Old pocket knife with a nail file and a pencil

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
gabatgh

Old pocket knife with a nail file and a pencil

Post by gabatgh »

Hey folks, I've come across this little knife. The blades are so small that the maker's name has been cut off so I'm not certain whose it is, though I'm guessing it's Greer. Has anyone seen anything like this, or know anything about it? Thanks so much!
20210212_210820.jpg
20210212_210846.jpg
20210212_210716.jpg
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Re: Old pocket knife with a nail file and a pencil

Post by djknife13 »

Goins list's a Greer and Laing Wheeling from West Virginia circa 1914. If it says Green, there are about 10 possibilities. Good luck with your investigation. ____Dave
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Very cool old combination knife, what do you think the frame is made out of (bone or ivory)? ::tu::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
woodwalker

Post by woodwalker »

Neat little knife!! :D
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Can't help, but it's a cool little knife.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Handle could be ivory or a synthetic, but likely not bone. I have a few old knives with handles that i cannot be sure if they are ivory or a plastic of some sort, i.e. similar to this knife.
kj
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

The lettering type(font is the name usually used now)looks to be from the mid 1800's. I think the handle is carved ivory.I'm curious as to what the slide button's function is;possibly to open the blades.It doesn't look like it has anything to do with the pencil as they are usually twisted to extend the lead.I have an Unwin & Rogers mechanical pencil knife from that era and the pencil looks identical except mine folds.
Attachments
Unwin&RogersMarkSide.JPG
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
Ridgegrass
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ridgegrass »

Levine lists a Theo Green (Domar Cutlery) in Oklahoma City and a Green Duck Co, in Chicago c. 1916-1920's. ??? Neat piece, looks about that vintage.
::tu:: J.O'.
gabatgh

Post by gabatgh »

[quote=knife7knut post_id=894454 time=1613241323 user_id=3571]
I'm curious as to what the slide button's function is[/quote]

Ooh, an easy question 🤪 The slide is for the thing on the with the cylinder, which I am assuming is for pencil lead. I'd like to mention that the slide is ridiculously hard to actually slide, and I'm reluctant to add any lubricant without knowing which is the correct product to use.
Attachments
20210213_221828.jpg
TazmanTom18

Post by TazmanTom18 »

Old wives tale ??? place the knife under a piece of plate glass (glass on display case should be plate). We did it at shows by opening the case and placing the unknown handle material against it from underneath.. If it's ivory you will be able to see black spots appearing on handle material. Supposedly the carbon in the glass creates this optical illusion. FOR WHAT IT'S WORTH, try it, seems to work. Try known ivory and others to compare. Tom
gabatgh

Post by gabatgh »

knife7knut wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:35 pm The lettering type(font is the name usually used now)looks to be from the mid 1800's. I think the handle is carved ivory.I'm curious as to what the slide button's function is;possibly to open the blades.It doesn't look like it has anything to do with the pencil as they are usually twisted to extend the lead.I have an Unwin & Rogers mechanical pencil knife from that era and the pencil looks identical except mine folds.
Sorry it's taken so long for me to get back to this. It occurred to me some time ago to roll up a small piece of paper and insert it into the end tube. When I did that and spun the paper, I was rewarded with pencil marks on the paper, so that removes any doubt of what that part is for.
20210608_233848.jpg
I also posted a four second animated gif of the pencil being ...opened? ejected? I'm not sure what the proper term would be
https://photos.app.goo.gl/onSX18ZyWRAbM5Xa9

Edit: This is very similar in style to those seen in the pics floating around the web of the reprint of the 1914 Greer & Laing Cutlery Catalog. I just cannot find any actual folding pocket knife of theirs to compare it to for any kind of valuation.
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Kool knife!! 👍😎👍
John ✌️
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

gabatgh wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:50 am
knife7knut wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:35 pm The lettering type(font is the name usually used now)looks to be from the mid 1800's. I think the handle is carved ivory.I'm curious as to what the slide button's function is;possibly to open the blades.It doesn't look like it has anything to do with the pencil as they are usually twisted to extend the lead.I have an Unwin & Rogers mechanical pencil knife from that era and the pencil looks identical except mine folds.
Sorry it's taken so long for me to get back to this. It occurred to me some time ago to roll up a small piece of paper and insert it into the end tube. When I did that and spun the paper, I was rewarded with pencil marks on the paper, so that removes any doubt of what that part is for.20210608_233848.jpg

I also posted a four second animated gif of the pencil being ...opened? ejected? I'm not sure what the proper term would be
https://photos.app.goo.gl/onSX18ZyWRAbM5Xa9

Edit: This is very similar in style to those seen in the pics floating around the web of the reprint of the 1914 Greer & Laing Cutlery Catalog. I just cannot find any actual folding pocket knife of theirs to compare it to for any kind of valuation.
Thank you for the follow up.Even though the slide button opens the pencil housing there must still be some way to advance the lead inside.This is usually accomplished on a mechanical pencil by twisting some part of the body. If you want to try putting lead into the barrel,it is probably either 1.8mm or 2mm in diameter. Not readily available in stores such as Staples buy still available on line.
As for the slide being hard to operate it may be that way on purpose so when the pencil is extended it doesn't have a tendency to slide back inside while using it.I would leave it as is.
gabatgh

Post by gabatgh »

Ever have one of those "DUH" moments? I knew it was a mechanical pencil, and that's what I've been using since the 1980's, I personally hate 'regular' pencils. The barrel that ejects out has a knurled ring on it. Never once, in all the years that I've owned this thing, did it ever occur to me to TURN the stupid thing. There is *still* a piece of lead/graphite in it.
20210609_200031.jpg
As for it being hard to slide, that isn't the case any more. It moves easily, comfortable but firmly, now.
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

gabatgh wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:05 am Ever have one of those "DUH" moments? I knew it was a mechanical pencil, and that's what I've been using since the 1980's, I personally hate 'regular' pencils. The barrel that ejects out has a knurled ring on it. Never once, in all the years that I've owned this thing, did it ever occur to me to TURN the stupid thing. There is *still* a piece of lead/graphite in it.
20210609_200031.jpg

As for it being hard to slide, that isn't the case any more. It moves easily, comfortable but firmly, now.
Been there;done that;don't want the T-shirt! :mrgreen: I think it might be the 2mm size.If you can get the piece out far enough to measure it,a 2mm lead will measure just about 1/16th of an inch on a ruler. Those are available at most Staples stores under the Staedtler brand.They are used in drafting pencils.If it is the smaller(1.8 mm)size you might have to shop on line to find them.I use both sizes in my work.The 2mm I use in a drafting pencil to clean rust off knife blades. The 1.8mm I use in my vintage mechanical pencils for drawing.
gabatgh

Post by gabatgh »

Thanks for the continued help. I want to put this in our case in an antique mall. Any thoughts on a value?
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

gabatgh wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:14 am Thanks for the continued help. I want to put this in our case in an antique mall. Any thoughts on a value?
I'm not really well versed in evaluating items.If you had a store on this site you would probably generate more interest as there would be more knife people looking at it.There are several people on this site who collect vintage knives such as this.
gabatgh

Post by gabatgh »

Alas, I'm an antique dealer and this didn't even come to me from that path. It was handed down from within the family and we have no (professional) knowledge of knives. We happen to be knife fans and can appreciate knives. My wife and I, back in the early 1990's, used to go to knife trade shows in the NYC area, where we bought a Kelgin miniature knife (apparently one of the first), and a Victor McCrackin railroad spike knife. We watch Forged in Fire and our eleven year old, she's loves it. I'm hoping to sign her up for a local blacksmithing class this summer.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

It’s such an unusual item it will likely be difficult to find comparable items from which you might derive a value. Hard to tell from the pictures what the handles are made from. That could be a big difference in value. If celluloid many buyers will not pay much due to its peculiar unstable nature - the investment could go “poof” at any time. If ivory (they don’t look like ivory to me) the value could be higher but the market limited due to the government regulation of ivory items.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
gabatgh

Post by gabatgh »

If it is ivory that prohibits it from being sold at any quality antique mall. As I'm by Adamstown, PA, Antiques Capital USA, that means all of them...
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

gabatgh wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:10 pm Alas, I'm an antique dealer and this didn't even come to me from that path. It was handed down from within the family and we have no (professional) knowledge of knives. We happen to be knife fans and can appreciate knives. My wife and I, back in the early 1990's, used to go to knife trade shows in the NYC area, where we bought a Kelgin miniature knife (apparently one of the first), and a Victor McCrackin railroad spike knife. We watch Forged in Fire and our eleven year old, she's loves it. I'm hoping to sign her up for a local blacksmithing class this summer.
just out of curiosity is the Kelgin a balisong(butterfly)knife? I have a Kelgin balisong and it is a beautiful little knife;much smaller than a conventional model. I hate to say this but those handles appear to be of "pachyderm incisor" aka ivory. If you decide to sell it on here and come up with a price on it,let me know as I might be interested in it. I'm sure there are several others here that would be as well.
EDIT: Here is a picture of the Kelgin.The name is derived from the maker's name(Ken Largin).
Attachments
KelginCustomBalisong.JPG
gabatgh

Post by gabatgh »

Not even close to that butterfly! This whole conversation is really ironic. You see, when we moved in 2003 we lost the knife. About two weeks ago I was knocking around the garage and I found the papers that came with the knife, but no knife. Three days ago, my wife found the knife in the back of her desk. The box it's in is the original box that came with it.
20210610_220906.jpg
20210610_220959.jpg
20210610_220833.jpg
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

gabatgh wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:16 am Not even close to that butterfly! This whole conversation is really ironic. You see, when we moved in 2003 we lost the knife. About two weeks ago I was knocking around the garage and I found the papers that came with the knife, but no knife. Three days ago, my wife found the knife in the back of her desk. The box it's in is the original box that came with it.
20210610_220906.jpg20210610_220959.jpg20210610_220833.jpg
Great story! Glad you finally found it;that is definitely a keeper! ::tu:: ::tu::

Return to “General Knife Discussion”