Centering

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Centering

Post by 1967redrider »

Blade centering on a single bladed tactical knife is more noticeable than a 3 blade Stockman. At some of the designer prices they're asking for tactical knives, I would be disappointed if everything wasn't 100% on a $150+ knife that only has 1 blade. Just my preference.
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Lansky1

Post by Lansky1 »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 12:26 am John I didn’t have anyone in particular in mind. I just had someone on Ebay that asked me that question and while I was taking pictures and answering the question someone else bought it. Makes me feel badly. That’s why I am asking. Just want to see how important this is and try to remember to include that in the future. It wasn’t the first time I have been asked this and honestly never noticed it on a knife or even looked for it. Like I said, if it’s not contacting the liner, I don’t see the importance.
Glad you have figured a way to straighten this on a knife. I considered trying that but don’t want to take a chance on doing damage. I’ve seen too many damaged knives and don’t want them to be mine.
SSK - no worries, I was just trying to be self deprecating about my obsession with centered blades ... crinking I found isn't really tough at all - just have to take my time - and gradually build up enough force to move the blade - might take me 15-20 little hammer strikes (checking after each one) as I gradually increase the force to where it moves - I've been lucky to have never broken one yet (although I did overdue it on a 1979 mini-T I just couldn't get to move & spread the bolster, so I had to re-pein it - I crinked a 70's copperhead with no trouble, so each knife is different).

If anybody's interested, I just lay a 3/8" thick scrap of soft wood as opposed to hard wood for better shock absorption - soft wood actually slightly dents (which I think is a good thing) on a bench - lay the knife blade against the scrap wood, and make sure to make flush hammer blows (I cover the face with duct tape). Key is to actually push the body of the knife down snug against the bench so there's no wobble during the strike. Here's before and after on an old 107w I just gave a good crinking to ---->
IMG-1968.jpg
IMG-1973.jpg
IMG-1976.jpg
pffffft that's not a knife ......... now THAT'S a knife !! Crocodile Dundee

John
rea1eye

Post by rea1eye »

Lansky1 wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 3:03 am
Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 12:26 am John I didn’t have anyone in particular in mind. I just had someone on Ebay that asked me that question and while I was taking pictures and answering the question someone else bought it. Makes me feel badly. That’s why I am asking. Just want to see how important this is and try to remember to include that in the future. It wasn’t the first time I have been asked this and honestly never noticed it on a knife or even looked for it. Like I said, if it’s not contacting the liner, I don’t see the importance.
Glad you have figured a way to straighten this on a knife. I considered trying that but don’t want to take a chance on doing damage. I’ve seen too many damaged knives and don’t want them to be mine.
SSK - no worries, I was just trying to be self deprecating about my obsession with centered blades ... crinking I found isn't really tough at all - just have to take my time - and gradually build up enough force to move the blade - might take me 15-20 little hammer strikes (checking after each one) as I gradually increase the force to where it moves - I've been lucky to have never broken one yet (although I did overdue it on a 1979 mini-T I just couldn't get to move & spread the bolster, so I had to re-pein it - I crinked a 70's copperhead with no trouble, so each knife is different).

If anybody's interested, I just lay a 3/8" thick scrap of soft wood as opposed to hard wood for better shock absorption - soft wood actually slightly dents (which I think is a good thing) on a bench - lay the knife blade against the scrap wood, and make sure to make flush hammer blows (I cover the face with duct tape). Key is to actually push the body of the knife down snug against the bench so there's no wobble during the strike. Here's before and after on an old 107w I just gave a good crinking to ---->

IMG-1968.jpg
IMG-1973.jpg
IMG-1976.jpg

So what you are doing then is slightly bending the blade near the tang? And this does not
cause a blade wobble?

Interesting.

Bob
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

Hmmm...I think it more likely that you are bending the pivot pin, rather than bending the blade. I like it! I have broken a couple of blades trying to crink them, but I use my stiddy and have tried to bend the blade near the tang. This method looks like it may be less stressful on the blades. I will give it a try!
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
Lansky1

Post by Lansky1 »

actually, I find most of the time on the Case's I've crinked, the blade takes a slight bend in the half closest to the tip which makes them off center, so I'm sure to strike the blade around the mid point, maybe a tad closer to the tip ... not near the tang (which would be more inclined to loosen or bend the pin). I'm very aware of blade wobble - that's even more of a pet peeve to me than off center blades. As I said, I've done this on alot of Case knives & I've only loosened a pin once - the way I've come up with to do this doesn't loosen the pivot pin at all. ::tu::
pffffft that's not a knife ......... now THAT'S a knife !! Crocodile Dundee

John
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Would there be any way to make this blade center better by removing the blade screw? It almost looks like the liner lock is causing the issue. Just a cheap knife so it doesn't bother me (that much 😉).

The second picture of the lock is in resting position and the third is me pushing left on the blade tip.
Attachments
15908661357012775098217486364197.jpg
15908661713581124392353278879424.jpg
15908661977201411710447605648427.jpg

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Can you tighten the screw? It looks like the screw is loose and there is a lot of space between the blade at the pivot point.
I have a cheap knife that is put together w/ screws and it comes loose all the time. It was a freebie that SMKW threw in. Not worth a buck.
If that doesn’t work, try taking it apart and bending that liner lock a bit in the other direction.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

You were 💯% right, the screw was loose. Thanks, I like easy. 😎
Attachments
15908758387304958592362013969859.jpg

Return to “General Knife Discussion”