Pattern you love, but rarely carry...

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
Old Hunter

Re: Pattern you love, but rarely carry...

Post by Old Hunter »

toomanyknives wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:38 pm Now you've started a whole different part of my brain going, Lansky! I have a ton of knives I won't carry because I'm afraid I'll damage or lose them.
I'd love to see a picture of that single blade 54 Trapper. I like single blade knives. I have a single blade Copperhead that I love.. ::tu::
Different topic for sure. This Buck 301 only gets carried around the house even though it was my first Stockman. It created in me the Stockman bug that still afflicts me today and is the knife that caused me to be a Buck Knife man first and foremost. My late Grandma gave it to me (for Christmas I think) in December 1972, she has been gone since 1989 and I couldn't bear to lose this knife - it stays in the box except for the rare days it rides in my pocket at home (were it can be found if dropped). OH
Attachments
Buck 301 early 1973.JPG
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
Lansky1

Post by Lansky1 »

toomanyknives wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:38 pm
Lansky1 wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:06 pm There are only a very select few knives I love, but don't carry. These are fairly scarce, and I know I couldn't replace for what I paid for them. i.e. a mint Case R61093 - I got for $50 ... haven't seen one for under $140. A Case R6154 - same, got it for under $50 - couldn't replace it for anywhere close to that, even if I could find one. I only have a handful of GEC's and the only one I won't carry is a 2 blade congress, St. Paddy's day acrylic - got it for $70 & can't be replaced at any cost - just don't ever see them ... knife is amazing. Lastly, an appaloosa single blade peanut - amazing color ... got that for $30 & one pops up on the bay maybe once a year and it's always well over twice that... I guess the bottom line is the rare one's I really got deals on hold a special sentimental place & it's ok for those to stay put.
Now you've started a whole different part of my brain going, Lansky! I have a ton of knives I won't carry because I'm afraid I'll damage or lose them.
I'd love to see a picture of that single blade 54 Trapper. I like single blade knives. I have a single blade Copperhead that I love.. ::tu::
I too like the single blade knives ! Like the slimness, light weight & for whatever minimal tasks I do these days, one blade is enough. Here's the ones I referenced above ...
sfhn.jpg
pffffft that's not a knife ......... now THAT'S a knife !! Crocodile Dundee

John
toomanyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by toomanyknives »

Old Hunter wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:04 pm
toomanyknives wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:38 pm Now you've started a whole different part of my brain going, Lansky! I have a ton of knives I won't carry because I'm afraid I'll damage or lose them.
Different topic for sure. This Buck 301 only gets carried around the house even though it was my first Stockman. It created in me the Stockman bug that still afflicts me today and is the knife that caused me to be a Buck Knife man first and foremost. My late Grandma gave it to me (for Christmas I think) in December 1972, she has been gone since 1989 and I couldn't bear to lose this knife - it stays in the box except for the rare days it rides in my pocket at home (were it can be found if dropped). OH
Nice, OH. I carry a 303 a bit and it's a winner.
toomanyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by toomanyknives »

Lansky1 wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:53 pm
toomanyknives wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:38 pm
Lansky1 wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:06 pm There are only a very select few knives I love, but don't carry. These are fairly scarce, and I know I couldn't replace for what I paid for them. i.e. a mint Case R61093 - I got for $50 ... haven't seen one for under $140. A Case R6154 - same, got it for under $50 - couldn't replace it for anywhere close to that, even if I could find one. I only have a handful of GEC's and the only one I won't carry is a 2 blade congress, St. Paddy's day acrylic - got it for $70 & can't be replaced at any cost - just don't ever see them ... knife is amazing. Lastly, an appaloosa single blade peanut - amazing color ... got that for $30 & one pops up on the bay maybe once a year and it's always well over twice that... I guess the bottom line is the rare one's I really got deals on hold a special sentimental place & it's ok for those to stay put.
Now you've started a whole different part of my brain going, Lansky! I have a ton of knives I won't carry because I'm afraid I'll damage or lose them.
I too like the single blade knives ! Like the slimness, light weight & for whatever minimal tasks I do these days, one blade is enough. Here's the ones I referenced above ...

sfhn.jpg
Wow. I really like that 6154, Lansky! You're right, you don't see many. I see lots of Trapperlocks, which are nice too...
toomanyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by toomanyknives »

glennbad wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:56 pm Probably fixed blades. I have a ton of them, but don't have much call for carrying them.

Also Barlows. I have a bunch, but don't really carry them as an EDC.
With you there Glennbad. My fixed blades usually only see the woods. I have a few single blade Barlows that are starting to see more pocket time.
Toejammer

Post by Toejammer »

Italian stiletto's. Love em ! But they have that 1950's Sal Mineo switchblade stigma to them, so I don't even chance it. Even though none of mine are autos, they do tend to make the sheep nervous. 8)

My new herd. Had over 20 before the "2018 purge" happened. Slowly working my way back. I don't have the $$ for expensive ones, so I stick with the more affordable offerings. Honestly, I really like the old 1970's tourist trade stiletto's from Italy, back when you could bring a few back on the plane ride home !!

A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.
Bruce Lee
Jacknifeben

Post by Jacknifeben »

Don,t carry this knife but it surely is a favorite. This is the one with a sheep’s foot blade instead of the double fluted punch blade.
Attachments
6874C97B-E9EB-4480-9062-F474A4079B39.jpeg
865CA4FA-447D-4F19-BB00-98B920815C1C.jpeg
toomanyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by toomanyknives »

Toejammer wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:18 pm Italian stiletto's. Love em ! But they have that 1950's Sal Mineo switchblade stigma to them, so I don't even chance it. Even though none of mine are autos, they do tend to make the sheep nervous. 8)

My new herd. Had over 20 before the "2018 purge" happened. Slowly working my way back. I don't have the $$ for expensive ones, so I stick with the more affordable offerings. Honestly, I really like the old 1970's tourist trade stiletto's from Italy, back when you could bring a few back on the plane ride home !!

You're right toejammer. They do have that "bad boy" image. Yet people carry tons of tactical knives that could inflict much more damage.
Heck a Case peanut in the right hands is deadly! :lol: That's a cool collection you have though!
toomanyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by toomanyknives »

Jacknifeben wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:59 pm Don,t carry this knife but it surely is a favorite. This is the one with a sheep’s foot blade instead of the double fluted punch blade.
That's a fantastic knife, Jacknifeben! I should know it, but can't quite make out the tang stamp. What does
that stamp say if you don't mind my asking?
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

I like fixed blades, but I don’t like carrying them. I guess I never really found a sheath that hung right for me.

I love slim line trappers/farmer’s trappers but don’t carry one.

Shucks, I like most any old knife but typically only carry 4 1/4” stockman, large Congress, or a loomfixer. I will occasionally carry a canoe or sod buster Jr or CASE backpocket, but some how I just don’t feel right with less than 3 blades on a pocket knife, except for a loomfixer. ::shrug::
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
toomanyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by toomanyknives »

I'm right there with you Colonel! I just like havin' those 3 blades also...
Jacknifeben

Post by Jacknifeben »

That is one of my old Jack Knife Ben knives from Union stock yards back in the early 1900,s built by Napanoch. Here is the other pattern from the same time frame. Notice the punch blade.
Attachments
ADAC8E54-A460-4F55-BC97-8A8FF2C790B2.jpeg
97D3032E-69DF-4ACF-84E5-AB22C402909E.jpeg
toomanyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by toomanyknives »

Jacknifeben wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:01 pm That is one of my old Jack Knife Ben knives from Union stock yards back in the early 1900,s built by Napanoch. Here is the other pattern from the same time frame. Notice the punch blade.
Man, those are beautiful knives! Thanks for the reply!
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

toomanyknives wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:26 pm
Jacknifeben wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:01 pm That is one of my old Jack Knife Ben knives from Union stock yards back in the early 1900,s built by Napanoch. Here is the other pattern from the same time frame. Notice the punch blade.
Man, those are beautiful knives! Thanks for the reply!
Agree. ::nod:: ::nod::
bladecollectorr

Post by bladecollectorr »

Lots of handsome knives being posted!

I think Schrade's clasp and bowie knife patterns are very attractive and look great on display. I wouldn't carry either one. Clasp is too bulky, bowie too big. My guess is Schrade knew that going in. I think both were designed more to be seen than to be used (or they would have made 10 million of them).
13 Colonies clasp x1200.jpg
Copenhagen Bull Riders Bowie - 01 x1200.jpg
I don't always respond to great posts but I always appreciate seeing them. Thanks for posting! ::tu::
toomanyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by toomanyknives »

Those are killer, bladecollectorr! You are right. Those are eye candy for sure!
Jacknifeben

Post by Jacknifeben »

Nice knives, if I wasn’t to old I think I would expand my collection to Schrade.
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Jacknifeben wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:53 pm Nice knives, if I wasn’t to old I think I would expand my collection to Schrade.
What does age have to do with it? Go for it! Enjoy 'em while you can!!
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
Modern Slip Joints

Post by Modern Slip Joints »

toomanyknives wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:12 am Love y'alls choices, Modern and Jerry. I'm not familiar with a Case 62 pattern, Modern. What kind is that? I like those folding hunters a lot.

Jerry, you know I love the 72 and the 07. They are two of my all time favorites.
Back on page 2 you caught my typo. Most of us know Case's Folding Hunter is their 65. Unfortunately I did not reopen this thread while the opportunity to edit was still available.

Today I'm carrying a knife that I do not even like slightly, a new $10 S&W that is supposed to be spring assisted but the blade is so tight that it has to be opened manually. A minor problem with my dominant side thumb has it in a splint. It's awkward opening my traditional slip joints with my off side hand, hence the S&W. I could dig out my much easier to open Buck Alpha Hunter but I'm cycling the S&W hoping it will loosen up enough to function. If it doesn't it's going back to the retailer. Suckers for $10 knives are smart sticking to ones they can handle before buying or return easily.

I'm thinking about making my back yard belt knife a Folding Hunter for the winter. That won't happen until after the splint is off.
toomanyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by toomanyknives »

Modern Slip Joints wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:31 am
toomanyknives wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:12 am Love y'alls choices, Modern and Jerry. I'm not familiar with a Case 62 pattern, Modern. What kind is that? I like those folding hunters a lot.

Jerry, you know I love the 72 and the 07. They are two of my all time favorites.
Back on page 2 you caught my typo. Most of us know Case's Folding Hunter is their 65. Unfortunately I did not reopen this thread while the opportunity to edit was still available.

Today I'm carrying a knife that I do not even like slightly, a new $10 S&W that is supposed to be spring assisted but the blade is so tight that it has to be opened manually. A minor problem with my dominant side thumb has it in a splint. It's awkward opening my traditional slip joints with my off side hand, hence the S&W. I could dig out my much easier to open Buck Alpha Hunter but I'm cycling the S&W hoping it will loosen up enough to function. If it doesn't it's going back to the retailer. Suckers for $10 knives are smart sticking to ones they can handle before buying or return easily.

I'm thinking about making my back yard belt knife a Folding Hunter for the winter. That won't happen until after the splint is off.
Ahh, gotcha! I had a cheap S&W that I carried a lot a few years ago. It said Made in USA on it. I had my doubts, but it was a great knife until I lost it! I hate when that happens!
Modern Slip Joints

Post by Modern Slip Joints »

The best known of the knives that were actually made by S&W were the Blackie Collins designed series that they made in the 1970s. One of them was a drop point lock back with wood sides. They have a good reputation. From the 1980s on S&W let Taylor use their brand name on knives most of which were made in Pacific rim countries. I do not recall Taylor having any made in the USA but maybe I've forgotten some.

With my off side thumb a small percentage of the time I can give my new S&W assisted opening knife's blade enough momentum to get it to open all the way so maybe I'll be able to make it function after my strong side thumb is healed. I do not expect a whole lot for $10 and it's barely worth the trouble of returning.
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Not really a pattern, but I rarely carry my GEC knives but I'm starting to change that!!
Attachments
20201123_151220.jpg
20201120_144649.jpg
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Scott, that 35 Churchill from 2017 looks like it may have seen some use. True?
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

jerryd6818 wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:54 pm Scott, that 35 Churchill from 2017 looks like it may have seen some use. True?
Key word is "some". Yes sir.
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
toomanyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by toomanyknives »

TripleF wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:28 am Not really a pattern, but I rarely carry my GEC knives but I'm starting to change that!!
Those are beauties, TripleF!

Return to “General Knife Discussion”