Old pocket knife with a nail file and a pencil

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
gabatgh

Re: Old pocket knife with a nail file and a pencil

Post by gabatgh »

Thanks for the continued help. I want to put this in our case in an antique mall. Any thoughts on a value?
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

gabatgh wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:14 am Thanks for the continued help. I want to put this in our case in an antique mall. Any thoughts on a value?
I'm not really well versed in evaluating items.If you had a store on this site you would probably generate more interest as there would be more knife people looking at it.There are several people on this site who collect vintage knives such as this.
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
gabatgh

Post by gabatgh »

Alas, I'm an antique dealer and this didn't even come to me from that path. It was handed down from within the family and we have no (professional) knowledge of knives. We happen to be knife fans and can appreciate knives. My wife and I, back in the early 1990's, used to go to knife trade shows in the NYC area, where we bought a Kelgin miniature knife (apparently one of the first), and a Victor McCrackin railroad spike knife. We watch Forged in Fire and our eleven year old, she's loves it. I'm hoping to sign her up for a local blacksmithing class this summer.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

It’s such an unusual item it will likely be difficult to find comparable items from which you might derive a value. Hard to tell from the pictures what the handles are made from. That could be a big difference in value. If celluloid many buyers will not pay much due to its peculiar unstable nature - the investment could go “poof” at any time. If ivory (they don’t look like ivory to me) the value could be higher but the market limited due to the government regulation of ivory items.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
gabatgh

Post by gabatgh »

If it is ivory that prohibits it from being sold at any quality antique mall. As I'm by Adamstown, PA, Antiques Capital USA, that means all of them...
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

gabatgh wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:10 pm Alas, I'm an antique dealer and this didn't even come to me from that path. It was handed down from within the family and we have no (professional) knowledge of knives. We happen to be knife fans and can appreciate knives. My wife and I, back in the early 1990's, used to go to knife trade shows in the NYC area, where we bought a Kelgin miniature knife (apparently one of the first), and a Victor McCrackin railroad spike knife. We watch Forged in Fire and our eleven year old, she's loves it. I'm hoping to sign her up for a local blacksmithing class this summer.
just out of curiosity is the Kelgin a balisong(butterfly)knife? I have a Kelgin balisong and it is a beautiful little knife;much smaller than a conventional model. I hate to say this but those handles appear to be of "pachyderm incisor" aka ivory. If you decide to sell it on here and come up with a price on it,let me know as I might be interested in it. I'm sure there are several others here that would be as well.
EDIT: Here is a picture of the Kelgin.The name is derived from the maker's name(Ken Largin).
Attachments
KelginCustomBalisong.JPG
gabatgh

Post by gabatgh »

Not even close to that butterfly! This whole conversation is really ironic. You see, when we moved in 2003 we lost the knife. About two weeks ago I was knocking around the garage and I found the papers that came with the knife, but no knife. Three days ago, my wife found the knife in the back of her desk. The box it's in is the original box that came with it.
20210610_220906.jpg
20210610_220959.jpg
20210610_220833.jpg
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

gabatgh wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:16 am Not even close to that butterfly! This whole conversation is really ironic. You see, when we moved in 2003 we lost the knife. About two weeks ago I was knocking around the garage and I found the papers that came with the knife, but no knife. Three days ago, my wife found the knife in the back of her desk. The box it's in is the original box that came with it.
20210610_220906.jpg20210610_220959.jpg20210610_220833.jpg
Great story! Glad you finally found it;that is definitely a keeper! ::tu:: ::tu::

Return to “General Knife Discussion”