Steel comparison chart

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
OSCAR

Steel comparison chart

Post by OSCAR »

I came across a site that compares various knife steels. They rate edge retention, corrosion resistance, toughness etc. Also gives the compositions and history of them. Very useful information for knife enthusiasts. I hope you find this useful. Oscar
https://knifesteelnerds.com/2018/11/05/ ... el-knives/
"The Edge...There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Steel comparison chart

Post by herbva »

Thanks Oscar! Indeed very interesting and useful information, especially being able to see the actual differences in the micrographs. ::tu:: ::tu::
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

Thanks for that link; however, it seems to only focus on D-2 steel. Not trying to compete with you, but here is a link that provides a very concise steel chart that lists each and every type of mineral additives used in a particular steel. This site is the most comprehensive I've ever seen regarding knife information.
They also have a non-stainless steel chart...just click on the tab just above the chart(s).

https://agrussell.com/chart
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

KLJ77 wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 3:11 pm Thanks for that link; however, it seems to only focus on D-2 steel. Not trying to compete with you, but here is a link that provides a very concise steel chart that lists each and every type of mineral additives used in a particular steel. This site is the most comprehensive I've ever seen regarding knife information.
They also have a non-stainless steel chart...just click on the tab just above the chart(s).

How cool is that!? :) I've looked at that chart a hundred times and I never noticed that non-stainless steel tab. :oops: Thanks for pointing that out!
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

Railsplitter wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 3:17 pm
KLJ77 wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 3:11 pm Thanks for that link; however, it seems to only focus on D-2 steel. Not trying to compete with you, but here is a link that provides a very concise steel chart that lists each and every type of mineral additives used in a particular steel. This site is the most comprehensive I've ever seen regarding knife information.

How cool is that!? :) I've looked at that chart a hundred times and I never noticed that non-stainless steel tab. :oops: Thanks for pointing that out!
::tu:: ::handshake::
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

IMHO obsessing over knife steel details is interesting but kinda “wonky” - too much emphasis is put into the steel, and not enough in how it was used.
Look, there are many good knife steels out there. When sites and discussions go on and on about steel types and properties, ad nauseam, they are often ignoring balance, fit, finish, geometry, accessories, service, and design. Don't get distracted by steel property details! The steel is just the start of the knife, not the whole. If it were, every knife maker in the world would be out of business, not buried in orders and very expensive projects. When you see this type of site, ask to see their knives. That will tell you a lot!
- Jay Fisher

www.jayfisher.com is an interesting site. From the home page click on “Knife Blades”, then scroll down to the link to steels. Warning - the site has a wealth of information on all things “knife”. You can spend hours there. I don’t know Jay Fisher nor do I own any of his knives - I can’t afford one. But I love the web site. ::tu::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

And yet, Jay Fisher himself goes on and on and on about knife steels, breaking it down, cussing and discussing the properties and the making of steel; ad nauseam. :roll: And then sells his knives for $1500.00 - $5000.00 and more.

I get, and fully understand that; Fisher is one of the greatest knife makers around, but for him to project himself as being condescending toward those who ask about specific types of steel, their make up, etc., is just making himself look foolish. Nevertheless, I have enjoyed perusing his site and have gleaned some knowledge from his writings, albeit, overlooking a lot of his arrogance.

The average lay person who is collecting knives, or whatever, is not truly obsessing over knife steel, but is just being interested in part of the makeup of a knife. I agree that the blade steel used is not the most important part of a knife, but there are those who tend to purchase particular knives with particular steels.

anyway...my thoughts on this, which are not really worth the .2 cents I dropped on it. I just like throwing away money, sometimes. :lol:
LJ

petesknives

Post by petesknives »

If I were to spend a few thousand dollars on a custom made knife, I would like to know the type of steel used.

Unless I hit the lottery that won't happen in my lifetime.

The charts just have alot of information that
basically of no use for me.

Ken🔪🔪
"Buy more ammo!" Johnnie Fain RIP

"Buy the ticket, take the ride"
Hunter S. Thompson. RIP
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

If I were to spend a few thousand dollars on a knife, steel wouldn't make a bit of difference to me. It would go on display and never get used.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
petesknives

Post by petesknives »

Steve Warden wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 6:45 pm If I were to spend a few thousand dollars on a knife, steel wouldn't make a bit of difference to me. It would go on display and never get used.
I agree Sarge ::tu::

Ken🔪🔪
"Buy more ammo!" Johnnie Fain RIP

"Buy the ticket, take the ride"
Hunter S. Thompson. RIP
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

Steve Warden wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 6:45 pm If I were to spend a few thousand dollars on a knife, steel wouldn't make a bit of difference to me. It would go on display and never get used.
Can't argue with that logic, Steve. ::tu::
LJ

Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

After reading-reading my post I guess I should point out that my ”kinda wonky” comment is not intended to be judgmental. Note I went on to recommended a site frequented by my own wonky self! :lol: I agree with what you’ve said Ken. Most of it is useless information to me also. I find it interesting - I just don’t use it to guide my knife purchases. I don’t buy $1000+ knives either.

As for Jay Fisher’s web site, he provides his knowledge and facts, along with his opinions about a lot of things. If I can sum up at least my impression of what he says about steels, it is that he will make a knife for you from what ever steel you want, but you’ll be hard pressed to beat the all around qualities of 440C.

Most of my collection is carbon steel, and carbon steel is what I have carried and used all my life with no real complaints. Mr. Fisher is clearly not an advocate. In fact he has some quite disparaging things to say about it. ::uc:: It’s a wonder I didn’t die years ago! :lol:

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Here's a simple chart I refer to sometimes, it (usually) gets the job done for me. I forget where I borrowed this from.
Attachments
Screenshot_20200524-111114.png
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 6:59 pm After reading-reading my post I guess I should point out that my ”kinda wonky” comment is not intended to be judgmental. Note I went on to recommended a site frequented by my own wonky self! :lol: I agree with what you’ve said Ken. Most of it is useless information to me also. I find it interesting - I just don’t use it to guide my knife purchases. I don’t buy $1000+ knives either.

As for Jay Fisher’s web site, he provides his knowledge and facts, along with his opinions about a lot of things. If I can sum up at least my impression of what he says about steels, it is that he will make a knife for you from what ever steel you want, but you’ll be hard pressed to beat the all around qualities of 440C.

Most of my collection is carbon steel, and carbon steel is what I have carried and used all my life with no real complaints. Mr. Fisher is clearly not an advocate. In fact he has some quite disparaging things to say about it. ::uc:: It’s a wonder I didn’t die years ago! :lol:

Ken
Hey Ken...I trust you didn't think I was ::poke:: you...that was not my intent in my comments. I agree with what you've stated too. Glad we're on the same page. ::tu:: ::handshake::
LJ

Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

Not one mention in this entire thread of heat treatment... ::hmm::

You can pay a premium for whatever kind of new-look super steels you want, but it's not often a knife maker can beat what Buck has done in the past with good old 440 (or the 420HC they use nowadays) at the same price point.

Just my two cents. No refunds! :lol:
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Tsar Bomba wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 9:36 pm Not one mention in this entire thread of heat treatment... ::hmm::

You can pay a premium for whatever kind of new-look super steels you want, but it's not often a knife maker can beat what Buck has done in the past with good old 440 (or the 420HC they use nowadays) at the same price point.

Just my two cents. No refunds! :lol:
I agree 100%. It wasn’t stated specifically but in my earlier post it is included as part of ”how it is used“. A most important part. It’s also extensively explored on Jay Fisher’s site, for those interested. How steel is tempered is as important as the content IMHO. ::tu::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Not to be obsessed over the steel types, but it’s good to know (in a general sense), their properties. I think that most any steel can achieve a sharp edge. The lesser quality ones won’t hold that edge long. I like to know what I’m buying. While I cannot afford custom made, or some of the newer so called super steel, there are some affordable blades that are better than others in the same price range.
And some of the older composition steels are excellent. The 440C, is a good old standby.
I recently purchased a Buck 110 in Cpm154 powder steel for about $80. It’s no sharper than
Buck’s Hc 400 series but it holds its edge way better. We will have more choices once the prices of these high end blades comes down.
"The Edge...There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Unless I was to be forging knives, I really have no need to know the steel make-up.
I'm not even one to obsess over SS or CV.
I figure that as long as I'm getting a knife from a known maker, or at least one recommended by the folks here, I'm getting a good steel.

But that's me.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

BladeHQ did an excellent knife steel comparison-

https://www.bladehq.com/cat--Best-Knife ... uide--3368

I tend to agree with their assessment of M390, it's amazing stuff!
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

Thanks for posting the steel guide, John. I didn't know BladeHQ did one. ::tu:: Lots of good information to compare.
LJ

Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Think back to your military training - the NCO’s would tell you this is “need to know information “ or this is “nice to know information “. Blade steel comparisons fall into the “nice to know” category - I do like reading about it occasionally, however for me it is not the decision maker on which knife I buy. Thanks for all the links gents - it is nice to have them to look at. OH
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark

Return to “General Knife Discussion”