Crazy asking prices

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Re: Crazy asking prices

Post by Papa Bones »

cudgee wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 11:11 pm
bestgear wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 11:05 pm I like how this knife community rallied together without any orchestration and everybody took a different position that were all equally valid. Nobody was bullied and a healthy debate ensued. I hope for zero member carnage as a result of this topic ::nod::
::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ::nod:: ::handshake::
I agree. I always look at it this way. A person who sells can ask what they want. Some may think it is a valid price, some may think it is overpriced. There will always be deals, and there will always be those wanting to make a killing. The bottom line is, A person can ask what they like,but that doesn't mean I will pay it.
Sometimes I Sit and Think ::hmm:: .... Other times I just Sit
I May Grow Older, But I refuse to Grow Up!!
I'll sharpen it for you, but I don't give out band-aids!!

Smitty
Eye Brand Man

Post by Eye Brand Man »

I agree. I always look at it this way. A person who sells can ask what they want. Some may think it is a valid price, some may think it is overpriced. There will always be deals, and there will always be those wanting to make a killing. The bottom line is, A person can ask what they like,but that doesn't mean I will pay it.
[/quote]

::tu:: my thoughts exactly.
Eye Brand Collector
Loose Arrow

Post by Loose Arrow »

For what it's worth I'm going to comment on the irony of this thread. The seller who obviously didn't like to be criticized ::facepalm:: was most definitely criticized but the one seller in here who actually values criticism tried numerous times to engage ::handshake::. with the "group" to no avail. ::hmm::
Most, if not all people who have interacted with me on AAPK have done so very amicably but I will admit that I have already had a very bad experience [edited] over less than a couple bucks but I'm over it.
Have a great day,
Ron
CamMan21

Post by CamMan21 »

If I don't like a price I just don't buy it. Sometimes that works and I later find one at a better price. Sometimes I buy something and still find it at a better price later, but doesn't matter because I wouldn't have paid what I did if I didn't want it that bad. :D
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Loose Arrow wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 12:38 am For what it's worth I'm going to comment on the irony of this thread. The seller who obviously didn't like to be criticized ::facepalm:: was most definitely criticized but the one seller in here who actually values criticism tried numerous times to engage ::handshake::. with the "group" to no avail. ::hmm::
Most, if not all people who have interacted with me on AAPK have done so very amicably but I will admit that I have already had a very bad experience ::censored:: with a long-time member on here. I defended myself accordingly and will promptly do so again, if need be. Strong reciprocity.
Have a great day, ::groove::
Ron
Can you explain this post? Maybe I'm stupid, but it makes no sense to me.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
Loose Arrow

Post by Loose Arrow »

edge213 wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:40 am
The gist of it, in layman terms, is that I'm new to selling knives and I welcomed any constructive criticism this group could provide yet all I got was ....crickets....

...and the attachment was to show context, that there's rip-offs on both sides. Yes, I'd like to list my knives significantly cheaper because I'm very open to dealing with people but [edited] I can't afford to give them away.

I handled this particular situation with as much respect as I could but was later infuriated by his lack of respect for my knife. The [edited] knife was returned loose and unprotected. 😡

I enjoy the extra income this provides me but I possess real tangible trade skills, I don't need to play selling games to turn a buck, I turn wrenches for that instead.

So, to get the best prices from me you just have to approach me with respect and I will afford you the same.

Got advise for me? Feel free to share it, I've always been open to learning.

Hope that clarified my input to this conversation.
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

Loose Arrow wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 7:17 am
The gist of it, in layman terms, is that I'm new to selling knives and I welcomed any constructive criticism this group could provide yet all I got was ....crickets....

...and the attachment was to show context, that there's rip-offs on both sides. Yes, I'd like to list my knives significantly cheaper because I'm very open to dealing with people but I'm not going to give away any of my knives just to be cool with anyone, including old-timers.

I handled this particular situation with as much respect as I could but was later infuriated by his lack of respect for my knife. The long-time member, either out of spite or because he's just a POS, returned a knife back to me loose and unprotected. 😡

I enjoy the extra income this is providing me but I possess real tangible trade skills, I don't need to play selling games to turn a buck, I turn wrenches for that instead.

So, to get the best prices from me you just have to approach me with respect and I will afford you the same.

Maybe you as a seller aren't creating any/many issues requiring criticism. Sellers that create drama usually bubble to the surface and things end up getting "sorted".
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Loose Arrow wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 7:17 am

...and the attachment was to show context, that there's rip-offs on both sides. Yes, I'd like to list my knives significantly cheaper because I'm very open to dealing with people but I'm not going to give away any of my knives just to be cool with anyone, including old-timers.

I handled this particular situation with as much respect as I could but was later infuriated by his lack of respect for my knife. The long-time member, either out of spite or because he's just a POS, returned a knife back to me loose and unprotected. 😡

I enjoy the extra income this is providing me but I possess real tangible trade skills, I don't need to play selling games to turn a buck, I turn wrenches for that instead.

Thank you sir for the explanation ::tu::
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
Loose Arrow

Post by Loose Arrow »

edge213 wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:28 pm
Thank you sir for the explanation ::tu::
Not a problem ::handshake::
glennbad wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:14 pm
Maybe you as a seller aren't creating any/many issues requiring criticism. Sellers that create drama usually bubble to the surface and things end up getting "sorted".
::handshake::

Thanks! I appreciate your point of view. ::tu::
toomanyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by toomanyknives »

Loose Arrow,

If you've only had one issue with a buyer, you must be doing something right! I buy, sell and trade guitars. I've been collecting pocket knives for 40+ years.I know a lot about some things, not much about others.I can't believe some of the things buyers have tried to pull on me over the years. Some people just can't be pleased.

If you describe your knives to the best of your ability, answer questions in a timely manner, again to the best of your ability, and put a fair price on them, you can't be expected to do any more. I found out a long time ago that you just can't please everyone. All I ask for in a seller is to just do what you say you're going to do, and be responsive. There are people on this forum that have forgotten way more that I will ever know, and that's what I love about this place. 90+ percent of my interactions with other members have been very positive, and I've never really had any "bad" ones. An occasional misunderstanding is all. I can't ask for much more on an internet forum.

I think the issue in this situation was a new seller that was a little over zealous at letting us know how it is done, and when it was pointed out, he doubled down, and took it as an attack. We are much more that a "chit-chat" group here, and I think that comment kind of got under the skin of many members. I hope he will settle in and enjoy the AAPK for all it has to offer, which is plentiful, and not just as a "selling outlet". If he chooses to use it just for selling, I'm sure that's fine too, just do it with respect. I hope you sell a bunch of knives, and get some deals along the way too. Good luck in the future! Thanks for letting me get on my soapbox.. ::handshake::

Kerry
LDF Knives

Post by LDF Knives »

I like Knives that are sold through AAPK ::tu:: you get to know People from all over the World, some are downright really nice people! So I'm sticking with it HERE!!! Happy Shopping! Enjoy your late Spring 'Y all
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

toomanyknives wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 2:46 pm If you describe your knives to the best of your ability, answer questions in a timely manner, again to the best of your ability, and put a fair price on them, you can't be expected to do any more.
There's one thing I'd add to that: ship in a timely manner.

As a seller, I abide by that. I have one particular item on eBay right now (not a knife) that has a faint smoky/musty smell, and that was disclosed in the description. If you're not okay with it, then don't bid!

I hate, hate, hate listings with blanket statements like "condition is 'used'" or "see pictures for description." Pictures do not always tell the whole story! Things such as the smoky/musty smell, and quality of knife blades' snap, cannot be conveyed through the medium of photography.

Just as bad are the sellers who list an item with a start bid of, for example, $50. They find it doesn't sell, and relist it with a start bid of $50, over and over again. If nobody bought it at $50 the first time around, things ain't likely to change. Lower the price!

Rant over. I will also say that my experiences buying from AAPK member stores have been nothing short of perfect.
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
Loose Arrow

Post by Loose Arrow »

toomanyknives wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 2:46 pm Loose Arrow,

If you've only had one issue with a buyer, you must be doing something right!

Kerry
Thank you Kerry! Your sentiments have been well received by me. Inviting criticism but receiving praise in its place really feels great.
toomanyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by toomanyknives »

Dan In MI wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 3:38 pm
toomanyknives wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 2:46 pm If you describe your knives to the best of your ability, answer questions in a timely manner, again to the best of your ability, and put a fair price on them, you can't be expected to do any more.
There's one thing I'd add to that: ship in a timely manner.

As a seller, I abide by that. I have one particular item on eBay right now (not a knife) that has a faint smoky/musty smell, and that was disclosed in the description. If you're not okay with it, then don't bid!

I hate, hate, hate listings with blanket statements like "condition is 'used'" or "see pictures for description." Pictures do not always tell the whole story! Things such as the smoky/musty smell, and quality of knife blades' snap, cannot be conveyed through the medium of photography.

Just as bad are the sellers who list an item with a start bid of, for example, $50. They find it doesn't sell, and relist it with a start bid of $50, over and over again. If nobody bought it at $50 the first time around, things ain't likely to change. Lower the price!

Rant over. I will also say that my experiences buying from AAPK member stores have been nothing short of perfect.
Very true, Dan! Agree 100%..
toomanyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by toomanyknives »

Loose Arrow wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 3:39 pm
toomanyknives wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 2:46 pm Loose Arrow,

If you've only had one issue with a buyer, you must be doing something right!

Kerry
Thank you Kerry! Your sentiments have been well received by me. Inviting criticism but receiving praise in its place really feels great.
Yes sir. You have some fantastic knives in your store, BTW. Have a great day!
Loose Arrow

Post by Loose Arrow »

toomanyknives wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 3:47 pm
Yes sir. You have some fantastic knives in your store, BTW. Have a great day!
Thank you! Now if I could just get myself to list more. :roll:
Very time consuming, the picture 📷 taking that is because I don't like blurry photos. Natural lighting works best too. These knives are some of my knives that are currently unlisted. 🕵
Attachments
20210512_115441~3.jpg
toomanyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by toomanyknives »

WOW!
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Crazy asking prices? I was at a gun show last weekend and the dealers that used to have boxes with knives "$5 your choice" now have the same boxes with the same knives for "$15 your choice".
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
Boji
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Boji »

OLDE CUTLER wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 3:15 am Crazy asking prices? I was at a gun show last weekend and the dealers that used to have boxes with knives "$5 your choice" now have the same boxes with the same knives for "$15 your choice".
Just following the prices for ammo.......
Protected by a large LOUD dog, and Smith & Wesson...
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Ole Smokey has lost their minds. Surely the handle are gold with diamond inlays instead of brass and carbon fiber
Attachments
20210527_104828.jpg
20210527_104809.jpg
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

bighomer wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 3:55 pm Ole Smokey has lost their minds. Surely the handle are gold with diamond inlays instead of brass and carbon fiber
No, I'm afraid SMKW has got their description correct B.H., Arizona Custom Knives has these Microtech OTF knives with prices of US$7500. and more, and they're selling like hotcakes! It absolutely stuns me some of the prices I see being asked by the sellers, considering they are made from the same materials as less expensive models. Not long ago I asked a member what made a certain knife so expensive, and although their explanation was valid, in no way could I ever justify paying those prices when I can get virtually the same pattern knife for a far more reasonable price. Look at GEC's, they're undoubtedly beautiful well made knives, but somewhere along the line the demand for them drove the prices sky high, but they're still the same knife one could have bought a few years ago for much, much less than they run today. This is a crazy hobby we all love! 8)
8)
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

I wonder if the crazy asking prices we're seeing lately are simply a reflection of the crazy buying prices a lot of collectors are willing to pay. ::hmm::

Consider this 1994 Case Classic 63055 Black Pearl Wharncliffe Whittler. I've never seen a Case Classic sell for this much...nor anything even remotely close. Once-upon-a-time I used to collect Seahorse Whittlers as well as Black Lip Pearl, and as nice as this knife seems to be, I still can't fathom paying that much for it. While it's true that this knife is quite rare (1 of 10 engraved on the master Wharncliffe blade pile side), it is, after all, a Case Classic, which means it was made by Queen. (Not saying anything about the quality, but personally I've never really considered the Case Classics to be "true" Case knives. JMO YMMV)

Current Bid: $760.00 :shock: with 5+ days remaining on the auction. Unbelievable. :?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284331810316?s ... 1438.l2649
Case Classic Black Pearl Wharncliffe Whittler.jpg
~Q~
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

I’ve also noticed this. Prices have jumped tremendously. There are still some bargains to be had but most are way overpriced.
I can’t say why this is but there’s something we can do about it. Remember a seller of anything can ask whatever they want for it. Also realize something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. And there will always be the unknowledgeable that will overpay but most serious collectors won’t. The answer of course: if it’s overpriced, DONT BUY IT !!! Perhaps sellers will get the message when they are stuck with inventory that nobody will buy.
"The Edge...There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

IMO it's the auction atmosphere that drives the prices into the stratosphere. I feel like if everyone waited until the last minute before entering their bid they might go for a more realistic price. Or maybe not.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

jerryd6818 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:23 am I feel like if everyone waited until the last minute before entering their bid they might go for a more realistic price. Or maybe not.
Could be. A couple of my electrician's knives were won with last possible second bids.
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget

Return to “General Knife Discussion”