Knives You're Contemplating Purchasing

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Knives You're Contemplating Purchasing

Post by QTCut5 »

Thank you, jerryd...now if I can just whittle my Gixen list down by a few more knives I might actually be able to keep my one and only New Year's Resolution: not to spend more than I can afford on knives I really want but don't really "need" for my collection.

Yes, some knives (Mini Trappers, Wharncliffes, Wharncliffe Mini Trappers, etc.) are absolutely necessary, while others...many others in fact, are simply knives that I would really like to have. Because I tend to straddle the line between "Collector" and "Accumulator" I'll be the first to admit that sometimes it's difficult to distinguish between the two groups. :? ::undecided::
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Knives I'm Contemplating Purchasing

Post by Madmarco »

Railsplitter wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:15 pm
Madmarco wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:05 pm Thanks for the link, I'll try it! ::handshake:: I'm really liking 2 LionSteel folders I spotted, but they're up there in price, so they'll be a future purchase. One of them, the Bestman, is quite similar to your Recoil, albeit without a gunstock frame. Sure strike me as solid knives! 8)
You're welcome, Mark.

Yep, I've got a couple of those myself but I favor the two blade variant.
Rick! I had to sign-up for an account, but as soon as I did I was able to use their Early Reserve system, thanks again. I put just a "Notify" status on an ebony swinguard cuz I thought they look really cool, but didn't want to commit to "Sure" status cuz I never know if I'll have the needed funds when they become available. The swinguards were the only one's that reservations weren't closed for, so hopefully I'll have a little time once they're available. Really like your Lions, specially the sheepsfoot blade, but I'm strictly a 1-blade guy, so I'll be going for a spear-point model. I'm also very impressed with the gunstock frame on your Recoil, but I've never been a fan of clip-points, so I'll need to wait to see if they make spear-points available on them. They all sure seem like nice, quality folders! 8)
8)
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

Mark, if you like the BestMan frame and a single Sheepsoot blade, they are available and this dealer ships to Canada.
https://www.dlttrading.com/lionsteel-be ... sheepsfoot

I don't particularly like the DLT exclusive because I like the Titanium bolsters on the other models but I thought I would point them out in case you haven't seen them. They are also a little more affordable.
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

QTCut5 wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:05 am Because I tend to straddle the line between "Collector" and "Accumulator" I'll be the first to admit that sometimes it's difficult to distinguish between the two groups. :? ::undecided::
I know the words to that song.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

I have these in my cart but keep resisting pulling the trigger. :mrgreen:
Attachments
Screenshot_20210117-082207.png
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
LDF Knives

Post by LDF Knives »

Papa Bones wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:44 pm
jerryd6818 wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:26 pm This thread is rated 'E' for everyone.
Question: Knives You're Contemplating Purchasing?

My Answer: The one with a blade. ::tu::
::rotflol::
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Awwww John. Don't change out the handles. They're orange. ::nod::
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

jerryd6818 wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:52 am
QTCut5 wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:05 am Because I tend to straddle the line between "Collector" and "Accumulator" I'll be the first to admit that sometimes it's difficult to distinguish between the two groups. :? ::undecided::
I know the words to that song.
And I've sung that song way too many times. ::facepalm::
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Railsplitter wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:25 am Mark, if you like the BestMan frame and a single Sheepsoot blade, they are available and this dealer ships to Canada.

I don't particularly like the DLT exclusive because I like the Titanium bolsters on the other models but I thought I would point them out in case you haven't seen them. They are also a little more affordable.
Thanks very much for the link Rick! I have an account with DLT, although I've yet to use it, and I hadn't seen any of the Lion's knives on the site yet, and there's a couple models I wasn't aware of, one of them being the Bestmans with the single-blade sheepsfoot. I like the DLT model, but I also really like the Titanium bolsters, so perhaps I'll get a bolstered model 1st, and then a sheepsfoot. All the prices at DLT are a bit less expensive than any I've seen so far, and one of the reasons I haven't ordered from them yet is, I'd never heard of the company, and actually thought they were a Chinese site, but now I see they're in the US I'll be more open to buying from them. Thx again! 8)
8)
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Madmarco wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:02 pm
Railsplitter wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:25 am Mark, if you like the BestMan frame and a single Sheepsoot blade, they are available and this dealer ships to Canada.

Thanks very much for the link Rick! I have an account with DLT, although I've yet to use it, and I hadn't seen any of the Lion's knives on the site yet, and there's a couple models I wasn't aware of, one of them being the Bestmans with the single-blade sheepsfoot. I like the DLT model, but I also really like the Titanium bolsters, so perhaps I'll get a bolstered model 1st, and then a sheepsfoot. All the prices at DLT are a bit less expensive than any I've seen so far, and one of the reasons I haven't ordered from them yet is, I'd never heard of the company, and actually thought they were a Chinese site, but now I see they're in the US I'll be more open to buying from them. Thx again! 8)
Mate, DLT is a fantastic company to deal with. They have always looked after me, and as an international buyer, they make things go seamlessly. ::nod::
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

The only specific knife I’m contemplating is a Buck 119.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

cudgee wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:40 pm
Madmarco wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:02 pm

Mate, DLT is a fantastic company to deal with. They have always looked after me, and as an international buyer, they make things go seamlessly. ::nod::
Thanks for that endorsement cudgee! ::handshake:: As soo as I saw the company was a US company, I felt confident doing business with them, and now what you say confirms my belief. Thx again! 8)
8)
Montanaman

Post by Montanaman »

Thinking about this one, probably will end up getting it. Nice mammoth and san-mai blade with Aogami Super Blue core, forged by Shoshui Takeda.

About Super Blue:

Aogami Super is coveted by knife enthusiasts for kitchen knives, folders, hunters etc. When heat treated properly it is a fantastic knife steel. Made up of Carbon: 1.40 – 1.50%, Tungsten: 2.00 – 2.50%, Vanadium: .30 - .50%, Chromium: .30 - .50%, Molybdenum: .30 - .50%, Manganese: .20 - .30%, Phosphorus: .025%, Sulfur: .004%, Silicon: .10 - .20% This is one of the most popular high carbon steel alloys amongst Japanese knife makers. It is known for the very high edge retention and fine edge it is capable of. Wear resistance is medium so it is very easy to sharpen. It is very reactive so wiping down and drying should be done after every use. Moritaka and Takeda are two of the most well-known makers using this steel
mammothsanmai.jpg
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

First of all, knives I'm looking at here that aren't really seen elsewhere; but we have individuals importing them and making them available at really good prices. All are carbon steel as well.

Freidrich Herder Knives. There has been a guy in HI selling them on Amazon for a couple of years. I've stopped buying from there entirely, and I don't think the guy has his own website. The guy is also on eBay, but I've scaled back buying from there too. I'm still using PayPal, but only because at present, I can't get to the post office to do a money order. But, they're on the way out too. However, the guy now has competition. A member here is now importing them and for better prices and with certain models the guy in HI is not selling. The problem is, I can't decide what. Thinking one of their clasp/Sodbuster-type folders (especially in lockback form), but they also make some rope knives.

Lockback Clasp Knife/Sodbuster. Big, and definitely sturdy. But, too big for EDC, and for work, I'd have to wear a belt sheath.
1608237064_896_1.jpg
3 1/2" Clasp Knife with 3" blade. That's just about right for EDC and work.
1610986172_896_1.jpg

4 1/2 Clasp Knife with Ace of Spades shield. Looks mostly. It seems to be a higher fit and finish than the lockback.
1608254224_896_1.jpg

Rope Knife. I like sheepsfoot blades. This (currently out of stock) was sold as a second for $20. If he gets another one in, I'm thinking this is the one I'll get. 4" closed, 3 1/4" blade.

1610985127_896_1.jpg

Another A. Wright and Son. Took me close to a year to decide between a Tackler's Knife (basically a sheepsfoot Barlow) and a Lambsfoot. Only thing that made me make up my mind was losing a Taylor's Eye Witness Lambsfoot. And, the quality is MUCH better than the Eye Witness; whether it be my old Lambsfoot or a current production Barlow. And, dare I say Case as well. Plus, they don't really use plastic; except on the inexpensive "Plumber's Knife". And, unless you go with a high-end handle material, they are very affordable. And still, most of the stag knives aren't much over $65-70. My problem with Wright is not really a problem at all--there isn't a pattern they make that I don't like. I like every item in their catalog, and know they produce good quality Sheffield-made knives at affordable prices. Except the fixed blade, the Bushcraft. Its cost is mostly due to the high-end leather sheath; and it's $189. A bit much, but I like its size.

These are a few of what I'm looking at.

1606161431_3361_1.jpg
1610738389_3361_1.jpg
Attachments
1606164319_3361_1.jpg
1593386181_3361_1.jpg
1593466457_3361_1.jpg
1606161128_3361_1.jpg
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Others. These are fixed blades I'm buying for hard use and as choppers for woods work.

British Army Survival Knife. I don't know why when for a long time, you could get them $70-75; and some people now want $125 or more for them. I ain't paying that; but am hoping someone lists a used example I can get cheap.
71HWT2HwGJL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Condor Moonshiner. With a 9" blade, it should give me a bigger chopper for hard use, while still being (barely) small enough for use as a knife. The blade is 3/16 thick! It's discontinued, and I'm seeing people with them for as low as $45.
s-l500CMSFB.jpg

Sportsman's Guide has had a pack of 5 Columbian military surplus machetes for $30 that are all supposedly new in the catalog for a couple years. This is a low cost option that allows me to put them in my work pack, vehicles, and the garage/barn as needed. The problem is that while I want a mix as shown, that's likely not what I'm gonna get. And secondly, I'm wondering how dull they'll be. I do know, it seems, the South Americans seem to make the best machetes. And I'll have to buy five sheaths. Since I don't know the lengths; I can't buy them in advance/in the same order.
653294m2_ts.jpg
Ontario machetes. I've chosen 12" and 18" blade lengths, with both D-Guard and straight handles. Plus, they're USA made.

The 12" D-guard, however, is the one I like best. And all of Ontario's website photos are in WEBP format, which isn't a supported format for photos here (and most other places, and the default Windows photo viewer). I hate converting to JPG.
s-l1600O12MO.jpg

And a Snow and Neally 3.5# axe. Light enough to carry around, big enough to get the job done when I'm on foot in the woods, and don't want to drag the chainsaw around. Snow and Neally is among the best of the best it seems.
IMG_7488-GTO.jpg
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

cody6268 wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:54 pm I hate converting to JPG.
Okay, just being nosy here. Why do you hate converting to JPG?
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

jerryd6818 wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:42 pm
One, it's becoming a bigger and bigger problem. More and more places these days are using the WEBP format for images, since the quality isn't reduced, and they take up less space on a server. But, even Windows as standard can't read it with the regular photo viewer without an add-on. Most forums only allow JPG or PNG format.

But, I often have to go to an external website to do the conversion before I post it here. And with multiple images, that often gets tedious.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

cody6268 wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:20 pm
One, it's becoming a bigger and bigger problem. More and more places these days are using the WEBP format for images, since the quality isn't reduced, and they take up less space on a server. But, even Windows as standard can't read it with the regular photo viewer without an add-on. Most forums only allow JPG or PNG format.

But, I often have to go to an external website to do the conversion before I post it here. And with multiple images, that often gets tedious.
I just hit the "Print Screen" key, go to Paint, hit Ctl V to paste it and use the crop feature, then save it as .JPG. Yes it takes longer than Ctl "save image as" but I can get images that aren't meant to be copied. ::shrug::
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

jerryd6818 wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:42 pm
cody6268 wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:20 pm

I just hit the "Print Screen" key, go to Paint, hit Ctl V to paste it and use the crop feature. Yes it takes longer than Ctl "save image as" but I can get images that aren't meant to be copied. ::shrug::
I'll try that. I've been going into the developer settings/"Page Info" in Firefox and getting them that way if any images are not accessible via right click/"Open Image in New Tab". That is really time consuming.
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

cody6268 wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:28 pm
Thought I would let you know I just bought #0064 before I saw this post. Sorry Cody. :roll:
David L Roberts, United States Navy Retired
Please visit my website: Woodburning Art by David at

https://www.wdbydavid.com/
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

dlr110 wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:48 pm
Thought I would let you know I just bought #0064 before I saw this post. Sorry Cody. :roll:
I don't mind at all. I'm sure he'll restock soon, or put up another listing.

Let me know how the quality is. I've bought all kinds of knives from European brands not widely sold in the US; and quality ranges from barely acceptable as a working knife to really good stuff.
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

cody6268 wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:03 am

Let me know how the quality is. I've bought all kinds of knives from European brands not widely sold in the US; and quality ranges from barely acceptable as a working knife to really good stuff.
I have to admit I bought it out of curiosity for the very reason you mentioned. I love Sod Buster style knives and I wanted to compare it to some U.S. brands. I'll give a review as soon as I receive it. Later. ::tu::

dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

dlr110 wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:15 am

I have to admit I bought it out of curiosity for the very reason you mentioned. I love Sod Buster style knives and I wanted to compare it to some U.S. brands. I'll give a review as soon as I receive it. Later. ::tu::
Cody I just got the knife in the mail today. At first inspection it's not a bad knife. A carbon blade, which I like. The wood handle is in very good shape with not cracks or scratches. All seams between liners, backspring, pins etc. are perfectly smooth and flush. However, you can see a small gap on one side between the liner and backspring when holding it up to a light. There is absolutely no wobble in the blade when opened and it's almost too tight. You can feel and hear metal on metal when the blade is opened/closed. I guess that will change with continued use. It has a very good snap when closed. As far as knives I would buy and carry I would give it 3 1/2 out 5 stars.

toomanyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by toomanyknives »

Next purchase will probably be some sort of equal end stockman, Jerry..
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

dlr110 wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:03 pm
dlr110 wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:15 am

Cody I just got the knife in the mail today. At first inspection it's not a bad knife. A carbon blade, which I like. The wood handle is in very good shape with not cracks or scratches. All seams between liners, backspring, pins etc. are perfectly smooth and flush. However, you can see a small gap on one side between the liner and backspring when holding it up to a light. There is absolutely no wobble in the blade when opened and it's almost too tight. You can feel and hear metal on metal when the blade is opened/closed. I guess that will change with continued use. It has a very good snap when closed. As far as knives I would buy and carry I would give it 3 1/2 out 5 stars.

Thanks for the input. These appear to be a bit better quality than I was expecting. I don't have that one yet, but was managed to get a Sodbuster-based sheepsfoot lockback for around that same $30.

Return to “General Knife Discussion”