Comfort Knives!

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
samb1955

Re: Comfort Knives!

Post by samb1955 »

Like that one! Looks like our taste in knives are very similar.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

You've mentioned that before Sam, and I completely agree with you now, just like I did then! All I can make of it is that great minds think alike! 8)
8)
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

Afternoon , thought would throw this one at you all, got it from bro in law for a gift. Take it out occasionally when riding as it’s a boot knife, which like to carry when out on motorcycle. Have sliced some Salami and cheese with it , but that’s it, it came sharp,and is holding a good edge .
Hope you all are doing well , and staying safe and warm !
Attachments
BE5DD4A2-62EB-4417-9514-978BE775C724.jpeg
BCACE673-8257-470A-84E7-945E2AABA800.jpeg
JP
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Nice boot dagger J.P.! I've watched these for quite awhile, but am yet to pull the trigger for one. Every time I go to place the order I find something I like even more, so this knife keeps gett'n bumped, but I have faith in me, and I'll get one sooner or later. Perfect knife for the boot while out crusi'n on your scoot! I also spotted your tube of Q.R. oil, a knife's best friend! I'm noticing that many of the knives you're posting are models that I also like, so, as Samb1955 would say, "seems like our knife tastes are much the same"! Thanks for posting it! 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

I'm almost certain that I haven't posted this knife in this thread before now, but if it turns out I'm not as certain as I think I am and you've already seen it here, I apologize, there's just too many pages to go through every time I go to post to check if it's a double-up. This knife is the Helden Rand version of the Mercator Black Cat K55 humpback knives, and is 8 1/8" oal from tip to end of bail about 1/2" longer than a Mercator, although, I don't know if Kauffmann included the bail in their length/SS spear-point blade, 2-piece black aluminum body, SS pins and bail, no liners, and front tang stamp of "HELDEN RAND". Weighs a scant 2.6 oz.'s, and came factory sharp. Walks open smoothly, and snaps like a gator when it talks! These are solid knives that I don't think are appreciated nearly enough, and I really like em'! 8)
WIN_20210217_14_10_42_Pro.jpg
8)
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Ripster wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:25 pm Afternoon , thought would throw this one at you all, got it from bro in law for a gift. Take it out occasionally when riding as it’s a boot knife, which like to carry when out on motorcycle. Have sliced some Salami and cheese with it , but that’s it, it came sharp,and is holding a good edge .
I can't take my eyes off those Camillus beauties in the back ground, all covered up and begging to be laid bare. Wow, would love to see them all lined up exposed. Beautiful.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
CluelessNick
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by CluelessNick »

Madmarco wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:30 pm I'm almost certain that I haven't posted this knife in this thread before now, but if it turns out I'm not as certain as I think I am and you've already seen it here, I apologize, there's just too many pages to go through every time I go to post to check if it's a double-up. This knife is the Helden Rand version of the Mercator Black Cat K55 humpback knives, and is 8 1/8" oal from tip to end of bail about 1/2" longer than a Mercator, although, I don't know if Kauffmann included the bail in their length/SS spear-point blade, 2-piece black aluminum body, SS pins and bail, no liners, and front tang stamp of "HELDEN RAND". Weighs a scant 2.6 oz.'s, and came factory sharp. Walks open smoothly, and snaps like a gator when it talks! These are solid knives that I don't think are appreciated nearly enough, and I really like em'! 8)WIN_20210217_14_10_42_Pro.jpg
Nice knife Mark. Really enjoy seeing what you come up with each day and probably wouldn't know if it was posted before or not. You always post knives that I have never seen before. thanks--Nick
CluelessNick
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by CluelessNick »

Ripster wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:25 pm Afternoon , thought would throw this one at you all, got it from bro in law for a gift. Take it out occasionally when riding as it’s a boot knife, which like to carry when out on motorcycle. Have sliced some Salami and cheese with it , but that’s it, it came sharp,and is holding a good edge .
great photo with those beauties in the background
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Thank you Nick! ::handshake:: Glad to see you're fitting right in! 8)
8)
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

Madmarco wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:30 pm I'm almost certain that I haven't posted this knife in this thread before now, but if it turns out I'm not as certain as I think I am and you've already seen it here, I apologize, there's just too many pages to go through every time I go to post to check if it's a double-up. This knife is the Helden Rand version of the Mercator Black Cat K55 humpback knives, and is 8 1/8" oal from tip to end of bail about 1/2" longer than a Mercator, although, I don't know if Kauffmann included the bail in their length/SS spear-point blade, 2-piece black aluminum body, SS pins and bail, no liners, and front tang stamp of "HELDEN RAND". Weighs a scant 2.6 oz.'s, and came factory sharp. Walks open smoothly, and snaps like a gator when it talks! These are solid knives that I don't think are appreciated nearly enough, and I really like em'! 8)WIN_20210217_14_10_42_Pro.jpg
Very nice Marc. I've known a couple of people that have had both. Also I believe a couple years ago Kriegar started producing a reproduction of the Helden Rand Kat. I believe their version was around 4-1/4" closed and has a 3-1/2" drop point blade. Can't remember where they were being made, but figured it may be in an Oriental Country.
Sometimes I Sit and Think ::hmm:: .... Other times I just Sit
I May Grow Older, But I refuse to Grow Up!!
I'll sharpen it for you, but I don't give out band-aids!!

Smitty
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Papa Bones wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:51 pm
Very nice Marc. I've known a couple of people that have had both. Also I believe a couple years ago Kriegar started producing a reproduction of the Helden Rand Kat. I believe their version was around 4-1/4" closed and has a 3-1/2" drop point blade. Can't remember where they were being made, but figured it may be in an Oriental Country.
Thanks for that additional info Smitty! I've recently seen the Merc's with dark walnut and smoked oak covers, and they are gorgeous, one of those will definitely be a future acquisition, although, they're a bit up there in price. Will likely wait for the "newness" to wear off and let the price come down. Great to see you over here on this thread, and please feel free to post some of your favorites! Mark! 8)
8)
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

Ivoryman wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:34 pm
I can't take my eyes off those Camillus beauties in the back ground, all covered up and begging to be laid bare. Wow, would love to see them all lined up exposed. Beautiful.
Here you go IMAN , just got done oiling em up and thought be a good time for a group pic for you. The 72 is one nice fitting and looking piece , and the Camillus bone in the short line is some of the best in my book . Thanks for all the nice cutlery you’ve shown !! .
Have a good one .
Attachments
9CA65F5D-3BEF-4B89-86AA-F7BD1321AB60.jpeg
540F450A-6384-466E-A195-C876145AA65C.jpeg
JP
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

CluelessNick wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:20 pm
great photo with those beauties in the background
Thanks Nick, took awhile to get them in this shape,but worth it. ::tu::
JP
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

JP, those are special. ::tu:: ::tu::
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Very handsome group J.P.! ::tu:: Congrats! 8)
8)
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Here you go IMAN , just got done oiling em up and thought be a good time for a group pic for you. The 72 is one nice fitting and looking piece , and the Camillus bone in the short line is some of the best in my book . Thanks for all the nice cutlery you’ve shown !! .
Have a good one .
[/quote]

Thanks a bunch, that's really a great line up. We see a lot of those around here and that's the best looking group shot I can remember. Great colors. Thanks again.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
toomanyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by toomanyknives »

Some great looking knives there, gentlemen!
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Some mighty fine Iron you boys are showing off today, mighty fine. My favorite tis yer boot dagger JP, lines just perfect on that Schrade... ::tu::
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Madmarco wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:40 am Well guys, I'm posting late today because what started out as a wonderful day did a complete turnaround and became a nightmare! I went to the mailbox this morning expecting to see a package that's on the way from Mark at SSk, but instead there was a package that I wasn't expecting for awhile yet, and 1 single envelope. In the package was the knife I'm posting today, and it comes with quite a story. I had spotted the knife on this forum when it was posted by another member in 2018, and it was one of those knives that "ya just gotta have", so I messaged the owner asking if it might be for sale. He said that he hadn't thought of the knife in awhile and he had no special attachment to it, and that he'd look for the receipt so he could give me an accurate price. Some time passed and I hadn't heard from him, so I messaged him again. About 2 weeks later he sent me a message stating he would sell the knife for $150./shipped, along with some pictures. I agreed to his terms and we set a date to do the transaction. The day before we were to do the deal I messaged him just to be sure everything was on track, but got no reply. Suffice to say the deal fell through and I began a search on ebay for one. I found one almost immediately but the price was out of my league, so I sent the seller an offer which he immediately accepted. This really surprised me and I realized I'd need to do some financial shuffling to pay for it, which I did successfully. I paid for the order and it arrived today, much to my excitement. I opened the package and was enjoying my new knife when I remembered the envelope. I opened it only to find a "Notice of Seizure" from Customs for my package from Mark. They claimed that all 3 knives enclosed had "index flippers"(I don't know what those are either)when in fact 2 knives have thumb-studs, and the 3rd has nothing more than a nail-nic, all 100% legal to import into Canada. I can appeal their decision, which I will, although, I don't have a lot of confidence in government officials that can't even distinguish a thumb-stud from a flipper. That fact may actually be to my benefit because when they're reviewing the claim they will see that the 3rd knife doesn't even have a thumb-stud, so perhaps they will rule in my favor by realizing their agent needs some work on his assessment of knives. I'll let ya know when it's all settled. Now, the knife! It's a genuine prototype of a knife that was commissioned by Blackjack Knives to be built in Seki, Japan but never was. There was paperwork in the package from Jemmy Iwahara from Japanese Knives Direct, the same fella that Mark(SSk)deals with, stating the knife is a proto that never went into production, there were only a few made and were made by hand, and that the knife is very rare. I'm going to contact Jemmy to see if he can tell me anymore about the knife because, the tang stamp on mine and the copy from the deal that fell through is "FLT-1", but, I found another copy on ebay that has a tang stamp of the official Blackjack logo, and an asking price of US$1498., so I'd like to know why the 2 are different and who exactly built them. So, what was shaping up to be a stellar day ended up being just an O.K. day. The trails and tribulations of a Canadian knife enthusiast! Here are the specs! It's an 8 3/8" oal linerlock/SS dagger blade with stud, NS bolsters, brass liners, and black ringed micarta covers. Just a gorgeous knife that I'm very pleased to own! If you click-on a picture once it will open in an expanded window, and if you click-on it again it will magnify so you can read the paperwork and see the tang stamp! 8)
WIN_20210215_13_24_56_Pro.jpgWIN_20210215_13_25_19_Pro.jpgWIN_20210215_13_25_45_Pro.jpgWIN_20210215_19_31_18_Pro.jpg
It was too late to edit my OP guys, but I got a bit more info on my B/J proto! Jemmy said that he couldn't explain the different tang stamps but they usually didn't stamp their protos although he really can't recall from over 30 years ago, the knives were built by Mr. Noda whom I'm assuming is/was a renowned Japanese maker, and value is what current collectors would value it at. So, not a lot more to go on, but suffice to say the knife is staying with me under any and all circumstances! 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Well guys, I dug out this big ole' Japanese tanto folder as my comfort knife for today! This one is totally unmarked, although, I was told by the fella I bought it from that he bought it in England over 30 years ago and he believed it was built in Japan. It's an 11 3/4" oal lockback/SS tanto blade with the nail-nick positioned directly adjacent to the finger choil on the handle, NS ornately engraved with a dragon bolsters, brass pins, no liners, and jet-black ABS covers with deep grooves for gripping. Fairly heavy at about 8 oz.'s, and the blade came oiled and sharp. This was 1 of the 1st knives I purchased about 2 years ago, and it's the one that got me started on wanting to acquire as many different knives from around the world as I could find, and afford. It's definitely a showpiece knife, although, if so desired it would make an excellent user since it's so solid, albeit a bit big for the pocket! 8)
WIN_20210218_14_41_15_Pro.jpg
8)
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

Ripster wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:56 am
Have a good one .
Simply awesome J.P. ::tu:: ::tu::

Smitty
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

Madmarco wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:43 pm Well guys, I dug out this big ole' Japanese tanto folder as my comfort knife for today! This one is totally unmarked, although, I was told by the fella I bought it from that he bought it in England over 30 years ago and he believed it was built in Japan. It's an 11 3/4" oal lockback/SS tanto blade with the nail-nick positioned directly adjacent to the finger choil on the handle, NS ornately engraved with a dragon bolsters, brass pins, no liners, and jet-black ABS covers with deep grooves for gripping. Fairly heavy at about 8 oz.'s, and the blade came oiled and sharp. This was 1 of the 1st knives I purchased about 2 years ago, and it's the one that got me started on wanting to acquire as many different knives from around the world as I could find, and afford. It's definitely a showpiece knife, although, if so desired it would make an excellent user since it's so solid, albeit a bit big for the pocket! 8) WIN_20210218_14_41_15_Pro.jpg
That is a Hoss of a knife. Very ornate bolsters, and I like how they molded the traditional hilt braids in the handles. I've always liked the tanto design.

Smitty
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Thanks Smitty! ::handshake:: I really like the tanto blades too, and, you've taught me the proper name for what I was calling grooves, "hilt braids", thank you for that! 8)
8)
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

Madmarco wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:22 pm Thanks Smitty! ::handshake:: I really like the tanto blades too, and, you've taught me the proper name for what I was calling grooves, "hilt braids", thank you for that! 8)
That’s a lot of knive! And that Tanto blade is blinking cool ,like it ::tu::
Lot of neat stuff been shown here, been interesting.
Thanks all for the comments on pics, been fun .
Stay in the Comfort Zone Mark ,thanks for a neat thread ::handshake:: .
JP
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Ripster wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:11 pm
Madmarco wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:22 pm Thanks Smitty! ::handshake:: I really like the tanto blades too, and, you've taught me the proper name for what I was calling grooves, "hilt braids", thank you for that! 8)
That’s a lot of knive! And that Tanto blade is blinking cool ,like it ::tu::
Lot of neat stuff been shown here, been interesting.
Thanks all for the comments on pics, been fun .
Stay in the Comfort Zone Mark ,thanks for a neat thread ::handshake:: .
Thanks J.P.! ::handshake:: Yes, that tanto surely is a big one! ::uc:: And thank you for your posts, I've enjoyed them equally too! Don't be a stranger, I have all my fixed blades to post yet! And I'm ALWAYS in the Comfort Zone J.P., I tried uncomfortable and didn't like it much! 8)
8)

Return to “General Knife Discussion”