Crazy asking prices

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Crazy asking prices

Post by Madmarco »

bighomer wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 3:55 pm Ole Smokey has lost their minds. Surely the handle are gold with diamond inlays instead of brass and carbon fiber
No, I'm afraid SMKW has got their description correct B.H., Arizona Custom Knives has these Microtech OTF knives with prices of US$7500. and more, and they're selling like hotcakes! It absolutely stuns me some of the prices I see being asked by the sellers, considering they are made from the same materials as less expensive models. Not long ago I asked a member what made a certain knife so expensive, and although their explanation was valid, in no way could I ever justify paying those prices when I can get virtually the same pattern knife for a far more reasonable price. Look at GEC's, they're undoubtedly beautiful well made knives, but somewhere along the line the demand for them drove the prices sky high, but they're still the same knife one could have bought a few years ago for much, much less than they run today. This is a crazy hobby we all love! 8)
8)
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

I wonder if the crazy asking prices we're seeing lately are simply a reflection of the crazy buying prices a lot of collectors are willing to pay. ::hmm::

Consider this 1994 Case Classic 63055 Black Pearl Wharncliffe Whittler. I've never seen a Case Classic sell for this much...nor anything even remotely close. Once-upon-a-time I used to collect Seahorse Whittlers as well as Black Lip Pearl, and as nice as this knife seems to be, I still can't fathom paying that much for it. While it's true that this knife is quite rare (1 of 10 engraved on the master Wharncliffe blade pile side), it is, after all, a Case Classic, which means it was made by Queen. (Not saying anything about the quality, but personally I've never really considered the Case Classics to be "true" Case knives. JMO YMMV)

Current Bid: $760.00 :shock: with 5+ days remaining on the auction. Unbelievable. :?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284331810316?s ... 1438.l2649
Case Classic Black Pearl Wharncliffe Whittler.jpg
~Q~
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

I’ve also noticed this. Prices have jumped tremendously. There are still some bargains to be had but most are way overpriced.
I can’t say why this is but there’s something we can do about it. Remember a seller of anything can ask whatever they want for it. Also realize something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. And there will always be the unknowledgeable that will overpay but most serious collectors won’t. The answer of course: if it’s overpriced, DONT BUY IT !!! Perhaps sellers will get the message when they are stuck with inventory that nobody will buy.
"The Edge...There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

IMO it's the auction atmosphere that drives the prices into the stratosphere. I feel like if everyone waited until the last minute before entering their bid they might go for a more realistic price. Or maybe not.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

jerryd6818 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:23 am I feel like if everyone waited until the last minute before entering their bid they might go for a more realistic price. Or maybe not.
Could be. A couple of my electrician's knives were won with last possible second bids.
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

I was looking at the Swiss-Tech Microtool and a listing from this seller popped up. For most of their items, it looks like over-$1000 prices pulled out of their backside. How someone manages to sell anything at these prices is beyond me.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/mfnships/m.htm ... pg=&_from=

Yet, I noticed this in the seller's feedback. What items that did sell from this seller didn't sell at those prices. So, what's going on here?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/333965275293
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I don't think he knows he has to add a decimal point when he enters the price. A 10 watt bulb in a 100 watt world (well maybe 85 watt world).
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Boji
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Boji »

i never knew that an auction could have Make an Offer. Weird. maybe those prices are some code like what the sellers cost was,
Protected by a large LOUD dog, and Smith & Wesson...
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

More rubbish from Scambay.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Check out AAPK store item number 63002.
A thousand bucks and you pay the shipping. ::groove::
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

edge213 wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:13 pm Check out AAPK store item number 63002.
A thousand bucks and you pay the shipping. ::groove::
And it's not even Mint. ::dang:: ::dang:: ::dang:: ::doh:: ::hmm::
bigshot

Post by bigshot »

Most people selling on eBay are regular people who need money and have to sell some of their belongings to make rent or raise money for a vacation. When they sell something, they want to make a profit on it, even if they paid full retail originally. Most things priced like this just sit there and get listed over and over. After a while, the sellers get desperate, and if someone PMs them and makes an offer, no matter how far off their original asking price, they just might snap at it. I get great deals that way. But if they come back with another high counteroffer, I decline and get out of corresponding with them. That will help the next guy get a better deal.
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

I have recently sold some items on ebay and I listed most of my items at what most people would say was a high asking price but i listed most of these items at what I paid for them on the secondary market or at a price that i had observed similar items selling for. I think that most of us as collectors always dream of finding that diamond in the rough that turns out to be worth a small fortune. Of course that rarely happens so if i happen to make some money on one of my knives I feel fortunate because I loose money on most of them.
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
bigshot

Post by bigshot »

I've had a lot of experience with collectibles, and people's gut instinct is usually all wrong. Very expensive things rarely appreciate in value, and to get one, you have so much invested, you can't sell without losing money. The place where money can be made is inexpensive things that are extremely popular, yet disposable. Buy a large batch and hang onto them for 20 years, and you'll be able to triple your investment or more. It's a lot easier for something worth $20 to triple in value than something worth $500. Imagine if you did that with 5 cent packages of baseball cards or comic books back in the 50s and 60s... you would be rich today.

For instance... if I had to predict the future of knife collecting, I would probably go against what most people here tend to think. I wouldn't invest in custom knives or high end GEC. If I was in my 20s, I would look for specific models of inexpensive knife models made by companies like Spyderco, Gerber, Rough Ryder and Marble's that are highly sought after when they are initially released. I'd sock away a few dozen of each and keep them mint in box. Fill a closet shelf with them. Right now, these cheap knives are considered ephemeral, but nearly everyone has one in their pocket. In 20 years, people will be looking back fondly on the knives of their youth and will want one just like they used to have, just like we do about the knives our dads gave us. It is pretty much a certainty that in the future high quality knives will cost a lot more than they do right now. You should be able to buy a knife today for $15 and sell it for $75 in 20 years. Even if they don't appreciate in value at all, it shouldn't be hard to sell them for what you paid for them.

So go invest in cheap knives by the crate load and become a tycoon of the future! :D ::ds::
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

bigshot wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:36 am I've had a lot of experience with collectibles, and people's gut instinct is usually all wrong. Very expensive things rarely appreciate in value, and to get one, you have so much invested, you can't sell without losing money. The place where money can be made is inexpensive things that are extremely popular, yet disposable. Buy a large batch and hang onto them for 20 years, and you'll be able to triple your investment or more. It's a lot easier for something worth $20 to triple in value than something worth $500. Imagine if you did that with 5 cent packages of baseball cards or comic books back in the 50s and 60s... you would be rich today.

For instance... if I had to predict the future of knife collecting, I would probably go against what most people here tend to think. I wouldn't invest in custom knives or high end GEC. If I was in my 20s, I would look for specific models of inexpensive knife models made by companies like Spyderco, Gerber, Rough Ryder and Marble's that are highly sought after when they are initially released. I'd sock away a few dozen of each and keep them mint in box. Fill a closet shelf with them. Right now, these cheap knives are considered ephemeral, but nearly everyone has one in their pocket. In 20 years, people will be looking back fondly on the knives of their youth and will want one just like they used to have, just like we do about the knives our dads gave us. It is pretty much a certainty that in the future high quality knives will cost a lot more than they do right now. You should be able to buy a knife today for $15 and sell it for $75 in 20 years. Even if they don't appreciate in value at all, it shouldn't be hard to sell them for what you paid for them.

So go invest in cheap knives by the crate load and become a tycoon of the future! :D ::ds::
Well, I have no intention of selling what I have. I hate selling because I always end up with remorse. If I hadn't wanted it, I wouldn't have bought it. I won't be around in 15-20 years so the kids can do as they please with my pile. ::huff::
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Looking at the prices of them ole Queens I probably ought to be selling some instead of buying, but I'm to lazy to go to that much trouble. It's easy to buy just hit a couple of buttons selling you have to do a bunch of pecking. ::woot::
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

jerryd6818 wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:29 am
bigshot wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:36 am I've had a lot of experience with collectibles, and people's gut instinct is usually all wrong. Very expensive things rarely appreciate in value, and to get one, you have so much invested, you can't sell without losing money. The place where money can be made is inexpensive things that are extremely popular, yet disposable. Buy a large batch and hang onto them for 20 years, and you'll be able to triple your investment or more. It's a lot easier for something worth $20 to triple in value than something worth $500. Imagine if you did that with 5 cent packages of baseball cards or comic books back in the 50s and 60s... you would be rich today.

Well, I have no intention of selling what I have. I hate selling because I always end up with remorse. If I hadn't wanted it, I wouldn't have bought it. I won't be around in 15-20 years so the kids can do as they please with my pile. ::huff::

Well said Jerry!
David
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

That strategy of buying a closet full of cheap knives sounds like a sure-fire way to wind up on that TV show called hoarders. ::nod::
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

jerryd6818 wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:29 am Well, I have no intention of selling what I have. I hate selling because I always end up with remorse. If I hadn't wanted it, I wouldn't have bought it. I won't be around in 15-20 years so the kids can do as they please with my pile.
Jerry you and I are on the same ship. I have given away a few knives, but I have never sold a knife. I buy knives for many different reasons, but mostly because I want them in my collection. I have 3 children and 13 grandchildren at present that will have to fight over who gets the "Roberts Museum of Knives." ::uc::
David L Roberts, United States Navy Retired
Please visit my website: Woodburning Art by David at

https://www.wdbydavid.com/
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

There is a mammoth Northwoods in an AAPK store for $1250.
Not a scientific study, just an observation, but it seems the stores that have the really high prices are owned by guys that never or hardly ever post in the forum. Though some do log in often. ::shrug::
David
royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by royal0014 »

Used to be the AAPK Store was kinda exclusive. Nice knives at decent prices by people we know.
Seems it's been infiltrated by the high price flippers, and an increasing amount of china garbage . . .
:(
Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

royal0014 wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:18 pm Used to be the AAPK Store was kinda exclusive. Nice knives at decent prices by people we know.
Seems it's been infiltrated by the high price flippers, and an increasing amount of china garbage . . .
:(
I agree
David
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

edge213 wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:48 pm There is a mammoth Northwoods in an AAPK store for $1250.
Not a scientific study, just an observation, but it seems the stores that have the really high prices are owned by guys that never or hardly ever post in the forum. Though some do log in often. ::shrug::
https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... order=DESC
Mammoth Northwoods.jpg

What I find interesting is that he's offering it for $1,250 on AAPK, but on eBay the same seller has it listed for auction starting at .99 (10 day listing...should be interesting to see how this plays out)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/124988567547?h ... Swa8VhhDsc
Seller ID.jpg
~Q~
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

edge213 wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:48 pm it seems the stores that have the really high prices are owned by guys that never or hardly ever post in the forum. Though some do log in often. ::shrug::
I am pretty sure they have to log in to access their store front, I know I have to log in to buy anything ::nod::

I also wondered why they never participate in the forum ::hmm:: ::shrug::
AAPK Janitor
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Miller Bro's wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:35 pm I also wondered why they never participate in the forum ::hmm:: ::shrug::
Some do, but, my guess is that the ones who don't participate in the forum aren't knife lovers/collectors so much as opportunistic businessmen trying to take advantage of a unique situation to make a lot of money while avoiding the taxes and fees charged on eBay. ::undecided::
~Q~

Return to “General Knife Discussion”