Okay, what am I missing here?

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
Gone2Three
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Okay, what am I missing here?

Post by Gone2Three »

:shock:

Would someone please tell me why ?
Attachments
Screenshot_20210420-114511_Chrome.jpg
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Okay, what am I missing here?

Post by Mumbleypeg »

The answer is simple. Stupidity.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Exactly what Ken said.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
Gone2Three
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Gone2Three »

I guess that this Rob guy who it's being held for has more money than common sense ::td::
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

Brings to mind a phrase attributed P.T. Barnum.
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

Dan In MI wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:53 pm Brings to mind a phrase attributed P.T. Barnum.
::nod:: Exactly!!
Sometimes I Sit and Think ::hmm:: .... Other times I just Sit
I May Grow Older, But I refuse to Grow Up!!
I'll sharpen it for you, but I don't give out band-aids!!

Smitty
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

You could very well be right, stupidity could be the answer. But I have always wondered about things like this being some form of money laundering. The buyer has multiple accounts, and buys an item with one account while selling it with another account to legitimize I'll gotten gains. Of course this would be one of many transactions going on simultaneously to move a larger sum of money from one pocket to the other. That is my theory and I am sticking to it. lol
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
Froe

Post by Froe »

Here’s another one trolling for a sucker on eBay. Sorry I’m having issues cutting and pasting on this iPad. Checkout this item number. 333964304407
Froe
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

OLDE CUTLER wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:41 pm I have always wondered about things like this being some form of money laundering. The buyer has multiple accounts, and buys an item with one account while selling it with another account to legitimize I'll gotten gains.
Could be, or maybe the seller is sitting on a huge stock of them and had his buddy buy one in an attempt to artificially manipulate the value. I still think the suckered theory is most likely, though.
Froe wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:43 pm Checkout this item number. 333964304407
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Carl-Schlieper ... 3964304407
That should be the one. I had to make sure my thumb stayed well clear of the buy it now button when copying the URL.
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Gone2Three
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Gone2Three »

Well, you would think that the stamping of China on the blade would raise a red flag... ::paranoid:: so to speak, of course no pun intended here ::woot::
Attachments
il_794xN.2791614403_54lc.jpg
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

My first theory is that this is a placeholder price, as it's "ON HOLD"

But in my opinion, you're only missing a lack of common sense and money without brains. The stimulus checks were unneeded and many people just wasted them on junk they did not need--it's part of what's driving the collectibles market nuts. That's part of the reason this ended up at $468 for a RR. With mine, I paid off a new computer that fully suited my needs (after having to put up with a refurbished pile of junk for a year and a half), bought a new pair of boots (I didn't have any hiking boots that fit), some clothes that actually fit me, and will start an IT course over the summer. Yeah, I bought some shiny stuff as well, but that was less than $200 worth. I still have enough to cover other expenses as they come up.

I know it's been a while since I last saw these in an SMKW catalog, but they were $20. I understand some people like collecting Rough Riders, and will pay more than MSRP, but I won't. They're my "So I don't have to use my good Case, Schrade, Camillus, Queen or Buck" knives; but some patterns, like the Work Knife (linerlock Sodbuster) get EDC'd regularly.

Secondly, this is about the dumbest intended design of a knife ever made. It's a hawkbill, and I like the pattern, but it was advertised as also being a hoofpick. One WILL damage a horse's hoof, especially the sensitive frog with it. The current Trapper-based equestrian's knife Case and RR make is better. I always carried a dedicated pick (fixed and folding), a cheap tack store horseman's knife, or a really nice one a local blacksmith gave me made from a horseshoe.It's a great rope, baler twine, and feed sack knife (which is why I have several USA Kleins), but that's it.
just bob

Post by just bob »

OLDE CUTLER wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:41 pm You could very well be right, stupidity could be the answer. But I have always wondered about things like this being some form of money laundering. The buyer has multiple accounts, and buys an item with one account while selling it with another account to legitimize I'll gotten gains. Of course this would be one of many transactions going on simultaneously to move a larger sum of money from one pocket to the other. That is my theory and I am sticking to it. lol
I agree. There are a lot of shenanigan's on Ebay that defy logic. Not all of them involve stupidity, though many do. A while back a group of younger people got together and decided to run ebay auctions items to artificially high levels and then just not pay for the item. I was a victim of this. I sold a $50 knife for $250, the problem was I never got paid for it. Apparently 2 knuckleheads entered into a pseudo bidding war with each other to run the knife to a ridiculous price. My only option was to relist the knife. I contacted Ebay and they told me they were well aware of the prank and were working hard to eliminate the participants. They offered me an apology and free relisting fees. When the knife resold it brought it brought about the expected price. In a way it cost me $200, but it was money I never had in my account so it wasn't actually lost. There are constantly new games being played with Ebay items. The final selling price as shown on Ebay is not always indicative of the actual transaction.
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Froe wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:43 pm Here’s another one trolling for a sucker on eBay. Sorry I’m having issues cutting and pasting on this iPad. Checkout this item number. 333964304407
Froe
But, but, he says it's rare. ::uc:: :lol: :lol:
Attachments
s-l16002.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
s-l16001 (1).jpg
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

cody6268 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:38 am I understand some people like collecting Rough Riders, and will pay more than MSRP, but I won't.
Supply and demand are always contributing factors in the secondary market. Even so, I couldn't see supply and demand for this knife being so inversely proportional that more than one person is willing to pay 20 times the original sale price.

Cody made many good points in that post. Lots of my stimulus money went to household expenses. (I did purchase more than a few knives with the tax return, though...time to wind that down.)
jerryd6818 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:50 pm But, but, he says it's rare.
"Rare," like "mint," is a badly abused term that is too often used to snare unsuspecting buyers. If I've ever used either term in a for-sale listing, I hope someone will smack me upside the head.
USN 2000-2006
Gone2Three
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Gone2Three »

Guess Ron didn't want to splurge on the RR ::undecided::

I kinda like the unicorn icon indicating it's a rare find :roll:
Attachments
Screenshot_20210421-100203_Chrome.jpg
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Dan In MI wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:31 pm
cody6268 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:38 am "Rare," like "mint," is a badly abused term that is too often used to snare unsuspecting buyers. If I've ever used either term in a for-sale listing, I hope someone will smack me upside the head.
"Rare" is a term I use when ordering a steak. "Mint" is what I like to eat after consuming my "Rare" steak. "Vintage" is a particular year wine was bottled.
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!

Return to “General Knife Discussion”