Loomfixer Love: Show them if ya got them.

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Loomfixer Love: Show them if ya got them.

Post by Colonel26 »

The most awesome pattern CASE ever discontinued (and other makers as well). I know y’all have some out there, let’s show them some love. So CASE, Kabar, and any other brands that may be out there, let’s seem ‘em.

I’ll start with the one I pack the most, 6 dot wood handled. It was my first one and came to me with this awesome patina, these big ol thick blades sure do get sharp.
2BA0FE73-EE4F-4481-A73D-E0A7C5E35946.jpeg
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Loomfixer Love: Show them if ya got them.

Post by jerryd6818 »

I'll join ya Cuz, with a Ka-Bar. I can't afford those Case Loom Fixers. (I gotta get a new picture. This one stinks. But first, I gotta find the knife. ::facepalm:: )
Attachments
Kabar_Loom_Fixer_labeled.JPG
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

I picked this honey up at the Shenandoah Valley show a few years back, still have it and love it. 😻
Attachments
1365479071321.jpg
1365479071321.jpg (6.54 KiB) Viewed 3977 times
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

jerryd6818 wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:51 pm I'll join ya Cuz, with a Ka-Bar. I can't afford those Case Loom Fixers. (I gotta get a new picture. This one stinks. But first, I gotta find the knife. ::facepalm:: )
That's a dandy! I like the looks of the Kabars.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

1967redrider wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:09 pm I picked this honey up at the Shenandoah Valley show a few years back, still have it and love it. 😻
Man that is a nice one! Well done!
Robert E. Lee
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

So a "Loom Fixer" is a 2 blade sway back jack with a master blade similar to a sheepsfoot blade ?
kj
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Not necessarily Roland, KA-BAR/Union Cut made some they called "New England Whaler".
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

kootenay joe wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:13 pm So a "Loom Fixer" is a 2 blade sway back jack with a master blade similar to a sheepsfoot blade ?
kj
The "loomfixer" pattern is a large, 4" swayback jack with one bolster at the pivot end, and a large sheepsfoot master blade and a large pen secondary. The CASE version at least has very positive half stops.

As Gunsil points out some very early knives of this pattern were called New England Whalers. From what I understand the Loom Fixer moniker came from the southern part of the US where this pattern was often used by the loom fixers in textile mills to cut away thread and yarn and such from the looms. The loom fixer name then stuck.

At least that's my understanding. The CASE pattern number is 6217.
Robert E. Lee
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Here's another 6 dot. For some reason I can turn up 6 dots quicker than any other year, must have bee a good year for loomfixers!
IMG_1492.jpeg
Robert E. Lee
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Gunsil wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:34 pm Not necessarily Roland, KA-BAR/Union Cut made some they called "New England Whaler".
Gene;you mean something like this?
Attachments
Drawer4-2019 022.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
Beavertail

Post by Beavertail »

kootenay joe wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:13 pm So a "Loom Fixer" is a 2 blade sway back jack with a master blade similar to a sheepsfoot blade ?
kj
My Grandfather was a loom fixer in the cotton mill.
He carried a Case loom fixer.
He would be hired by cotton mill to fix the looms and get them working correctly.
He said it would take about six months to a year to get them working.
Mother says they moved a lot when she was a kid.She's 93 and still going strong!
I love hearing her talk about when she was growing up.
Tim
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I guess I'll empty the pot with my other one and done. Rough Rider calls it a Coal Miner Half Hawk. ::shrug::
Attachments
Rough Rider Coal Miner Half-Hawk - Labeled.JPG
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
TPK

Post by TPK »

"Loomfixer's" is a knew one for my knifer vocabulary. They do look like a great pattern. ::tu:: ::nod::
Good looking knives everyone! ::tu:: ::super_happy::
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
TPK

Post by TPK »

jerryd6818 wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:24 pm I guess I'll empty the pot with my other one and done. Rough Rider calls it a Coal Miner Half Hawk. ::shrug::
Oh cool one Jerry, that's about the exact same pattern. I could actually find and afford one of those. ::hmm::
As soon as I have some money left over, I might get me one of those. ::hmm:: :D
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

Colonel26 wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:31 pm The most awesome pattern CASE ever discontinued (and other makers as well). I know y’all have some out there, let’s show them some love. So CASE, Kabar, and any other brands that may be out there, let’s seem ‘em.

I’ll start with the one I pack the most, 6 dot wood handled. It was my first one and came to me with this awesome patina, these big ol thick blades sure do get sharp.

Colonel, I couldn't agree with you more! I guess the loom fixers liked these too. The greenbone XX on the right had badly shattered scales when I got it, so I outfitted it with new greenbone. I'm still not sure if I like the effect or not. It might be in line for a "do-over" one of these days. :D
Attachments
DSCN9329.JPG
DSCN9330.JPG
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
Jdub

Post by Jdub »

I carried a loom for quite some time. Very nice knife and is a great user.
Attachments
4481D1B0-4FDC-4DE8-AED4-74FE03139287.jpeg
453E257C-AE0D-4B24-9CB7-FCFE17D0A516.jpeg
7E2CF6DA-E1F0-48DA-A64C-F4EC89DE4DDB.jpeg
B8027985-453A-4494-B8AD-6D8B14B84CC1.jpeg
380797B9-22C5-4541-A2C0-364B5F9E6D0A.jpeg
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Beavertail wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:14 pm
kj
My Grandfather was a loom fixer in the cotton mill.
He carried a Case loom fixer.
He would be hired by cotton mill to fix the looms and get them working correctly.
He said it would take about six months to a year to get them working.
Mother says they moved a lot when she was a kid.She's 93 and still going strong!
I love hearing her talk about when she was growing up.
That is wonderful!!! I would love to hear her stories.
Robert E. Lee
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

herbva wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:42 pm
Colonel26 wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:31 pm The most awesome pattern CASE ever discontinued (and other makers as well). I know y’all have some out there, let’s show them some love. So CASE, Kabar, and any other brands that may be out there, let’s seem ‘em.

Colonel, I couldn't agree with you more! I guess the loom fixers liked these too. The greenbone XX on the right had badly shattered scales when I got it, so I outfitted it with new greenbone. I'm still not sure if I like the effect or not. It might be in line for a "do-over" one of these days. :D
Oh man! Now those are beautiful.

I love the one you redid.
Robert E. Lee
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Jdub wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:08 pm I carried a loom for quite some time. Very nice knife and is a great user.
What beautiful bone in that one. I’d pack it too. Outstanding.
Robert E. Lee
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Here’s another 6 dot. I have no idea why 6 dots are so easy to find.
DD46B52F-2008-4D1C-8416-6F2D1259BB26.jpeg
Robert E. Lee
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

knife7knut wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:06 pm
Gunsil wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:34 pm Not necessarily Roland, KA-BAR/Union Cut made some they called "New England Whaler".
Gene;you mean something like this?
That would go well in any loomfixer collection.
Robert E. Lee
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

TPK wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:32 pm
jerryd6818 wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:24 pm I guess I'll empty the pot with my other one and done. Rough Rider calls it a Coal Miner Half Hawk. ::shrug::
Oh cool one Jerry, that's about the exact same pattern. I could actually find and afford one of those. ::hmm::
Good luck finding one for sale. It's out of stock at all the dealers I checked and there are none on eBay.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

I can assure you that all mine came from bottom trolling. lol There are deals out there, just not everyday. And truthfully, I do better on Loomfixers at gun and knife shows than on line.
Robert E. Lee
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

jerryd6818 wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:20 pm
Good luck finding one for sale. It's out of stock at all the dealers I checked and there are none on eBay.
Wow! I knew RR was the last company making them. I hope they haven’t stopped.

Yours, and all the others I’ve seen from RR have been very pretty knives.
Robert E. Lee
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

It's a fine knife, Cuz. Even if it is a Rough Rider. Had I been able to predict the future, I would have bought a half dozen instead of just one.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012

Return to “General Knife Discussion”