Crazy asking prices

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Crazy asking prices

Post by edge213 »

**DISCLAIMER ** This post is not intended to stir up knife sellers.

I've noticed lately, maybe the last year or so, that the asking prices for second hand knives have gotten really high.
Of course there are the GECs that are just ridiculous. Asking prices approaching $500 for a $150 knife.
But also a lot of others. Newer Case knives with asking prices for the same or more than you can buy the same knife for brand new from Shephard Hills.
Small Schrade stockman knives for over $70....crazy. I bought one this summer NOS still in the box with the original lubricant....I paid $20.
Delrin handled Schrade 6OTs, Uncle Henry folding hunters for $90 -$125. This makes no sense to me .These are $35-$50 knives.

I could go and on, but you get my point. Also, its not just ebay and shows. Just go to the AAPK stores and look at some of the ridiculously high asking prices. I don't know if dealers are getting the prices or not, but they are attempting to.

Today I was discussing this topic with a knife dealer friend of mine. He agreed.

I would love to get others opinions. Please don't use the argument " they wouldn't be asking these prices if they weren't getting them".
I've been a knife buyer for about 50 years. I've seen guys hold onto knives for years instead of coming down on the price. Just like a lot of antique dealers.

It's obviously not everyone because I'm still finding good deals and buying plenty of knives.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Crazy asking prices

Post by Railsplitter »

I have an opinion but it’s probably wrong.

I suspect that some people who are new to knife collecting and buy knives as investments assume that if a knife is priced at $500 then that must be how much it’s worth.

They buy the knife thinking that the value will increase and they can reel in $600 on one sale in a few years.

I’m probably way off base but it’s the only thing I can come up with.
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
ken98k
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by ken98k »

People seem to have more money than brains these days.
I recently asked what made a Lanny's Clip worth $500 and it was as if I'd committed a terrible sin!
I am the NRA.
Let's go Brandon!
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Rick I agree with you. Here is an excerpt from one of my writings for new collectors.

"Cost And Knowing What to Buy"

"The next thing you want to think about is cost, how much are you willing and able to spend. Most of the knives in my collection are well known brands, but none of them are what I would call exotic or expensive. I’ve paid over $100.00 for a knife, but the majority are under $50.00.
As with collecting anything you will show an interest toward certain brands or types of knives. It all depends on your interest and what you can afford. Don’t buy based on the belief that a single knife or a collection will bring you great wealth or will be a good investment. I believe the purpose of collecting anything is because it is something you like and it brings joy to your life. If you want to invest your money, buy land or precious metals."
David R (United States Navy Retired)
Don't just count your many blessings, be the blessing others count on!
Visit my website: Woodburning Art by David https://www.wdbydavid.com/
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

I've only been seriously collecting (buying and selling mostly on eBay but also from a variety of other sources including dealers) for about 30 years, and I've observed several trends in the secondhand knife market. One trend that is currently ascendant is average buying/selling prices. When I look at the average purchase/selling price for the majority of the same or similar types of knives I bought/sold in past years compared to the average prices I now pay or see them sell for, it's pretty clear that the average prices are going up (with certain obvious exceptions such as high-end and custom knives that were always expensive). Even the eBay final auction sales prices are going much higher than just a few years ago. I can't help but wonder what market forces are fueling this current trend...demand, scarcity, inflation...??? ::hmm:: ::shrug:: For whatever reason, it definitely seems to be a sellers market at present. ::skeptic::
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

dlr110 wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:18 am It all depends on your interest and what you can afford. Don’t buy based on the belief that a single knife or a collection will bring you great wealth or will be a good investment. I believe the purpose of collecting anything is because it is something you like and it brings joy to your life.
Truer words were never spoken. ::nod::

~Q~
Bamarick

Post by Bamarick »

I suspect that several things may be causing the prices of knives to rise both on line and for in person sales. First of all several firms have ceased production in the United States in the last few years. Some of these brands are now being made in China. Finding American made Schrade products, Camillus, and Queen knives for example has become a lot harder. People who have them can get whatever the buyer is willing to pay. Prices were already beginning to increase and then, enter the Covid 19 pandemic. The Case Factory was closed for some time due to this and very few knives were coming out of there, and they are still pretty limited from what I hear. For most of 2020 the gun and knife shows have been pretty much non-existent. From what I've seen, when there have been shows, the attendance and vendor participation has been very slack. In this area firearms seemed to be much more prevalent, and for a good reason. The few knife dealers who were there either had several tables of Chinese made knives or a couple of tables of higher end knives, which they were very proud of. This could all cause the prices of on-line knives to increase. If this is the only avenue a buyer has to get what he wants he/she will pay these prices. As in all cases, supply and demand will determine the final price.----Ricky
sextonknifeworks

Post by sextonknifeworks »

I think this is part of the reason so many USA knife makers have went by the wayside. People still want to pay under $50 for a USA made knife. That is just not sustainable if you pay your employees $20+ an hour (which is cheap for a cutler), pay overhead such as insurance, utilities etc, etc.

Great Eastern has shown what it takes to make a good USA made knife but they will all cost you around $100 for a decent one fresh off the line. As new collectors come in (especially GEC) they want the earlier models they missed which drive up the price of these very limited first editions. Knife companies have also embraced the collector/scarcity interface. Some of the Northwoods knives surprise me the most. A single bladed barlow for $400, with a brushed finish.

I would also say that while it could be a considered a sellers market but there are many collectors sitting on a big trove of knives that are going up exponentially every year. \

The knife hobby is very healthy right now which should make us all proud.

Below is a picture of a knife my wife got me for Christmas in 2011. I think she paid $125ish. One like it sold for $387 last month.
Attachments
DSC_0001.JPG
weaver.png
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

sextonknifeworks wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:20 am I think this is part of the reason so many USA knife makers have went by the wayside. People still want to pay under $50 for a USA made knife. That is just not sustainable if you pay your employees $20+ an hour (which is cheap for a cutler), pay overhead such as insurance, utilities etc, etc.

Great Eastern has shown what it takes to make a good USA made knife but they will all cost you around $100 for a decent one fresh off the line. As new collectors come in (especially GEC) they want the earlier models they missed which drive up the price of these very limited first editions. Knife companies have also embraced the collector/scarcity interface. Some of the Northwoods knives surprise me the most. A single bladed barlow for $400, with a brushed finish.

I would also say that while it could be a considered a sellers market but there are many collectors sitting on a big trove of knives that are going up exponentially every year. \

The knife hobby is very healthy right now which should make us all proud.

Below is a picture of a knife my wife got me for Christmas in 2011. I think she paid $125ish. One like it sold for $387 last month.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind paying up for a knife if I believe it is worth it.
I own many Benchmade, ZT, Chris Reeve, GEC etc.
What I'm talking about is paying $90 for a $30 knife or $500 for a $150 knife.
Thats like paying $1500 for a standard Sebenza.
David
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

For GEC's, it's all about supply and demand. Most retail around $100 or so, then get sold for 2-3 times that by flippers. I really don't like playing that game, so I just move on. I've got more knives than I can use at one time anyway, and I'll keep my eye open for a closer to retail bargain if I am looking to buy.
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

glennbad wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:54 am For GEC's, it's all about supply and demand. Most retail around $100 or so, then get sold for 2-3 times that by flippers. I really don't like playing that game, so I just move on. I've got more knives than I can use at one time anyway, and I'll keep my eye open for a closer to retail bargain if I am looking to buy.
Good post Glenn. Kinda my thinking. To many knives out there that I like to way over pay for one.
Just move on to the next one.
For example, I collect Wabash Cutlery. Not really a bunch on the market, but I still, won't pay $300 for a knife I believe is more like $80.
David
Stanwade

Post by Stanwade »

I personally believe this trend is turning "collectors" twords cheap, Chinese knives.. they don't have the patience to save $50, $60, $70 or more for a good, brand new American made knife or an HOK... buying 4,5,6 or whatever cheap knives a month satiates their need to "get quantity now" instead of being patient and buying quality... And it really irks me when someone says "I don't have the pocket book for Case, GEC etc..." then they buy several junk knives a month, every few months or whatever the timeframe... maybe if prices weren't artificially inflated more people would support good, American made knives..JMHO,.

Edit-- or any quality knife, not just American made ones.. I didn't mean to leave that point out.. There are high quality knives from all around the world.. just seems like more and more people want cheap, junk ones in quantity...
Ryan

“That’ll be the day”—-John Wayne
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

glennbad wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:54 am For GEC's, it's all about supply and demand. Most retail around $100 or so, then get sold for 2-3 times that by flippers. I really don't like playing that game, so I just move on. I've got more knives than I can use at one time anyway, and I'll keep my eye open for a closer to retail bargain if I am looking to buy.
The GEC boom could quite possibly be what started this trend. Sellers see people paying outrageous prices for GEC’s and think to themselves “Hmmm.....I wonder if somebody would pay that much for my knife”.
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

Well well, good post.had mentioned this about the 74 free for all. If people want to spend too much ,that’s there option. But this guy won’t. It’s sad to see some sellers here taking advantage of the surge of high dollar spenders,but that’s free enterprise I Guess. With everyone at home more spending on line has increased. And some are spending cause they get caught up in the excitement.
If we all stop paying so much it will eventually go down . For me ,will continue to save my cash ,buy from only known sources, and look forward to shows again where you can handle the knife ,and where good old cash has some bargaining power.
Take care ,stay safe .
JP
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

ken98k wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:16 am People seem to have more money than brains these days.
I recently asked what made a Lanny's Clip worth $500 and it was as if I'd committed a terrible sin!
I think your statement is probably the most correct. Dont get me wrong, I am not faulting anyone here on AAPK. Frequent advice given here on AAPK on how to determine the value of a knife when a new member asks about this, is to search the sold prices on Ebay for the same knife. So when doing so I see a GEC actually worth $150 sold on Ebay for $500, this kind of misleads the newcomer into thinking his knives are worth a similar amount when they may or may not be.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
toomanyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by toomanyknives »

An interesting question here. I've always said, "askin' and gettin are two different things".. I personally will pay only what I feel comfortable paying for something. I try (I said TRY) to keep my emotions out of the purchase as much as possible. I love old American pocket knives and fixed blades. My own
experience has been that if you're willing to be patient, you can usually find a good, not always great, deal. I've been collecting for about 50 years, and I can't remember the last time I paid what I thought was too much for a knife. I've passed many by that I would love to have, but didn't pull the trigger. My guess is that our "instant gratification" world that we live in has fueled the ability for some sellers to ask stupid prices and get them from the buyers that want said instant gratification. I personally would love to have some Randall, Loveless, Tony Bose, etc. knives, but the are way out of my comfort zone. So I just enjoy looking at them and shows, reading about them and admiring them. I could sell off a few of my other knives to acquire one of these beauties, but I guess I would rather have more of the cheaper ones to play with! :lol: So back to the original question, don't be upset by the high "askin'" prices, keep on scoring those $20.00 in the box Schrades, and send a few my way any time you want to sell some! Sorry for my pontification. Happy New Year to all my knife friends!
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

Used, quality knife prices are definitely on the upswing. I believe the younger, modern, tactical crowd are slowly infiltrating the "traditional" market. Social media knife groups are showing more and more traditional. It's getting "cool" to have them. I don't see any slow down to the trend.
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
Lansky1

Post by Lansky1 »

QTCut5 wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:42 amit definitely seems to be a sellers market at present. ::skeptic::
Absolutely agree - I’d estimate the eBay Case market is way up compared to even this time last year - consistently ! Deals are few and far between ! Def a sellers market any way you slice it
pffffft that's not a knife ......... now THAT'S a knife !! Crocodile Dundee

John
rea1eye

Post by rea1eye »

I have lost ( or did not even put a bid on) a few Case knives which were on
eBay because the price was high. I have seen a price change since the start of Covid era

I guess it temporarily makes my small collection of Case knives more valuable. I have
never bought a knife with the idea of making a profit years later.

Bob
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

I with you Bob put Queen in where Case is in your post. I guess I need to be selling. I've picked up a few hoks at decent prices lately. But they are few and far between. 500 hundred bucks for a GEC that sold for 150 a month ago is nuts to me, but that's free trade for you.
The thing that really blows my mind is what some of the people on ebay are asking for pos, it ridiculous imo. ::handshake::
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

rea1eye wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:49 pm I have never bought a knife with the idea of making a profit years later.

Bob
Exactly. Nor have I.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

I have even noticed that prices on broken & parts knives are getting higher. It is not unusual to see a busted knife selling for $10 or more - and not rare knives either, but Schrade stockman. Case 'parts knives" sell for double that.
It is crazy.
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

On AAPK stores.
A Case USA 75 pattern .....$475.
Case Tested stockman.....$975 punch blade???
A beat up Case 6165 worn out blade, a hunk missing out of the handle $175..... its a $25 knife ::dang:: ::dang:: ::dang::
A worn out Case 61050 a piece missing from the bone $175.... maybe worth $30 ::shrug:: ::shrug:: ::shrug::
David
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Make the seller an offer...I've often been surprised at how much a seller will come down from his listed asking price. I've also been surprised/suspicious at how high some sellers' initial asking prices are. I know that some sellers use that as a tactic which, especially when combined with a Best Offer option, often yields more than when a knife is put up for open auction.

~Q~
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Case in point:
Case yellow delrin 3138 sodbuster.
AAPK store $45 +$5 shipping.
Brand new from Shephard Hills $32.99.
David