What the?!!

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
cody6268

What the?!!

Post by cody6268 »

Apparently, Blackfire is an offshoot of Klein Tools; mostly focusing on flashlights and outdoor products; supposedly founded by some of their employees. From the looks of things, I bet you it was founded by their marketing department. They mostly make flashlights, but have a range of knives and multitools as well; for the most part, just rebranded Klein items; usually the lowest-end offerings. But, their "Heavy Duty Multitool" I personally feel is one of the best on the market; and would've been better off marketed as Klein.

There are two offerings that strike me as odd. These are specialty tools made for specific jobs in HVAC, construction, and electrical work, slightly modified and rebranded as outdoor tools. For the most part, they seem VERY poorly suited to outdoor use. So, marketing run amok?

They say a "team with extensive outdoors experience".

https://www.blackfire.com/about

But some of the offerings tell a different story.

How about this folding saw?
bbm1737.jpg
It's just a drywall saw with the tip slightly changed, and maybe a slight angle to the teeth. They didn't even both to change the model number much; the Klein being 31737, and the Blackfire 1737. And to tell the truth, I think the "drywall saw" would be better on wood. I've owned several cheap saws with coated blades, and they were awful. Swiss Army Knives have straight teeth, and are great on wood.
31737.jpg

This makes even less sense.

Called an outdoor knife,
bbm6101_beauty_r.jpg

But it's actually a duct knife. Note how the Blackfire still retains the "WEAR SAFETY GLASSES" and "DON"T USE ON LIVE CIRCUITS" warnings. To me, a duct knife is a HORRIBLE choice for the outdoors.

dk06.jpg
Only difference is that the Klein has just a sheath; while the Blackfire has a pocket for an included striker and firesteel.
bbm6101_holster_open_beauty_r.jpg

I see no reason in buying any of these. Klein's own brand stuff has a better warranty. When it comes to Klein's knives, it's the Japanese ones followed by the USA (Utica) and England-made (Ibberson of Sheffield) knives. These account to SEVERAL hawkbills (most USA, one England), several small coping knives (all USA, though they did make them in Japan for a short time), electrician's knives (in two and three blade), and a small Japan-made lockback. All of these are patterns suited well to anything I do-- farm work, EDC, the outdoors, and electrical work. And they're just basic Klein items sold through most hardware stores, industrial supply, electrical supply houses, and "home improvement retailers". I can buy 2-3 different folders at my electrical supply house, the hawkbills found at ANY Klein Tools retailer who sells a lot of stuff to the coal mining industry, and I think my local hardware store may carry one or two.

Plus, their tools are pretty good. I can't just walk in a store and buy Knipex (so far, I've only seen their Cobolt compact bolt cutters; and they're $100!); but Klein I can. I'm not in any big city (actually I'm quite rural), but I have seven dealers within ten miles; thanks mostly to the coal industry. I'm building my electrical toolkit out with a mixture of Klein and Knipex.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: What the?!!

Post by 1967redrider »

Speaking of Klein Tools, I've been meaning to post a picture of this. Stashed in one of our hunting huts by one of the guys.
Attachments
IMG_20210320_165247018.jpg
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Dan In MI

Re: What the?!!

Post by Dan In MI »

cody6268 wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:57 am To me, a duct knife is a HORRIBLE choice for the outdoors.
Agreed. The only outdoors excursions I'd take a duct knife on would be going from the house to the truck, from the truck to the job site, back to the truck, and back to the house. For a camping trip or a serious trek into the bush, I'd bring my Morakniv Garberg.
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget

Return to “General Knife Discussion”