Skiers Knife?

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
deo-pa
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Skiers Knife?

Post by deo-pa »

Does anyone have any insights into this knife currently on eBay?

[url] https://www.ebay.com/itm/333678105132?ul_noapp=true[I/url]

Roland (kj) you are quite knowledgeable about C.F. Kayser; ever seen one? Also, typical spelling is “Kaiser.”

Dennis
Attachments
F91483AD-D4C1-4C15-ACBA-291BF0D20682.jpeg
cody6268

Re: Skiers Knife?

Post by cody6268 »

Odd knife. That hooked implement sort of looks like a hoof pick, but the end is squard and not rounded--a tool for ski bindings?
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Seller says made by C.F. Kayser in 1960-70's. C.F. Kayser never go going again after WW II. There might have been some left over parts that were assembled into knives ?
Skier's knife ? No. The curved tool looks more like a typesetter's tool for moving the letter blocks into position.
Nice looking knife and i think worth the asking price. It likely is a 'real' CFK, made in 1920's-1930's, i.e. pre WW II, rather than assembled from CFK parts after WW II.
I not an expert and could be wrong.
kj
deo-pa
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by deo-pa »

That makes more sense to me Roland. I'd forgotten that I have (what I was told) is a typesetter's knife. It's blade is not as dramatically curved. Also it has one of those narrow screwdriver-like blades like this Kayser knife does. I wonder if there is a YouTube video somewhere showing how typesetters actually used such knives?
Also, typical spelling is “Kaiser.”
Ignore this comment in my original post. I was mistakenly thinking C.F. Kaiser was the predominant spelling for this maker, when in fact it is C.F. Kayser. However, I believe I read somewhere that there are examples of C.F Kaiser knives. Does anyone know if that is true? I wonder about that because here is a photo of a C.F. Kayser knife where the "Y" is weakly struck making it look a bit like an "I" and that could be the source of any such examples.

Dennis
Attachments
Kayser_2.jpg
Kayser_2.jpg (14.15 KiB) Viewed 505 times
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

The C.F. Kayser family originally spelled their name as "Kaiser". However they changed the spelling to "Kayser" in the late 1800's soon after starting the knife manufacturing business. As far as i know all their knives are marked "C.F. Kayser".
kj
1fartsmella
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by 1fartsmella »

This is one sold back in 2018

ANTIQUE C.F. KAYSER SPECIAL PURPOSE POCKET KNIFE - 3 3/8" closed. Unused, never been sharpened New Old Stock condition. Vintage unsure, circa 1890s to 1920s. Black synthetic handles with no cracks or chips. Unusual super sharp, round tip master blade stamped C.F. KAYSER SOLINGEN. Other blades not marked. Has a screw driver/wire stripper blade, a narrow screw driver and a unique key style, hook tip special purpose blade. Blades have strong snap with no side to side play. The blades still retain the original factory finish and the original super sharp factory edge. It would be interesting to find out the "Special Purpose" this knife was designed for. This knife said to have come from a sales man's roll owned by Helga Kayser, one of the last surviving members of the C.F. Kayser cutlery family. A well made, truly unique pocket knife.

I'm guessing this was some kind of Linesman's tool, the hook blade might be a kind of spanner wrench?
Attachments
CFK HK FT.jpg
CFK HK BK.jpg
CFK HK OPN HK.jpg
Barry
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thanks for posting my knife, well the knife i used to own. Could the O.P. knife be the knife that i used to own ? I do not see any scuffs or stains/marks on handle or blades that might show it to be the same knife.
kj

Return to “General Knife Discussion”