Anyone collect knives from Sweden/Norway/Denmark & Finland?

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Anyone collect knives from Sweden/Norway/Denmark & Finland?

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

I was going through some of my knives to clean and oil them and I realized I had more than I thought from Sweden/Norway/Denmark & Finland... ::hmm:: So maybe this means I "collect" them... ::suspense:: Just curious if anyone else out there has "a few" laying around or even one or two and what they thought about them.
Attachments
DSCF9886.JPG
DSCF9889.JPG
DSCF9890.JPG
DSCF9891.JPG
DSCF9893.JPG
DSCF9892.JPG
DSCF9896.JPG
DSCF9897.JPG
DSCF9898.JPG
DSCF9899.JPG
Please visit my AAPK store: https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... er_id=2383

They say, “Hard work never hurt anyone”, but I'm still not willing to risk it.
knife7knut

Re: Anyone collect knives from Sweden/Norway/Denmark & Finland?

Post by knife7knut »

I think I did a post on the foreign knives forum awhile back;I'll have to check.
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
Boji
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Boji »

I have several of the Finland Puukko knives. I'll get a picture or two tomorrow
Protected by a large LOUD dog, and Smith & Wesson...
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

I have several and some more on the way unless the USPS has managed to lose them completely. ::dang::
I have a few plastic handled Moras, but like the wooden handles better. But I must say he cheap Moras are about the best cheep fixed blade on the market AND they are not made in China!!

I will see if I can find a couple pics.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

I collect advertising metal-handle EKA gentleman's knives, and use the heck out of Morakniv.
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

I have a few knives from Scandinavia and Finland, but major makers of that type are also active in Russia and Bulgaria. Everyone should have a little handful of Moras. No excuses.
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

orvet wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:34 am I have several and some more on the way unless the USPS has managed to lose them completely. ::dang::
I have a few plastic handled Moras, but like the wooden handles better. But I must say he cheap Moras are about the best cheep fixed blade on the market AND they are not made in China!!

I will see if I can find a couple pics.
I mean, where else are you gonna find a brand-new, non-Chinese made fixed blade WITH SHEATH that retails for $10 or less? In other words, what ain't a blade blank. Even Green Rivers are $15-20 at the cheapest these days, and the handle-less blanks aren't much cheaper.

Boker and BudK have tried to copy the Morakniv. I've noticed two things--they're more expensive, Chinese-made, and use crappier steel.
CluelessNick
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by CluelessNick »

I don't really consider it a collection but I've got Mora knives scattered everywhere. In our backpacks, both vehicles, my workshop and several in the kitchen. Probably use them more than any other knife I own. Great knives that I'm not worried about messing up. Sorry no photos.
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

CluelessNick wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:15 pm I don't really consider it a collection but I've got Mora knives scattered everywhere. In our backpacks, both vehicles, my workshop and several in the kitchen. Probably use them more than any other knife I own. Great knives that I'm not worried about messing up. Sorry no photos.
Yep; they are like screwdrivers. Tools for everywhere.
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

This one is a little more uncommon. Almost certainly from the Toten area of Norway, of uncertain age. 7 3/4 inches overall, with blade about 3 7/16 inches. Blade is of non-stainless steel, rhomboid cross-section, slender, very very slightly dipped toward edge or clipped in a gradual manner. No markings. Slight micro-pitting and grey patina, with some scratching. No blade loss of consequence. Nickel silver ferrule-type bolster is tapered into the handle section and does not have a ‘guard’ configuration. Barrel type handle is curly birch, and is surmounted with a reverse tapered pommel in nickel silver which matches the ferrule bolster. It has some simple stippled decorations. A knob of (probably) nickel silver protrudes from this pommel, and probably secures the hidden tang of the knife in some manner, and may have participated in some way to secure the knife handle to the sheath dangler although this is unclear at this point. The sheath is complex, with nickel silver furniture formed, hammered, stippled and soldered at various points. All this metal encases more curly birch which matches the knife handle. All of the wood in the handle and sheath appears to have a glossy varnish finish. There is a leather dangler affixed to the sheath by a soldered ring system. The general condition of the knife is very high excellent, with very little use evident. There is one dent in part of the nickel silver on the sheath.
pu1.jpg
pu2.jpg
pu3.jpg
pu4.jpg
pu5.jpg
pu6.jpg
pu7.jpg
pu8.jpg
pu9.jpg
pu10.jpg
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

WoW 🤩 Those are some beauties Cal !!!
John ✌️
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

007.JPG
009.JPG
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Garry!!! AWESOME 👏!!!
John ✌️

knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

group shot
Attachments
NordicKnives 002.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
beresman
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by beresman »

I don't collect specifically from the Nordic countries, but I have been putting together a collection of folders from various countries around the world, and have these three:

a Marttiini linerlock from Finland
a C.O. Ryd from Eskiltuna
a Villmarks from Norway

I have yet to find a folder actually made in Denmark.
knife7knut wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:51 am I think I did a post on the foreign knives forum awhile back;I'll have to check.
I must be extra dense or non-observant; a foreign knives forum? How did I miss that before? I have days of reading to catch up on now!
Attachments
IMG_0256.JPG
IMG_0254.JPG
IMG_0255.JPG
IMG_0258.JPG
Brent
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Each one is a fine looking knife.
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

knife7knut wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:39 pmgroup shot
👍😎👍 I see some beauties in there Ray!!
John ✌️

KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

Here's a couple I was fortunate enough to come across and grab. I've shown them before, but they're hidden in some thread here from days gone by.

First one: A Finnish Ilsakki Jarvenpaa Oy ceremonial 2 knife set called “The HARMA Knife”. Decorative brass pommels and finger guards. Mirror polished blades. Scabbard is made of leather and brass, w/the leather lacquered.

Second one: Puukko Martiini knife with a very nice leather sheath & Walnut handle.
Attachments
DSCF1922.jpeg
DSCF1928.jpeg
MARTINNI SCOUT KNIFE .jpeg
MARTTINNI FINLAND SCOUT KNIFE.jpeg
MARTTINNI SCOUT KNIFE 2.jpeg
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

I assume that my prior post giving the URL for the extensive subforum for these knives did not go through.
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

tongueriver wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:01 pm I assume that my prior post giving the URL for the extensive subforum for these knives did not go through.
Yep...it's there. It's a "puukko" extensive thread. ::tu::
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

It came through fine. Although I had posted on it in the past it induced me to go back and review the entire thread.
CluelessNick
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by CluelessNick »

tongueriver wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:45 pm This one is a little more uncommon. Almost certainly from the Toten area of Norway, of uncertain age. 7 3/4 inches overall, with blade about 3 7/16 inches. Blade is of non-stainless steel, rhomboid cross-section, slender, very very slightly dipped toward edge or clipped in a gradual manner. No markings. Slight micro-pitting and grey patina, with some scratching. No blade loss of consequence. Nickel silver ferrule-type bolster is tapered into the handle section and does not have a ‘guard’ configuration. Barrel type handle is curly birch, and is surmounted with a reverse tapered pommel in nickel silver which matches the ferrule bolster. It has some simple stippled decorations. A knob of (probably) nickel silver protrudes from this pommel, and probably secures the hidden tang of the knife in some manner, and may have participated in some way to secure the knife handle to the sheath dangler although this is unclear at this point. The sheath is complex, with nickel silver furniture formed, hammered, stippled and soldered at various points. All this metal encases more curly birch which matches the knife handle. All of the wood in the handle and sheath appears to have a glossy varnish finish. There is a leather dangler affixed to the sheath by a soldered ring system. The general condition of the knife is very high excellent, with very little use evident. There is one dent in part of the nickel silver on the sheath.
pu1.jpgpu2.jpgpu3.jpgpu4.jpgpu5.jpgpu6.jpgpu7.jpgpu8.jpgpu9.jpgpu10.jpg
Yeah, that's a little nicer than my Mora knife. In fact it is downright beautiful !
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Yesir mates.
Collector, & user here!

Mighty fine collections you all have, mighty fine.
I'm super glad that I'm not the only guy in North America, that has an affinity for the European gent's knives. It warms this sic heart, that fellow collectors are showing them a little love, and not all just from this one foggy dude .
::tu:: ::super_happy:: ::tu::
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

I am sure someone else has to have one of these great fishing knives from Finland.... ::hmm::
Attachments
DSCF9607.JPG
DSCF9608.JPG
DSCF9614.JPG
Please visit my AAPK store: https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... er_id=2383

They say, “Hard work never hurt anyone”, but I'm still not willing to risk it.

Return to “General Knife Discussion”