Your knives with the best snap ...

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Your knives with the best snap ...

Post by jerryd6818 »

woodwalker wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:19 pm and a victorinox day packer. That day packer will jump out of your hand.
As my Grandma Sarah (rest her soul) used to say, "Tee hee hee, ain't that the truth". And if you're not careful, slice you to the bone on the way out.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
wlf

Post by wlf »

herbva wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:55 pm All of my larger Case knives have great snap, particularly the pattern 99 1/2 "Railsplitters". But, the most ferocious snap I have ever experienced was on a Joseph Rodgers Sheffield British Navy issue sailor's rigging knife. It was downright dangerous and I sold it in November. I think this thing could whack your finger off it you had your finger in the wrong place. It was also very difficult to open the blades on this knife due to the strength of the springs. The funny part was the company that sold these to the public actually had a sort of disclaimer on their website: "This knife is standard issue to British Navy personnel and is made to the rigid specifications of the Ministry of Defense. The tightness of the blade action is no accident, the Navy requires it this way." ::hmm::
That's the snap early GEC 23s and 72s had, some called them nail breakers, I liked it.
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

I have a gec 73 two blade trapper (from 2011 I think) and it has very hard snap, very satisfying. Awesome knife meant for working hands.
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
rea1eye

Post by rea1eye »

So do you think louder snap would be positive correlation to more difficulty to open ( nail breakers )?

Bob
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

rea1eye wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:24 pm So do you think louder snap would be positive correlation to more difficulty to open ( nail breakers )?

Bob
It can be but isn't always.
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

I think it depends on the reason for the difficulty in opening. For example, it its difficult to open because it is rusted shut, then the answer is no. :lol:
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

Best closing snap:

2020-01-15_07-01-55.jpg

Best ooening snap is a tie between my two 4-line Camillus TL-29s. This is the one I toted today:

2020-01-15_07-02-03.jpg
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

rea1eye wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:24 pm So do you think louder snap would be positive correlation to more difficulty to open ( nail breakers )?

Bob
Not necessarily. I’ve seen a couple that were nail-breakers to open but had disappointingly lazy close (they were not rusted). A really good knife will be relatively easy and smooth to open and have a good audible click sound on closing.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

My Cattaraugus and older Case (XX and Tested eras) seem to have the best snap. I have a 62031 1/2 in Rough Black with LP that Lyle traded to me, the snap about takes the fillings out of my teeth. A Tested Lineman's knife I have is pretty close too. ::nod:: They all have half stops.
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

Lansky1 wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:35 pm I have a 2010 Case single blade slimline trapper (G10 sides) that snaps shut so hard with such a nice sound, it makes me smile ::ds::

Lets have your best snappers ...
I gather that when it comes to snap, most of you fellows equate best and hardest. I absolutely disagree. I want a knife to make an audible click when the blade closes, but I do not want to worry about losing a finger if I am careless. Or breaking my thumbnail opening! Here is a knife that is pretty much perfect in my opinion: smooth and easy to open, snaps shut just right: a Bulldog whittler.
Bulldog Whittler
Bulldog Whittler
And for anyone who like a dangerous snap, here is a Rough Rider clasp knife. You better not have a finger in the way when that blade closes!
Attachments
Rough Rider
Rough Rider
Mel
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

If it doesn’t have a good stuff pull and authoritative snap it doesn’t get carried, most likely won’t stay around unless it’s a place holder.

I have a 1978 CASE 63047 that I acquired near mint from a friend because he had to use a butter knife to get the spey open. It also has that across the room snap that I love.

My CASE Loomfixers all have amazing snap, as do my XX era 6375’s. One of them is WELL worn and the back spring on the clip blade sits in a little from wear. It’ll still take a finger off with its snap. Lol.

But I guess my favorites are “double snaps” knives that have half stops with great snap. One of my best is a newer CASE wharncliff large copperhead. It’s also great open, close, and half stop!
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
bladecollectorr

Post by bladecollectorr »

This thread makes me reassess my need for a knife-pick.

The last knife that made me say "Whoa, this is like a bear-trap" was this 1984 "Sears Christmas Wishbook" Schrade. I've had a couple hundred Schrade knives and this one one is surprisingly hard to open even with the deep nail pull. The "walk" is very smooth as it opens but the spring is super stiff. It snaps open with a very authoritative click sound. I think this might be another that's able to sever a finger if it caught one on a joint. The "talk" when it closes is a shout.

It's a big knife at 5-1/4" closed. Basically a dressed-up slip-joint variation on the 127UH "Lockblade Hunter" that came with a liner-lock.
01.jpg
This one is a micarta version "Lockblade Hunter" to show the different bolster for the liner-lock. It's snappy but not like the walnut one.
Jefferson SC500.jpg
I don't always respond to great posts but I always appreciate seeing them. Thanks for posting! ::tu::

Return to “General Knife Discussion”