Pattern you love, but rarely carry...

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
toomanyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Pattern you love, but rarely carry...

Post by toomanyknives »

Those are killer, bladecollectorr! You are right. Those are eye candy for sure!
Jacknifeben

Post by Jacknifeben »

Nice knives, if I wasn’t to old I think I would expand my collection to Schrade.
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Jacknifeben wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:53 pm Nice knives, if I wasn’t to old I think I would expand my collection to Schrade.
What does age have to do with it? Go for it! Enjoy 'em while you can!!
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
Modern Slip Joints

Post by Modern Slip Joints »

toomanyknives wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:12 am Love y'alls choices, Modern and Jerry. I'm not familiar with a Case 62 pattern, Modern. What kind is that? I like those folding hunters a lot.

Jerry, you know I love the 72 and the 07. They are two of my all time favorites.
Back on page 2 you caught my typo. Most of us know Case's Folding Hunter is their 65. Unfortunately I did not reopen this thread while the opportunity to edit was still available.

Today I'm carrying a knife that I do not even like slightly, a new $10 S&W that is supposed to be spring assisted but the blade is so tight that it has to be opened manually. A minor problem with my dominant side thumb has it in a splint. It's awkward opening my traditional slip joints with my off side hand, hence the S&W. I could dig out my much easier to open Buck Alpha Hunter but I'm cycling the S&W hoping it will loosen up enough to function. If it doesn't it's going back to the retailer. Suckers for $10 knives are smart sticking to ones they can handle before buying or return easily.

I'm thinking about making my back yard belt knife a Folding Hunter for the winter. That won't happen until after the splint is off.
toomanyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by toomanyknives »

Modern Slip Joints wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:31 am
toomanyknives wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:12 am Love y'alls choices, Modern and Jerry. I'm not familiar with a Case 62 pattern, Modern. What kind is that? I like those folding hunters a lot.

Jerry, you know I love the 72 and the 07. They are two of my all time favorites.
Back on page 2 you caught my typo. Most of us know Case's Folding Hunter is their 65. Unfortunately I did not reopen this thread while the opportunity to edit was still available.

Today I'm carrying a knife that I do not even like slightly, a new $10 S&W that is supposed to be spring assisted but the blade is so tight that it has to be opened manually. A minor problem with my dominant side thumb has it in a splint. It's awkward opening my traditional slip joints with my off side hand, hence the S&W. I could dig out my much easier to open Buck Alpha Hunter but I'm cycling the S&W hoping it will loosen up enough to function. If it doesn't it's going back to the retailer. Suckers for $10 knives are smart sticking to ones they can handle before buying or return easily.

I'm thinking about making my back yard belt knife a Folding Hunter for the winter. That won't happen until after the splint is off.
Ahh, gotcha! I had a cheap S&W that I carried a lot a few years ago. It said Made in USA on it. I had my doubts, but it was a great knife until I lost it! I hate when that happens!
Modern Slip Joints

Post by Modern Slip Joints »

The best known of the knives that were actually made by S&W were the Blackie Collins designed series that they made in the 1970s. One of them was a drop point lock back with wood sides. They have a good reputation. From the 1980s on S&W let Taylor use their brand name on knives most of which were made in Pacific rim countries. I do not recall Taylor having any made in the USA but maybe I've forgotten some.

With my off side thumb a small percentage of the time I can give my new S&W assisted opening knife's blade enough momentum to get it to open all the way so maybe I'll be able to make it function after my strong side thumb is healed. I do not expect a whole lot for $10 and it's barely worth the trouble of returning.
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Not really a pattern, but I rarely carry my GEC knives but I'm starting to change that!!
Attachments
20201123_151220.jpg
20201120_144649.jpg
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Scott, that 35 Churchill from 2017 looks like it may have seen some use. True?
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

jerryd6818 wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:54 pm Scott, that 35 Churchill from 2017 looks like it may have seen some use. True?
Key word is "some". Yes sir.
SCOTT

toomanyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by toomanyknives »

TripleF wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:28 am Not really a pattern, but I rarely carry my GEC knives but I'm starting to change that!!
Those are beauties, TripleF!
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

toomanyknives wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:50 pm
TripleF wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:28 am Not really a pattern, but I rarely carry my GEC knives but I'm starting to change that!!
Those are beauties, TripleF!
Thank you sir!! Both were gifts!!!
SCOTT

toomanyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by toomanyknives »

Good friends there, TripleF!

Return to “General Knife Discussion”