Comfort Knives!

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Re: Comfort Knives!

Post by Papa Bones »

Rdubya21 wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:47 am
This is a great thread ! Just got this Camillus Barlow a few days ago . Been my comfort knife since , ::nod::
Great looking shortline Camillus Barlow Rdubya. ::tu:: ::nod:: Those are a little harder to find.

Madmarco wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:49 pm I ordered this knife from Thailand via Etsy on Aug. 28th., and it arrived by DHL this morning, so of course it's my comfort knife for today! It's a handmade Finlang(me neither)6 3/4" oal slip-joint lockback/SS dagger blade with 30% top swedge, SS bolsters with citrine inlays on both sides, SS liners, dark horn covers with brass inlays, and lanyard hole. Weighs-in at a hair over 3 oz.'s, and arrived shaving-sharp. Walks open smoothly, and talks with a loud snap when closing. Fit and finish are perfect. When I first saw this folder it was the dagger blade that attracted me, since I've seldom seen that grind on this style knife, and I like it even more in-hand! 8)WIN_20210906_14_19_04_Pro.jpgWIN_20210906_14_18_42_Pro.jpg
Sweet looking Lockback Marc. Really like the grind on the blade. ::tu::
Sometimes I Sit and Think ::hmm:: .... Other times I just Sit
I May Grow Older, But I refuse to Grow Up!!
I'll sharpen it for you, but I don't give out band-aids!!

Smitty
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Madmarco wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:08 pm
cudgee wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:02 pm
Madmarco wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:49 pm I ordered this knife from Thailand via Etsy on Aug. 28th., and it arrived by DHL this morning, so of course it's my comfort knife for today! It's a handmade Finlang(me neither)6 3/4" oal slip-joint lockback/SS dagger blade with 30% top swedge, SS bolsters with citrine inlays on both sides, SS liners, dark horn covers with brass inlays, and lanyard hole. Weighs-in at a hair over 3 oz.'s, and arrived shaving-sharp. Walks open smoothly, and talks with a loud snap when closing. Fit and finish are perfect. When I first saw this folder it was the dagger blade that attracted me, since I've seldom seen that grind on this style knife, and I like it even more in-hand! 8)WIN_20210906_14_19_04_Pro.jpgWIN_20210906_14_18_42_Pro.jpg
I don't know what impresses me more the knife, or the speed of delivery. That is quick. ::nod::
I was really surprised too, although the seller sent it via DHL so that would account for the speedy delivery, but it also surprised me that DHL would deliver on Labor Day, guess DHL in Canada doesn't celebrate L/D. ::shrug:: 8)
I think covid has a lot to do with it, everyone buying online has made delivery and postal services pull their fingers out and start delivering out of normal hours to get through the back log. ::tu::
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Papa Bones wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:45 pm
Rdubya21 wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:47 am
This is a great thread ! Just got this Camillus Barlow a few days ago . Been my comfort knife since , ::nod::
Great looking shortline Camillus Barlow Rdubya. ::tu:: ::nod:: Those are a little harder to find.

Sweet looking Lockback Marc. Really like the grind on the blade. ::tu::
Thanks buddy, ::handshake:: always appreciate your comments! 8)
8)
Rdubya21

Post by Rdubya21 »

Thanks for the welcome guys .
9FD0B85A-C74B-4714-8163-D28DBE4A7785.jpeg
I thought it’s an 11 . My uneducated guess .
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

cudgee wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:31 pm This is one of my favorite comfort knives, the bone is a light cream color, it slips into my pocket beautifully, and i was not expecting this, when it arrived and i opened it, it was flawless. Could not find a fault with it, is the best made knife i have.

IMAG0542.jpg
Hey Cudgee, it’s really great seeing your knives. Please do show more,like that cream color on the bone .
Take care over there my Friend ::tu:: .
JP
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Madmarco wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:59 pm
Dan In MI wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:32 am If "Crocodile" Dundee carried a folder, it would be one of those. Pretty impressive on size alone!
That's a great analogy Dan! I was trying to figure out who would carry a knife like that and Crocodile Dundee is the guy! 8)
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

That's great Jerry, ::tu:: thanks for the memories! 8)
8)
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Madmarco wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:44 pm That's great Jerry, ::tu:: thanks for the memories! 8)
Loved that movie.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Ditto! ::tu:: 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

This cool little knife arrived in today's mail, so naturally it's my comfort knife for the day! It's stamped "Minsheng", so I'd have to say it's Chinese built, although, I ordered it from Bulgaria. The knife is 7 3/4" oal/SS dagger blade with top swedge, SS bolsters with jigging, brass pins, faux wooden cover, coil-spring open/close, safety, adjustable pivot, and a pocket-clip that also serves as the rear handle. Weighs-in at exactly 3 oz.'s, and came with only the bottom edge sharpened. As always I removed the P/C, but the knife just didn't feel right in my hand so I put it back on. It's 1 of only a few knives that I've left the P.C on. I had promised myself, "no more click therapy knives", but when I saw the knife I thought it would do nicely as the auto version of a manual folder I recently received, but when I compared the 2 side-by-side they really aren't that similar. Opening was less than ideal, but with the application of some Q.R. oil it fires hard and solid with no play. The price was right, and it fills a space in my display! 8)
WIN_20210909_10_03_10_Pro.jpg
WIN_20210909_10_03_33_Pro.jpg
WIN_20210909_10_04_05_Pro.jpg
8)
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

Madmarco wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:30 pm This cool little knife arrived in today's mail, so naturally it's my comfort knife for the day! It's stamped "Minsheng", so I'd have to say it's Chinese built, although, I ordered it from Bulgaria. The knife is 7 3/4" oal/SS dagger blade with top swedge, SS bolsters with jigging, brass pins, faux wooden cover, coil-spring open/close, safety, adjustable pivot, and a pocket-clip that also serves as the rear handle. Weighs-in at exactly 3 oz.'s, and came with only the bottom edge sharpened. As always I removed the P/C, but the knife just didn't feel right in my hand so I put it back on. It's 1 of only a few knives that I've left the P.C on. I had promised myself, "no more click therapy knives", but when I saw the knife I thought it would do nicely as the auto version of a manual folder I recently received, but when I compared the 2 side-by-side they really aren't that similar. Opening was less than ideal, but with the application of some Q.R. oil it fires hard and solid with no play. The price was right, and it fills a space in my display! 8)WIN_20210909_10_03_10_Pro.jpgWIN_20210909_10_03_33_Pro.jpgWIN_20210909_10_04_05_Pro.jpg
Cool looking knife Marc!! ::tu:: The size of the pocket clip almost looks like it could double as a belt clip. ::hmm:: As for promising yourself not to buy any other therapy knives?????? Yeah......I say that also.....and as usual......I fail. ::mdm:: They're like tater chips brother, you can't just have one. ::super_happy::

Smitty
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Papa Bones wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:32 pm
Madmarco wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:30 pm This cool little knife arrived in today's mail, so naturally it's my comfort knife for the day! It's stamped "Minsheng", so I'd have to say it's Chinese built, although, I ordered it from Bulgaria. The knife is 7 3/4" oal/SS dagger blade with top swedge, SS bolsters with jigging, brass pins, faux wooden cover, coil-spring open/close, safety, adjustable pivot, and a pocket-clip that also serves as the rear handle. Weighs-in at exactly 3 oz.'s, and came with only the bottom edge sharpened. As always I removed the P/C, but the knife just didn't feel right in my hand so I put it back on. It's 1 of only a few knives that I've left the P.C on. I had promised myself, "no more click therapy knives", but when I saw the knife I thought it would do nicely as the auto version of a manual folder I recently received, but when I compared the 2 side-by-side they really aren't that similar. Opening was less than ideal, but with the application of some Q.R. oil it fires hard and solid with no play. The price was right, and it fills a space in my display! 8)WIN_20210909_10_03_10_Pro.jpgWIN_20210909_10_03_33_Pro.jpgWIN_20210909_10_04_05_Pro.jpg
Cool looking knife Marc!! ::tu:: The size of the pocket clip almost looks like it could double as a belt clip. ::hmm:: As for promising yourself not to buy any other therapy knives?????? Yeah......I say that also.....and as usual......I fail. ::mdm:: They're like tater chips brother, you can't just have one. ::super_happy::
LOL, so true Smitty! I too thought that the size of that clip would make it an easy belt clip cuz it's so big and wide. My resolve always seems to weaken ::facepalm:: when I see a potential for a set, and this one was no exception! Cest la vie! 8)
8)
Maddogfl

Post by Maddogfl »

I will put a little different spin on this thread. While I appreciate the original intent, and I certainly have knives that I just like owning, and handling, there is a different kind of comfort. I live in the woods, with no other houses within sight or sound from me. I live in the second highest crime county in Florida. It is 12 miles and usually a half hour response time from a sheriff's deputy in an emergency! . Being retired and nearly 70 years old, I am not in physical condition to go man-on-man any more. I spend a lot of time at this desk. At my right hand is my "comfort" drawer. There is nothing "emotionally special" to me in there, they are just tools, but they do provide comfort.

The Camillus reproduction M2, sharpened to shave, not to work, is there because of something my Father used to tell me. He said, "Son, a knife never goes click when you want it to go bang."
Attachments
DSCN2415.JPG
Samb

Post by Samb »

Like the drawer.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Maddogfl wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:57 pm I will put a little different spin on this thread. While I appreciate the original intent, and I certainly have knives that I just like owning, and handling, there is a different kind of comfort. I live in the woods, with no other houses within sight or sound from me. I live in the second highest crime county in Florida. It is 12 miles and usually a half hour response time from a sheriff's deputy in an emergency! . Being retired and nearly 70 years old, I am not in physical condition to go man-on-man any more. I spend a lot of time at this desk. At my right hand is my "comfort" drawer. There is nothing "emotionally special" to me in there, they are just tools, but they do provide comfort.

The Camillus reproduction M2, sharpened to shave, not to work, is there because of something my Father used to tell me. He said, "Son, a knife never goes click when you want it to go bang."
Might I suggest ::handshake:: you post this in the "General Off Topic Discussion" thread, under "Guns and Gun Related Stuff" Maddog, there are 400 pages of posts and you will likely get better responses to your post. Or not, up to you. 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Samb wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:40 pm Like the drawer.
::rotflol:: ! 8)
8)
Maddogfl

Post by Maddogfl »

Madmarco wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:33 pm
Maddogfl wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:57 pm I will put a little different spin on this thread. While I appreciate the original intent, and I certainly have knives that I just like owning, and handling, there is a different kind of comfort. I live in the woods, with no other houses within sight or sound from me. I live in the second highest crime county in Florida. It is 12 miles and usually a half hour response time from a sheriff's deputy in an emergency! . Being retired and nearly 70 years old, I am not in physical condition to go man-on-man any more. I spend a lot of time at this desk. At my right hand is my "comfort" drawer. There is nothing "emotionally special" to me in there, they are just tools, but they do provide comfort.

Might I suggest ::handshake:: you post this in the "General Off Topic Discussion" thread, under "Guns and Gun Related Stuff" Maddog, there are 400 pages of posts and you will likely get better responses to your post. Or not, up to you. 8)
Thank you for the suggestion. I am new to the site and it will take some time for me to find my way around the site physically and culturally. I appreciate any help I can get.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Maddogfl wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:30 pm
Madmarco wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:33 pm

Thank you for the suggestion. I am new to the site and it will take some time for me to find my way around the site physically and culturally. I appreciate any help I can get.
My pleasure bud! ::handshake:: There are lots of guys here including me, that will bend over backwards to try and help anyone who is new to the site, or, even anyone who's been here for awhile, all ya gotta do is ask, either in your posts or by P.M.("Private Message", beside your user name where you log-in) Almost forgot, nice pistol! Mark! 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

I got 4 nice folders in today's mail, but I'll post em' one-at-a-time so I have something to post over the weekend! First up is a 8" oal Lerch designed CRKT frame-lock "Flat Out"/SS spear-point blade riding on bronze phosphor washers and dual-studs, all SS body fastened with screws, adjustable pivot, and pocket-clip. It has an approximate weight of 5 oz.'s, and came shaving sharp. Excellent walk n' talk, and equally nice fit n' finish. This folder has the CRKT patented "Outburst" assisted opening system, and WOW, does it work! With the slightest nudge on the stud the A/O kicks in and propels the blade open lightning fast. I've only experienced a faster opening with an auto. I much prefer linerlock to frame-lock, cuz I feel the F/L detracts from the look of the knife, but it's O.K. I was first attracted to the clean smooth profile on this knife, and in person it didn't disappoint! It'll provide me plenty of comfort today! 8)
WIN_20210916_14_27_53_Pro.jpg
WIN_20210916_12_11_25_Pro.jpg
8)
Samb

Post by Samb »

Sweet!
toomanyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by toomanyknives »

Madmarco wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:33 pm I got 4 nice folders in today's mail, but I'll post em' one-at-a-time so I have something to post over the weekend! First up is a 8" oal Lerch designed CRKT frame-lock "Flat Out"/SS needle/drop point blade with dual-studs, all SS body fastened with screws, adjustable pivot, and pocket-clip. It has an approximate weight of 5 oz.'s, and came shaving sharp. Excellent walk n' talk, and equally nice fit n' finish. This folder has the CRKT patented "Outburst" assisted opening system, and WOW, does it work! With the slightest nudge on the stud the A/O kicks in and propels the blade open lightning fast. I've only experienced a faster opening with an auto. I much prefer linerlock to frame-lock, cuz I feel the F/L detracts from the look of the knife, but it's O.K. I was first attracted to the clean smooth profile on this knife, and in person it didn't disappoint! It'll provide me plenty of comfort today! 8) WIN_20210916_14_27_53_Pro.jpgWIN_20210916_12_11_25_Pro.jpg
Another cool one, Marco. I'm with you on the liner lock as opposed to frame lock.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Thanks a bunch Sam and Kerry! ::handshake:: 8)
8)
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

Madmarco wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:33 pm I got 4 nice folders in today's mail, but I'll post em' one-at-a-time so I have something to post over the weekend! First up is a 8" oal Lerch designed CRKT frame-lock "Flat Out"/SS needle/drop point blade with dual-studs, all SS body fastened with screws, adjustable pivot, and pocket-clip. It has an approximate weight of 5 oz.'s, and came shaving sharp. Excellent walk n' talk, and equally nice fit n' finish. This folder has the CRKT patented "Outburst" assisted opening system, and WOW, does it work! With the slightest nudge on the stud the A/O kicks in and propels the blade open lightning fast. I've only experienced a faster opening with an auto. I much prefer linerlock to frame-lock, cuz I feel the F/L detracts from the look of the knife, but it's O.K. I was first attracted to the clean smooth profile on this knife, and in person it didn't disappoint! It'll provide me plenty of comfort today! 8) WIN_20210916_14_27_53_Pro.jpgWIN_20210916_12_11_25_Pro.jpg
Very nice Marc. The flat Out is a very sleek design. Yep, I've kinda been putting the Chicken Eye on them myself. I know CRKT calls it is a spear point blade, but to me it looks like a slim Wharncliffe blade, just my opinion. They say the Outburst assist is slick and fast.

Smitty
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Papa Bones wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:31 am
Very nice Marc. The flat Out is a very sleek design. Yep, I've kinda been putting the Chicken Eye on them myself. I know CRKT calls it is a spear point blade, but to me it looks like a slim Wharncliffe blade, just my opinion. They say the Outburst assist is slick and fast.
Thanks Smitty! ::handshake:: If you've been eyeing this knife I would like to suggest you get yourself one, cuz between the sleek design, SLIM WHARNCLIFFE BLADE, and Outburst opening system I can pretty much guarantee you won't be disappointed. Thanks also for the correction about the blade style, I was really stumped about what to call it, and I've since edited the OP. And I totally agree with your opinion that it looks like a Wharnie blade. When you open this knife for the 1st time you'll barely believe how fast it deploys. I figured all A/O's were the same, but let me tell you, this knife certainly dispels that theory. I forgot to mention in my OP that the blade rides on bronze phosphor washers, which I'm sure helps with the deployment, and I've corrected that too. I almost ordered it from Aliexpress in China for much less than I paid here in Canada, but I'm really glad I bit the bullet and paid-up for it so as to insure I got the original. A totally cool knife! 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

This is the 2nd of 4 I received recently! It's a Cold Steel 13 1/2" oal "Luzon" linerlock/an 8Cr13MoV blade with pull/fuller dual-studs and flippers, ZY-EX covers and integrated pocket-clip, liners made of a material I'm not familiar with,(SS maybe?)adjustable pivot, linerlock safety, and lanyard hole. I mistakenly posted yesterday in a different thread that the weight was about 8 oz.'s when in actuality it weighs 9.3 oz.'s, and arrived C/S sharp. This is one of very few knives that I left the pocket-clip on, because it's so well designed that at first I didn't even see it. The linerlock safety feature is pretty cool in that, when it's deployed you can't move the linerlock for closing until you slide it to the open position. I watched C/S vids of this knife in action, and once in-hand I certainly understood how it could take the punishment that C/S put it through. I guess it's classified as a "pocket knife", but you can dream on about that because I don't think they make pockets big enough to handle this knife, it's much better suited to be hung off your belt! See ya tomorrow with another C/S monster! 8)
WIN_20210916_14_18_21_Pro.jpg
WIN_20210916_12_12_24_Pro.jpg
8)

Return to “General Knife Discussion”