I still buy the occasional CRK or other knife, but my main collectable knife is the GEC Beaver Tail / Shield.

ps Got any you want to sell? :D
Always interested in buying: GEC Beaver Tails (any pattern, any year)
Feel free to message me if you would like to discuss.
toomanyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by toomanyknives »

Ivoryman wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:03 pm

Beautiful group, love seeing a bunch like that. Says a lot about a person. And enjoyable to peruse.
Thanks IMan! I think it says that I love me some pocket knives! :D
toomanyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by toomanyknives »

Dan In MI wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:03 pm
zippo123 wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:00 pm All that fancy do da steel worship...
That's one reason I'm glad I didn't get the Spyderco plane up to V1 speed. For those who like the fancy exotic steels, that's cool; enjoy them. I, in the other hand, realized that if I'm going to use a knife, I want proven materials. Paying that kind of money for something made from unproven material, only to beat the dickens out of it, is folly in my book.
toomanyknives wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:19 am USA, German, Sheffield. Mostly older, but some new Case...
Nice collection...and man alive, those Schrades! The one with the L.L. Bean shield looks like a 34OT. If so, there's another for me to hunt down!
Yes sir, Dan. It is a 34OT.. I stumbled on that one at a big flea market in Atlanta. It was brought down by a dealer from Michigan. That one traveled to get to me! :D
toomanyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by toomanyknives »

Steamboat Willie wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:11 am
Indeed!
Thanks Willie! :D
carpx

Post by carpx »

I always demand my EDC be shaving sharp. I was asked by a friend to sharpen his knife, and as soon as I saw how hard his Gerber stockman was, I had to have a Gerber. My first was a "Silver Knight 2 blade I bought at an Alco store in Blytheville Ar. It was everything I hoped it would be. Since then I have compiled a pretty good number of the "Silver Knight" series, and have begun to add Sportsmen, and the PK series.
Attachments
IMG_0559.JPG
IMG_0831.JPG
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Miller Bro's wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:55 pm WHAT KIND OF KNIVES DO YOU COLLECT ?

Just about every kind that is old.

WHY?

It's an addiction/sickness.
Ain't it the truth mate!
::nod:: ... :roll: ... ::facepalm::
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

My collecting is focused on vintage pen/gents knives (primarily European), anything Queen cutlery, and books/memorabilia.

I accumulate anything that catches my fancy (primarily for edc), & in the $ range for the month.

That's how i justify the addiction; by splitting my foggy computer into different file cabinets... :mrgreen:
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

WillyCamaro wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:55 am My collecting is focused on vintage pen/gents knives (primarily European), anything Queen cutlery, and books/memorabilia.

I accumulate anything that catches my fancy (primarily for edc), & in the $ range for the month.

That's how i justify the addiction; by splitting my foggy computer into different file cabinets... :mrgreen:
Sometimes I wish I was disciplined and focused enough to collect a certain brand or pattern. I do have my favorites that I look for (Camillus 72, Loomfixers, CASE 6375, etc…) but alas I can’t stay that focused. What ever grabs my attention at the moment that I have the funds for. It’s a sickness I tell ya.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Colonel26 wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:39 pm
WillyCamaro wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:55 am My collecting is focused on vintage pen/gents knives (primarily European), anything Queen cutlery, and books/memorabilia.

Sometimes I wish I was disciplined and focused enough to collect a certain brand or pattern. I do have my favorites that I look for (Camillus 72, Loomfixers, CASE 6375, etc…) but alas I can’t stay that focused. What ever grabs my attention at the moment that I have the funds for. It’s a sickness I tell ya.
Hey brother, a'least you have the guts to admit yer sick...
Me, it's excuses excuses excuses.
:mrgreen:
Winston Churchill

Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

Colonel26 wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:39 pm Sometimes I wish I was disciplined and focused enough to collect a certain brand or pattern.
I have forced myself to be that disciplined. Used to be I'd buy a knife simply because it looked cool. But the huge amount of knives out there, plus my lack of Daddy Warbucks' huge pile of money, got me to focus on a few brands and patterns. Not to say I won't deviate from that focus at all, but I won't actively seek out knives I'm not focused on.
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

Colonel26 wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:39 pm

Not me! I've got this under control. I can quit this anytime I want! Any time at all.
Maybe after buying one more...
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand

Return to “General Knife Discussion”