Comfort Knives!

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Comfort Knives!

Post by Madmarco »

toomanyknives wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:55 am
Madmarco wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:17 am I've been waiting 32 days for my last 3 of 25 knives I've bought or received through Mark at SSk over the past few months, and after more Customs B.S. they finally got here! I'll post one-a-day over the next 3 days. First up is a 7 3/8" oal Puma Medici swinguard lockback/SS dagger blade with n/n, NS bolsters and guards, brass liners and pins, and beautiful genuine stag covers. Has a comfortable weight of about 3.1 oz.'s, and arrived extremely sharp. It shows Puma markings, and was built in Germany. I have admired these knives for quite some time, and now finally own one. There are builders who convert these to automatics, and it amazes me how they got the firing mechanism under that skinny little cover! 8)WIN_20210601_19_30_03_Pro.jpgWIN_20210601_19_29_39_Pro.jpg
That one was worth the wait, Marco! Glad you finally got it!! Hope all is well! ::tu::
Thanks Kerry! Yes, that knife was definitely worth the wait. They are on Ebay with asking prices of US$300.-$500. for some, and I got really lucky finding this one for only $150, and, it's one that was made in Germany. I'm very pleased with it! All IS well, and I hope the same is so for you! ::tu:: 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

This is the 3rd of 3 recent acquisitions from Mark over at SSk, and it's one beautiful knife! It's a 7 1/2" oal Hiro designed Moki Kaicut lockback/SS drop-point blade with n/n and jigging on the tang, NS bolsters liners and pins, and gorgeous Sandalwood covers. Has an approximate weight of about 5 oz.'s, and came amazingly sharp. It shows Moki and Hiro markings, and was built in Japan. The fit n' finish is up to Moki standards, and it walks n' talks smoothly and tight. An all round fabulous folder! 8)
WIN_20210601_19_31_54_Pro.jpg
WIN_20210601_19_31_43_Pro.jpg
8)
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

Madmarco wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:42 pm This is the 3rd of 3 recent acquisitions from Mark over at SSk, and it's one beautiful knife! It's a 7 1/2" oal Hiro designed Moki Kaicut lockback/SS drop-point blade with n/n and jigging on the tang, NS bolsters liners and pins, and gorgeous Sandalwood covers. Has an approximate weight of about 5 oz.'s, and came amazingly sharp. It shows Moki and Hiro markings, and was built in Japan. The fit n' finish is up to Moki standards, and it walks n' talks smoothly and tight. An all round fabulous folder! 8)WIN_20210601_19_31_54_Pro.jpgWIN_20210601_19_31_43_Pro.jpg
::tu:: ::tu:: Very nice Marc. The symmetry of it's design on profile just flows. Very pleasing look to it. Congrats.
Sometimes I Sit and Think ::hmm:: .... Other times I just Sit
I May Grow Older, But I refuse to Grow Up!!
I'll sharpen it for you, but I don't give out band-aids!!

Smitty
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Papa Bones wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:57 am
Madmarco wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:42 pm This is the 3rd of 3 recent acquisitions from Mark over at SSk, and it's one beautiful knife! It's a 7 1/2" oal Hiro designed Moki Kaicut lockback/SS drop-point blade with n/n and jigging on the tang, NS bolsters liners and pins, and gorgeous Sandalwood covers. Has an approximate weight of about 5 oz.'s, and came amazingly sharp. It shows Moki and Hiro markings, and was built in Japan. The fit n' finish is up to Moki standards, and it walks n' talks smoothly and tight. An all round fabulous folder! 8)WIN_20210601_19_31_54_Pro.jpgWIN_20210601_19_31_43_Pro.jpg
::tu:: ::tu:: Very nice Marc. The symmetry of it's design on profile just flows. Very pleasing look to it. Congrats.
Thanks Smitty. That's what attracted me to that knife too, the way the blade just flow into the handle in one smooth line. It is very comfortable to hold, and looking at it never gets old. 8)
8)
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Hey Mark!! 👍💎👍
John ✌️
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Marco, the curve of that handle is positively erotic. :shock:
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

jmh58 wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:51 pm Hey Mark!! 👍💎👍
John ✌️
Hey John! ::tu:: Thanks! ::handshake:: 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Quick Steel wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:37 pm Marco, the curve of that handle is positively erotic. :shock:
Excellent description Garry! ::tu:: I was looking for a word that described how it looks and erotic is perfect! Thanks! 8)
8)
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

Dang Mark, that is a beauty ::tu:: ::tu::
Looking at it I just want to feel it in my hand,well done. ::handshake::
JP
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Mark, that Kai is still one of the best knives I’ve ever had the privilege of owning. It is a beauty. Plus the design makes me think of the many tasks that knife could perform. When you can see the jobs a knife can do just from the looks of it, you know they did a great job designing that knife.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Ripster wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:05 am
Dang Mark, that is a beauty ::tu:: ::tu::
Looking at it I just want to feel it in my hand,well done. ::handshake::
Thank you so much J.P.! ::handshake:: When you pick-up and grip that knife it slides right into your palm and feels like an extension of your hand, sooooo comfortable! 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:14 am Mark, that Kai is still one of the best knives I’ve ever had the privilege of owning. It is a beauty. Plus the design makes me think of the many tasks that knife could perform. When you can see the jobs a knife can do just from the looks of it, you know they did a great job designing that knife.
Thanks Mark. ::handshake:: I know what that knife means to you, and it will be very well cared for while in my possession. As useful as it likely is, I wouldn't dream of using it and risk ruining it's gorgeous appearance. 8)
8)
Challenger007

Post by Challenger007 »

Madmarco wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:25 pm
Challenger007 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:30 am
Madmarco wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:17 am I've been waiting 32 days for my last 3 of 25 knives I've bought or received through Mark at SSk over the past few months, and after more Customs B.S. they finally got here! I'll post one-a-day over the next 3 days. First up is a 7 3/8" oal Puma Medici swinguard lockback/SS dagger blade with n/n, NS bolsters and guards, brass liners and pins, and beautiful genuine stag covers. Has a comfortable weight of about 3.1 oz.'s, and arrived extremely sharp. It shows Puma markings, and was built in Germany. I have admired these knives for quite some time, and now finally own one. There are builders who convert these to automatics, and it amazes me how they got the firing mechanism under that skinny little cover! 8)WIN_20210601_19_30_03_Pro.jpgWIN_20210601_19_29_39_Pro.jpg
Looks great. It is interesting to see pictures of other knives that you have purchased.
Thanks 007! ::handshake:: I see by the number of posts you've made that you're fairly new here, so, ::welcome:: to AAPK! If you'd like to view ALL my knives they can be seen in the "Some of my autos" thread in the Switchblade Knife Collectors forum, the "My manual folders" thread in the European and Other Foreign Manufactured" forum, and the "Some of mine" thread in the Fixed Blade forum. You'll see some beautiful knives! Please show us some of what you have! 8)
Hello. Yes, I'm with you not so long ago. There isn't much to brag about, I don't have a collection of knives yet, but I'm on my way to that. Recently I found a couple of interesting things no I-Bay, now I'm waiting for the parcel.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Challenger007 wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:47 am
Madmarco wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:25 pm
Challenger007 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:30 am

Looks great. It is interesting to see pictures of other knives that you have purchased.
Thanks 007! ::handshake:: I see by the number of posts you've made that you're fairly new here, so, ::welcome:: to AAPK! If you'd like to view ALL my knives they can be seen in the "Some of my autos" thread in the Switchblade Knife Collectors forum, the "My manual folders" thread in the European and Other Foreign Manufactured" forum, and the "Some of mine" thread in the Fixed Blade forum. You'll see some beautiful knives! Please show us some of what you have! 8)
Hello. Yes, I'm with you not so long ago. There isn't much to brag about, I don't have a collection of knives yet, but I'm on my way to that. Recently I found a couple of interesting things no I-Bay, now I'm waiting for the parcel.
Thanks for your reply 007! ::handshake:: Please remember, this is not a contest about who has the most or who has the nicest knives, we all started with just 1 knife and slowly accumulated more of the one's we like the most. Many of my knives have come from Ebay, but as you go along you'll find lots of other places to purchase from, this site being one of those places. I have made many trouble-free buys from sellers at AAPK, and those knives now constitute a fair portion of my overall collection. As time goes on you'll find yourself in one of 3 categories, a collector who collects only certain brands, or an accumulator who collects many different brands, or, you may find yourself doing a bit of both, it's entirely up to you. The point is, you're having fun and totally enjoying all aspects of the hobby! Please post your knives for us to see, because WE LOVE PICS! They don't have to be expensive high-end knives, just the one's you like, we promise we won't laugh! I've posted knives that some folks wouldn't be caught dead with, but they were all accepted and commented on, so don't be shy and show us what you've got! Mark! 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

This knife came brand new to me this morning so naturally it's today's Comfort Knife! It's a Cold Steel "Paradox" slip-joint that measures 12" oal/SS spear-point blade with top swedge, SS handles with through holes, pocket-clip, and a unique open/close system. It weighs about 8 oz.'s, and came well sharpened. Shows C/S markings and was built in Taiwan. The f n' f is perfect, and it walks open silky-smooth with closing talk that will take your fingertips if not careful. To look at this knife one immediately thinks "balisong", but that's where the comparison ends. To expose the blade you must grip the handle on both sides and pull them away from the blade and fold them closed(See pics!)much the same as a regular balisong except it must be done manually instead of by centrifugal force. This one is a great example of C/S's commitment to building big ole' knives and will fit in nicely with my other unusual folders! 8)
WIN_20210708_09_59_25_Pro.jpg
WIN_20210708_09_57_15_Pro.jpg
WIN_20210708_10_00_06_Pro.jpg
WIN_20210708_09_56_28_Pro.jpg
8)
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

I thought it was a balisong until I read a little. Sounds like it opens much like the pliers on a Leatherman. Very cool!
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

Madmarco wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:31 pm This knife came brand new to me this morning so naturally it's today's Comfort Knife! It's a Cold Steel "Paradox" slip-joint that measures 12" oal/SS spear-point blade with top swedge, SS handles with through holes, pocket-clip, and a unique open/close system. It weighs about 8 oz.'s, and came well sharpened. Shows C/S markings and was built in Taiwan. The f n' f is perfect, and it walks open silky-smooth with closing talk that will take your fingertips if not careful. To look at this knife one immediately thinks "balisong", but that's where the comparison ends. To expose the blade you must grip the handle on both sides and pull them away from the blade and fold them closed(See pics!)much the same as a regular balisong except it must be done manually instead of by centrifugal force. This one is a great example of C/S's commitment to building big ole' knives and will fit in nicely with my other unusual folders! 8)WIN_20210708_09_59_25_Pro.jpgWIN_20210708_09_57_15_Pro.jpgWIN_20210708_10_00_06_Pro.jpgWIN_20210708_09_56_28_Pro.jpg
Good looking piece Marc. Many moons ago when I was in Thailand I saw some very similar to yours that were manual opening, but different style handles. The Balisong everyone called Butterfly's. The ones similar to yours except with different handles, they called Bookers. The handles were made from some kind of wood and the edges were grooved. When folded close, the grooved edges looked similar to the page end of a closed book.

Smitty
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Dan In MI wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:40 pm I thought it was a balisong until I read a little. Sounds like it opens much like the pliers on a Leatherman. Very cool!
Thanks Dan. I think your comparison to a Leatherman is the most accurate I've heard so far, that pretty much describes it. 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Papa Bones wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:58 pm
Madmarco wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:31 pm This knife came brand new to me this morning so naturally it's today's Comfort Knife! It's a Cold Steel "Paradox" slip-joint that measures 12" oal/SS spear-point blade with top swedge, SS handles with through holes, pocket-clip, and a unique open/close system. It weighs about 8 oz.'s, and came well sharpened. Shows C/S markings and was built in Taiwan. The f n' f is perfect, and it walks open silky-smooth with closing talk that will take your fingertips if not careful. To look at this knife one immediately thinks "balisong", but that's where the comparison ends. To expose the blade you must grip the handle on both sides and pull them away from the blade and fold them closed(See pics!)much the same as a regular balisong except it must be done manually instead of by centrifugal force. This one is a great example of C/S's commitment to building big ole' knives and will fit in nicely with my other unusual folders! 8)WIN_20210708_09_59_25_Pro.jpgWIN_20210708_09_57_15_Pro.jpgWIN_20210708_10_00_06_Pro.jpgWIN_20210708_09_56_28_Pro.jpg
Good looking piece Marc. Many moons ago when I was in Thailand I saw some very similar to yours that were manual opening, but different style handles. The Balisong everyone called Butterfly's. The ones similar to yours except with different handles, they called Bookers. The handles were made from some kind of wood and the edges were grooved. When folded close, the grooved edges looked similar to the page end of a closed book.
Thank you Smitty. The pieces you saw in Thailand sound really cool, and since that's where they originated they're very likely quality balisong knives. I don't actually own ANY balisongs, because when I gave some thought to becoming involved with them I realized they're a whole other addiction and my stilettos keep me busy enough. 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

I had a bit of a surprise when I got today's mail and found this knife in my box. I was surprised because of the way this knife operates I thought I might lose it to Customs, but after the trouble I had figuring out exactly how it works I doubt they even figured out how to open it. It's a CRKT Kommer Compact 2 Fulcrum-Release linerlock, and it's 6 1/2" oal/black coated SS drop-point blade, SS cross-cut textured bolsters, blue and white translucent covers, screw construction, and a pocket-clip. Has a nice weight of 2.5 oz.'s, and arrived very sharp. It shows CRKT markings and patent number. To release the blade you must push forward on the front cover and the blade will propel out of the channel about 25%, and from there you pull back on the same cover and the blade flies up and open into the locking position. To close you simply push the single-liner to the side and the blade unlocks and closes. I've included pics trying to show the process. Another for my "Unusual" crew! 8)
WIN_20210709_13_36_48_Pro.jpg
The knife completely closed.
WIN_20210709_13_37_35_Pro.jpg
The blade propelled out 25%.
WIN_20210709_13_38_45_Pro.jpg
The cover being pulled back to finish the opening process.
WIN_20210709_13_40_05_Pro.jpg
The single-liner depressed to unlock the blade and close.
WIN_20210709_13_40_27_Pro.jpg
Back in the fully closed position. Pretty cool, huh!
8)
CluelessNick
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by CluelessNick »

Ivoryman wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:45 am Interesting takes on how some use knives for comfort, like a worry stone or something. I first thought I didn't have any comfort knives because I don't use any particular knives for that in my mind. However, I do rub, coon finger, chicken eye, admire, examine, go over in detail etc. and enjoy ALL the knives I carry daily at this stage of life. There isn't a day that goes by where I don't admire the design and craftsmanship, the beauty and elegance, the materials or satisfying workings that are engineered into a good pocket knife. I used to carry SAKs and Kershaw Chills and cheap, inexpensive knives for utility only. I did not really ever coon finger, rub, admire, fawn over, drool on them. Wasn't what it was about to me. A plain black SAK or Chill is nice, but it's not pretty like jewelry or a nice watch or an accessory. It was only when Q got me dabbling and pursuing, then lusting after and eventually addicted to old traditionals and GECs that it all changed. Then I was no longer content to carry a SAK or a Chill because while those are great knives and did everything I ever wanted or needed, they did not strike me or my eye or make me take a second look and really admire like a piece of jewelry. Guess I'm a knife snob now because I still have the old SAKs and will keep them for nostalgia. But I don't carry them because GEC, Northwoods, vintage Case red bone etc. have spoiled me and ruined me and now I only carry knives that to me are great to look at too. They don't cut any better, but they dang sure look a whole lot better and I like it when someone notices my knives and comments about the good looks. They never did about my SAKs or Chills. My 2 cents anyway.
Just catching up some of these older posts and this struck me as funny. I carry an old schrade 8OT with bone handles in my left pocket that I bought from Jeffin. I love the feel of it in my hand and am always playing with it. Sometimes I carry a different knife in that pocket. But in my right hand pocket everyday no matter what is a SAK spartan with a serrated blade. I never fondle it or pay any attention to it but when I need to cut something tough or dirty out comes the spartan. I just consider it a tool where as my other carry knives are more for comfort I guess.
CluelessNick
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by CluelessNick »

When I first saw the photo I also thought balisong and my second thought was ole Marco will poke his eye out with that thing. I know I would. Great looking knife. Also love the stag on that Puma.
CluelessNick
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by CluelessNick »

Madmarco wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:09 pm I had a bit of a surprise when I got today's mail and found this knife in my box. I was surprised because of the way this knife operates I thought I might lose it to Customs, but after the trouble I had figuring out exactly how it works I doubt they even figured out how to open it. It's a CRKT Kommer Compact 2 Fulcrum-Release linerlock, and it's 6 1/2" oal/black coated SS drop-point blade, SS cross-cut textured bolsters, blue and white translucent covers, screw construction, and a pocket-clip. Has a nice weight of 2.5 oz.'s, and arrived very sharp. It shows CRKT markings and patent number. To release the blade you must push forward on the front cover and the blade will propel out of the channel about 25%, and from there you pull back on the same cover and the blade flies up and open into the locking position. To close you simply push the single-liner to the side and the blade unlocks and closes. I've included pics trying to show the process. Another for my "Unusual" crew! 8)WIN_20210709_13_36_48_Pro.jpgThe knife completely closed.WIN_20210709_13_37_35_Pro.jpgThe blade propelled out 25%.WIN_20210709_13_38_45_Pro.jpgThe cover being pulled back to finish the opening process.WIN_20210709_13_40_05_Pro.jpgThe single-liner depressed to unlock the blade and close.WIN_20210709_13_40_27_Pro.jpgBack in the fully closed position. Pretty cool, huh!
That's amazing. I'd love to see that knife in action.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Thanks for all your comments Nick. What you described regarding getting comfort from your knives is exactly what I meant when I started this thread, just the feel of a good knife in your pocket brings on feelings of satisfaction and contentment, the weight, the feel of the stag, etc., just makes me comfortable. And your definition between a working knife and a comfort knife is spot-on! That C/S Paradox really IS a big ole' folder and disguising it as a Balisong I thought was brilliant, and if not careful I certainly could poke out an eye, but no such problems so far. As for the Puma Medici stag covers, in the online pics they appeared to be mismatched, but once it arrived I saw they were just about perfectly matched. If you want to see the CRKT in action, just search "CRKT Kommer Compact 2 Fulcrum-release knife" on YouTube and a few vids will come up. Good hearing from you! 8)
8)
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

Madmarco wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:09 pm I had a bit of a surprise when I got today's mail and found this knife in my box. I was surprised because of the way this knife operates I thought I might lose it to Customs, but after the trouble I had figuring out exactly how it works I doubt they even figured out how to open it. It's a CRKT Kommer Compact 2 Fulcrum-Release linerlock, and it's 6 1/2" oal/black coated SS drop-point blade, SS cross-cut textured bolsters, blue and white translucent covers, screw construction, and a pocket-clip. Has a nice weight of 2.5 oz.'s, and arrived very sharp. It shows CRKT markings and patent number. To release the blade you must push forward on the front cover and the blade will propel out of the channel about 25%, and from there you pull back on the same cover and the blade flies up and open into the locking position. To close you simply push the single-liner to the side and the blade unlocks and closes. I've included pics trying to show the process. Another for my "Unusual" crew! 8)WIN_20210709_13_36_48_Pro.jpgThe knife completely closed.WIN_20210709_13_37_35_Pro.jpgThe blade propelled out 25%.WIN_20210709_13_38_45_Pro.jpgThe cover being pulled back to finish the opening process.WIN_20210709_13_40_05_Pro.jpgThe single-liner depressed to unlock the blade and close.WIN_20210709_13_40_27_Pro.jpgBack in the fully closed position. Pretty cool, huh!
Very nice Marc. Those are fun. A friend of mine has one of those. Better not have slippery thumbs.

Smitty

Return to “General Knife Discussion”