Comfort Knives!

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Comfort Knives!

Post by Madmarco »

Papa Bones wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:56 pm
Madmarco wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:53 pm
Thanks for the compliments Smitty. ::handshake:: I am in total agreement with you regarding the guards. I much prefer the "Icepick" profile on my knives. The guards on this knife or any other interrupt those smooth, clean line you spoke of, and as far as them serving as "flippers", well, since this is an auto "flippers" are next to useless. Since stilettos are stabbing knives and not cutting knives, I can understand the design in terms of protecting your fingers from sliding forward as the knife is being thrust forward in a stabbing motion, but regardless of that I just don't like em', and probably never will. Here's pics of a true "Icepick", also a Pro-Tech build, but designed without the silly guards/flippers. 8)WIN_20210424_13_49_30_Pro.jpgWIN_20210424_13_49_10_Pro.jpg
::tu:: ::tu:: ::nod:: Yes, much better!!
Amazing how they could get it so right on one knife, and so wrong on another, at least so wrong to you and me. This one is my pride and joy, BUT, even the small lockback release close to the butt-end sticking up how it does, DRIVES ME CRAZY! Why did it need to stick up from the spine so much, it very easily could have been a lot more flush with the spine. It's crossed my mind to grind it down more flush, but I don't want to risk making it worse and ruining my knife. As much as this bugs me, I still love this knife and would NEVER part with it! 8)
WIN_20210424_14_21_59_Pro.jpg
WIN_20210424_14_22_40_Pro.jpg
8)
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

Such a huge back lock would probably drive me crazy, too. Otherwise, it's a great-looking knife.
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Dan In MI wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:10 am Such a huge back lock would probably drive me crazy, too. Otherwise, it's a great-looking knife.
Thanks Dan. ::handshake:: I've seen lockbacks where the lever is completely flush or level with the spine, for the life of me I can't figure out why my knife wasn't built like that. ::shrug:: See pictures. 8)
WIN_20210424_19_41_22_Pro.jpg
WIN_20210424_19_41_31_Pro.jpg
8)
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Interesting takes on how some use knives for comfort, like a worry stone or something. I first thought I didn't have any comfort knives because I don't use any particular knives for that in my mind. However, I do rub, coon finger, chicken eye, admire, examine, go over in detail etc. and enjoy ALL the knives I carry daily at this stage of life. There isn't a day that goes by where I don't admire the design and craftsmanship, the beauty and elegance, the materials or satisfying workings that are engineered into a good pocket knife. I used to carry SAKs and Kershaw Chills and cheap, inexpensive knives for utility only. I did not really ever coon finger, rub, admire, fawn over, drool on them. Wasn't what it was about to me. A plain black SAK or Chill is nice, but it's not pretty like jewelry or a nice watch or an accessory. It was only when Q got me dabbling and pursuing, then lusting after and eventually addicted to old traditionals and GECs that it all changed. Then I was no longer content to carry a SAK or a Chill because while those are great knives and did everything I ever wanted or needed, they did not strike me or my eye or make me take a second look and really admire like a piece of jewelry. Guess I'm a knife snob now because I still have the old SAKs and will keep them for nostalgia. But I don't carry them because GEC, Northwoods, vintage Case red bone etc. have spoiled me and ruined me and now I only carry knives that to me are great to look at too. They don't cut any better, but they dang sure look a whole lot better and I like it when someone notices my knives and comments about the good looks. They never did about my SAKs or Chills. My 2 cents anyway.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Ivoryman wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:45 am Interesting takes on how some use knives for comfort, like a worry stone or something. I first thought I didn't have any comfort knives because I don't use any particular knives for that in my mind. However, I do rub, coon finger, chicken eye, admire, examine, go over in detail etc. and enjoy ALL the knives I carry daily at this stage of life. There isn't a day that goes by where I don't admire the design and craftsmanship, the beauty and elegance, the materials or satisfying workings that are engineered into a good pocket knife. I used to carry SAKs and Kershaw Chills and cheap, inexpensive knives for utility only. I did not really ever coon finger, rub, admire, fawn over, drool on them. Wasn't what it was about to me. A plain black SAK or Chill is nice, but it's not pretty like jewelry or a nice watch or an accessory. It was only when Q got me dabbling and pursuing, then lusting after and eventually addicted to old traditionals and GECs that it all changed. Then I was no longer content to carry a SAK or a Chill because while those are great knives and did everything I ever wanted or needed, they did not strike me or my eye or make me take a second look and really admire like a piece of jewelry. Guess I'm a knife snob now because I still have the old SAKs and will keep them for nostalgia. But I don't carry them because GEC, Northwoods, vintage Case red bone etc. have spoiled me and ruined me and now I only carry knives that to me are great to look at too. They don't cut any better, but they dang sure look a whole lot better and I like it when someone notices my knives and comments about the good looks. They never did about my SAKs or Chills. My 2 cents anyway.
And a fine 2 cents it was Iman! ::tu:: Very well stated. The only actual difference between my original thinking when I started this thread and how you stated things above is, I don't get out too much anymore so I wanted a knife or knives close by me on the table to handle, admire, fondle, etc. many times during the day while I'm at home, and you actually carry your knives out with you to use, handle, admire, fondle, etc. many times during the day while you're on the go.. Same thinking, different locations. I don't find anything wrong with being spoiled about which knives you will carry, it's a fact that not all knives are as good lookin' as others, so if one can afford the higher priced models I say "Go for it!" There's no better feeling than to have someone comment on or compliment a knife I post, it's nice knowing others find the same qualities I like in a knife just as pleasant or desirable as I do. The same as happened to me Iman, some knives I've posted received NO comments or compliments, yet others have been coveted by folks viewing them. It's very simply, some knives are FAR better looking than others, and that will never change! 8)
8)
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Agreed Marco, absolutely. But I don't think it takes high dollar or expensive knives to be beautiful. Years ago I wouldn't pay more than about $75 for a knife, and bought many in the $30-60 range that I still have today because they are beauties and some of them are prettier than knives I have twice, three times, or four times the price. Back then I bought many GEC in the $60-70 range too, but obviously those days are gone. There has been an increase in popularity of the traditionals, especially GEC, old Case red bone and Schrade peach seed and old Rogers bone etc, I know, and realize those knives go for much more than $30-60. Increased demand for short, shrinking supply makes prices soar. It's happening. But a lot of my inexpensive knives that I carry, you might be surprised how little I paid. Maybe those days are gone, your results may vary. Thanks again and good thread.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

You're right, the price of a knife has little to do with how good it looks, I should have stated that a bit differently. Some of my cheaper models are and always will be much more attractive than models I've paid-up for. Case in point, my Ganzo F707 is a $25. knife, and it looks and feels as good if not better than my Pro-Tech "Don", which, if I'd had to pay retail would have run me $300. This raises an interesting point, who designed and marketed their knife first, Ganzo, or Pro-Tech? I'll have to do some research to see if I can find out! 8)
8)
Samb

Post by Samb »

I'd bet on Pro-Tec.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Samb wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:08 pm I'd bet on Pro-Tec.
Using Google Search Sam, the only info I could find states that Pro-Tech has been producing knives since 1999, and all Ganzo stated was "sometime during the 1990's", so at this point it's still a toss-up ::shrug:: who built their model first. 8)
8)
Samb

Post by Samb »

I don't think the Chinese invented anything but opium.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

I got this big slip-joint folder today, after it was released by Customs on appeal, and it's gonna bring me some comfort due to 2 other knives in the same package being kept and destroyed as "Gravity" knives. This one is a 10" oal folder/SS spear-point blade with n/n, NS bolsters, brass pins, and I think Rosewood covers. Weighs a respectable 8 oz.'s, and came sharpened. It has an etch of a graveyard on the blade, and a stamp of 131 on the bolster, as well as the Frost logo and "Frost Cutlery/Surgical Steel/Japan" tang stamp. Has a solid half-stop, and talks with a loud "clack". Another BIG knife to add to the collection! 8)
WIN_20210517_14_18_12_Pro.jpg
WIN_20210517_14_17_37_Pro.jpg
8)
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

That is a huge knife Mark. It does snap very loud, about as loud as any knife I have ever handled. Glad you finally got this one, you waited a long time for it.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

Madmarco wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 8:04 pm 2 other knives in the same package (were) kept and destroyed as "Gravity" knives.
That's ridiculous. Almost certainly due to an overzealous and/or uninformed customs official. At least that big ol' honkin' folder made its way to you okay.
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 8:34 pm That is a huge knife Mark. It does snap very loud, about as loud as any knife I have ever handled. Glad you finally got this one, you waited a long time for it.
Thanks Mark. I certainly did wait for this one, I only wish the other 2 were in the package as well. 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Dan In MI wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 8:36 pm
Madmarco wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 8:04 pm 2 other knives in the same package (were) kept and destroyed as "Gravity" knives.
That's ridiculous. Almost certainly due to an overzealous and/or uninformed customs official. At least that big ol' honkin' folder made its way to you okay.
There is no other way to describe the Customs situation here Dan than RIDICULOUS!!! I agree that the initial inspection was done by an uninformed rookie agent, but even after appeal they still found the 2 knives were able to be "flicked" open thus classifying them as "Gravity" knives. The entire knife import industry is affected by these idiots, who I have no doubt whatsoever take seized knives and add them to their personal collections, but who has the time, money, and energy to fight the government. Ces' la vie! 8)
8)
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

Madmarco wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 8:04 pm I got this big slip-joint folder today, after it was released by Customs on appeal, and it's gonna bring me some comfort due to 2 other knives in the same package being kept and destroyed as "Gravity" knives. This one is a 10" oal folder/SS spear-point blade with n/n, NS bolsters, brass pins, and I think Rosewood covers. Weighs a respectable 8 oz.'s, and came sharpened. It has an etch of a graveyard on the blade, and a stamp of 131 on the bolster, as well as the Frost logo and "Frost Cutlery/Surgical Steel/Japan" tang stamp. Has a solid half-stop, and talks with a loud "clack". Another BIG knife to add to the collection! 8)WIN_20210517_14_18_12_Pro.jpgWIN_20210517_14_17_37_Pro.jpg
::tu:: ::tu:: ::nod:: A Hoss!!
Sometimes I Sit and Think ::hmm:: .... Other times I just Sit
I May Grow Older, But I refuse to Grow Up!!
I'll sharpen it for you, but I don't give out band-aids!!

Smitty
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Thanks Smitty! ::handshake:: 8)
8)
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

Madmarco wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 8:52 pm
There is no other way to describe the Customs situation here Dan than RIDICULOUS!!! I agree that the initial inspection was done by an uninformed rookie agent, but even after appeal they still found the 2 knives were able to be "flicked" open thus classifying them as "Gravity" knives. The entire knife import industry is affected by these idiots, who I have no doubt whatsoever take seized knives and add them to their personal collections, but who has the time, money, and energy to fight the government. Ces' la vie! 8)
Mark,glad that one of them made it to you. Government is something else heh! Hang in there friend, and that is a dandy folder ::tu:: .
JP
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Ripster wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 1:38 am
Madmarco wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 8:52 pm
Mark,glad that one of them made it to you. Government is something else heh! Hang in there friend, and that is a dandy folder ::tu:: .
Thanks for your encouraging words J.P., and the comments on my knife. I'm happy I received the big Frost, but there was a really nice Rigid and a beautiful AGR 1-hander also in the package, and those two will go directly into the inspecting agent's personal knife collection, or actually get destroyed, which is a crying shame. Just gotta put it behind me and carry-on!(No pun intended!) 8)
8)
toomanyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by toomanyknives »

You win Marco! "That's not a knife, THIS is a knife"... ::woot::
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Sorry for the loss of your knives to Customs Marco.

Today, I am taking comfort in this Bull Dog Whittler. A favorite of mine.
P1040047 (2).JPG
P1040048 (2).JPG
toomanyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by toomanyknives »

Quick Steel wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 12:44 pm Sorry for the loss of your knives to Customs Marco.

Today, I am taking comfort in this Bull Dog Whittler. A favorite of mine.

P1040047 (2).JPGP1040048 (2).JPG
That's a real beauty, QS! ::tu::
toomanyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by toomanyknives »

Madmarco wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 8:04 pm I got this big slip-joint folder today, after it was released by Customs on appeal, and it's gonna bring me some comfort due to 2 other knives in the same package being kept and destroyed as "Gravity" knives. This one is a 10" oal folder/SS spear-point blade with n/n, NS bolsters, brass pins, and I think Rosewood covers. Weighs a respectable 8 oz.'s, and came sharpened. It has an etch of a graveyard on the blade, and a stamp of 131 on the bolster, as well as the Frost logo and "Frost Cutlery/Surgical Steel/Japan" tang stamp. Has a solid half-stop, and talks with a loud "clack". Another BIG knife to add to the collection! 8)WIN_20210517_14_18_12_Pro.jpgWIN_20210517_14_17_37_Pro.jpg
Sorry about that unfortunate situation, Marco. Government, sheesh... ::facepalm::
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Thanks for the comment tmk.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

toomanyknives wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 2:33 am You win Marco! "That's not a knife, THIS is a knife"... ::woot::
Yah it sure is a big old hoss Kerry. It kindda reminds me of a large cotton sampler, although it's coffin shape likely denotes something else. 8)
8)

Return to “General Knife Discussion”